Monday, December 8, 2008

Roasted Asparagus

I have a strange obsession with asparagus, I could eat it everyday. Using a few simple ingredients asparagus can be turned into a delicious side dish fit for a holiday table.



Wash and drain about 1 lb. of fresh asparagus.

Break the ends off the asparagus, You only want the tender taste part of this veggie. Gently take each end of the asparagus and bend it until it...

...snaps in half. Toss the stem or us it to make a cream of asparagus soup and keep the tender top half of the asparagus. Pile the asparagus in the center of a baking sheet season with salt, black pepper, 2 scallions thinly sliced, 4 cloves of garlic smashed. Toss the asparagus and seasonings with your hands and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil making sure to coat each spear.

Spread the asparagus in an even layer on the baking sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. You'll discover a whole new asparagus taste sensation.

18 comments:

Greg C said...

I did something similar on the grill and it was out of this world. Instead of using a baking sheet in the oven, I put some heavy foil on the grill and did it there. Yummmmmmm.

Peter M said...

I've always loved asparagus and don't get people who don't...rejoice!

Debbie said...

I love asparagus and could also eat it everyday. I've blanched it but have never roasted it. I'll have to try that.

Marjie said...

I love it, too! Lightly sauteed in butter with pepper....mmmm!

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

I love the taste of asparagus but it makes your pee smell, which annoys me.

gigi said...

"A new asparagus taste sensation???" If it's anything as good as the roasted broccoli, I'm all in!! I love asparagus any way any how!


It does makes your pee smell.

Maria said...

My favorite veggie!!

Pam said...

I love asparagus. This is the perfect way to cook it...simple, quick and tasty.

JodieMo said...

I'm also an asparagus freak. Every now and then I'll get real crazy and make Hollandaise just to pour over a big pile and call it breakfast.

Michele said...

roasting is the only way to make asparagus...at least in my opinion. Good olive oil and some finishing salt and you've got a perfect side for any meal. Asparagus is one of the veggies that I could eat most every day.

priscilla joy said...

yumm, this looks really good. do you mind Katherine if I use one of your pictures of your ooey gooey cookies? I am doing a post on my blog about bloggers who have made my recipes. Thanks!

pam said...

I love roasted asparagus.

La Bella Cooks said...

I have to say, with all the fantastic sauces you can do for asparagus, this is my favorite way to eat it. Just roasted with a few simple ingredients is the way to go!

HEATHER said...

Asparagus is my one of my favorites! This sounds delish!

Reeni said...

I'm one of those people! I don't like asparagus. It could be the way my Mom prepares it. She never does anything special like this with it. It's usually very mushey. I think I would like it a whole lot better your way!

Darius T. Williams said...

This is like the best way to eat an asparagus ever!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Aggie said...

Roasted asparagas is the best! This is my favorite way to eat it!

John Roberts said...

There are only two vegetables on my "won't touch with a ten foot pole" list, and this is one of them. Okra is the other offender. I'm sure you'll have a recipe for that tomorrow! ;-)