Thursday, July 19, 2012

Meatball Casserole

When I do find the time to make Spaghetti and Meatballs, it pains me to see any of it go to waste.  Even with the influx of lots of teenagers practically eating us out of house and home this summer, I had way too many meatballs leftover from this weekend to allow to go to waste.  Let me ask you this, doesn't hungry and teenager go hand in hand?  

After a Monday that was REALLY a "Monday", I threw this together.  This was the ticket and the best part, well actually there were two best parts...no three best parts...I had no leftovers, we all loved it, I had everything and didn't have to make a trip to the grocery store!

If you don't have leftover meatballs, buy a bag of the frozen meatballs and use a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce.  Also, if you don't have the Johnny's Garlic Spread Seasoning, instead make a blend of 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil.

2 cans crescent roll dough
1 block (8 oz.) of light cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 to 2 lbs. leftover meatballs (depending on size, cut in half or quartered)
3 cups spaghetti sauce
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.



Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick coking spray.  Unroll the crescent roll dough and press into baking dish, covering bottom of dish and pressing it half way up the sides of the dish.


Place the cream cheese in a small bowl and mash it with a fork.  Add in the Johnny's and thoroughly blend it in the cream cheese.  Spread the cream cheese in a thin layer over the crescent roll dough.  I found it easier to spread it out with my fingers than using a spatula.



Combine the meatballs and spaghetti sauce in a large bowl and the carefully pour or spoon it over the cream cheese and dough.


Sprinkle the shredded Mozzarella cheese over the top and pop that baby in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly.



Yum, melted Mozzarella cheese wrestling! Is that a sport?



If I don't get my fair share there will be some serious yelling going on!


I am so glad pictures of melty, stringy Mozzarella cheese are against the law (yet).



Pin It

13 comments:

Debbie said...

Too, too much!!! I LOVE this Katherine....I am going to try this the first chance I get. Thanks!

The JR said...

A whole lot easier to eat than a meatball poor boy. Looks great.

ooey gooey cheesey

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love this idea Katherine! Pictures of gooey cheese always catch my attention.

Becca's Dirt said...

Sounds so good Katherine. Love the idea of the crust and cream cheese. Crust and cream cheese make a dish don't they.

Not against the law yet but don't let Mayor Bloomberg hear about it.

HEATHER said...

Ohmygoodness! Looks delish!!

Big Dude said...

That looks really good Katherine

David said...

Katherine, That is one beautiful casserole dish full of comfort food! Give me a couple hunks of good Italian bread to go with that and I'd be in pig heaven... Thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Chris said...

Fabulous! I don't suppose there were any leftovers at all.

Unknown said...

This looked so awesome that I just made it. I am so screwed though since I forgot to spray the pan with non stick spray!! GRRR. Hope we can somehow manage to get the crescent dough out!

Unknown said...

We made this last weekend and ADORED it! We didn't have access to the Johnny's seasoning so we found this recipe to make our own: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/04/garlic-bread-seasoning/

My husband also liked adding sliced black olives to it.

So, sooo good!

Oh, and another thing you can make with leftover spaghetti is spaghetti pie. Family favorite.

I'm having trouble with my Google account showing up as "unknown" so I'll sign my comment here: Jamie (jamiesthots.com)

pcody said...

I am new to your site. I don't do Pinterest. How do I print your recipes? No print option that I can see. So I just cut and pasted the recipe and had to remove all the extra stuff to do so. :-(

AkronOhioMoms.com said...

Making this tonight! Was searching Pinterest for a recipe with Crescent Rolls and Meatballs and found this! Looks yummy.

Stop by my blog sometime for recipes. www.akronohiomoms.com

Joann said...

Hi Katherine, Just saw the recipe for "Meatball Crescents" and OMG it looks delicious and I can't wait to try it very soon. I do have a question, do you know how many this will serve? Thanks so much and I will let you know what we thought of it. :) Joann