Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Basic Meatloaf

When I was growing up, we had meatloaf a few times a year and my Mother always made it with a red gravy. My friends' moms also made meatloaf with a red gravy. Before I was married, I lived on my own for a while and once or twice I duplicated and tweaked my Mother's meatloaf serving it of course with the red gravy.



Then I got married and tweaked it some more and when I served meatloaf for the first time to my husband (which included red gravy), he stared at it like I was serving him swill. My new husband asked me, why did you "try" this with red gravy instead of brown? Long story short, he's always had meatloaf with brown gravy, a fact which after almost 17 years of marriage I need to remember to verify with his mom. I mean it's not like he and I were from different parts of the country; we lived in the same metro area and in our metro area meatloaf was served with red gravy which is my gravy of choice for meatloaf.

In the spirit of compromise, I normally serve meatloaf with brown gravy to keep my groom happy. The kicker is, when I get attitude and decide to make the meatloaf with red gravy since I do all of the cooking and I feel from time to time I should be able to cook what I want in my own kitchen, he has the cheek to say, "You know I like brown gravy on meatloaf, why do you ALWAYS make it with red gravy?".
So any way I now have proof that I don't always make meatloaf with red gravy.

Basic Meatloaf -






1lb. lean ground sirloin, 1/2 lb. regular breakfast sausage, 1/2 ground veal, 1 egg beaten, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat leaf parsley, 2 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl using your hands. This mixture will be very mushy, be careful not to overwork the meat or your meatloaf will be tough. Add Italian bread crumbs 1/2 cup at a time until your meat mixture become firm enough to hold shape. Form the meat mixture into a loaf and place in a high-sided roasting pan. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.




Baste the meatloaf with your gravy of choice and bake for 10 more minutes. Remove meatloaf from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before moving it to a serving platter.



The picture doesn't show it but the slices are moist and light.




I get all warmed up look at the picture and think that red would just make this picture pop. Oh well, I know the yellow mustard makes the taste pop.


22 comments:

tavolini said...

mmm--I like all gravy!

I don't think I've had red gravy. Of course, I'm from the part of the country that served meatloaf with ketchup....

Marjie said...

This looks good! We're from the "whatever gravy you make is OK with me" camp, which is to say that my dearly beloved doesn't gripe about his toppings! Thankfully!

Like your new look, BTW!

Maria said...

Love your new look!!

Debbie said...

I've never had red gravy. Sounds delicious!!! Usually mine has ketchup, although lately I have used Paula Deens recipe which has brown sugar on top mixed with ketchup! (your new look for your blog is really nice).

Pam said...

The new blog format looks great! I love meatloaf but have never heard of red gravy - I hope you will be putting a recipe of it on your blog soon.

Greg C said...

I am a red gravy man. My grandmother used to say that the reason her meatloaf tasted so good was because she put so much bread in it. I think hers was mostly bread.

SusanD said...

Greetings Katherine, My husband is not crazy about meatloaf (he must have gotten a bad one at some point), but I think I'll serve your recipe to him. I'll let you know how it goes. -- I really like your page layout, from reading the comments it must be new. -- I also like your photo.....red shoes and a polka dot dress. :) Blessings, Susan

The Blonde Duck said...

I never knew meatloaf had brown gravy.

gigi said...

This maybe crazy but what is red gravy anyway??

Reeni said...

I learn new things from you all the time! I don't know what red gravy is or that it even existed. Your meatloaf recipe sounds awesome, I love the mix of meats.

Mrs. G. said...

I am so making this. Mr. G. will love me forever. He loves meatloaf sandwiches the next day.

Paula said...

I've never had red gravy! But I'll be more than happy to give it a try! I looove meatloaf and your version has some new ingredients for me to try! YUM!

HEATHER said...

Sounds yummy, but now you have to share how you make the red gravy.
What we call red-eye gravy is made with ham grease, and black coffee.

Anonymous said...

I am by far not what I would call a seasoned cook but I do have fun trying new recipes. Your blog is so creative and full of wonderful recipes. Thanks for some great ideas. From Hudson ( Im Kind Of A Big Deal)a fellow blogger

Laurie said...

Katherine, I just couldn't resist stopping by even though I have a million things still to do and it's already after 11!

I have never heard of red gravy, but I am dying to know what it is.

I love meatloaf and yours looks awesome.

Dee said...

Please post recipes for your brown gravy and your red gravy. The brown looks delicious on the meatloaf.

Aggie said...

I haven't had meatloaf in so long...and I usually do the ketchup thing too. I really have to try it your way Katherine, this looks great. And with those roasted garlic potatoes!!

Peter M said...

I know...the red gravy is tops but you should also try a sawmill gravy of mushrooms...perfect for meatloaf.

Anonymous said...

Snow in NO!!
Unbelievable.
I bet they are dancin' in the streets there. I'm in NW LA and it's completely dry here & in the low 50's today...

Mmmmmmm. I can smell that yummy Meatloaf cookin' right now. But, please turn your head cause I'm gonna put some ketchup on it after it's in my plate...What is it about Meatloaf that seems to cause everyone to like it "just the way MaMa made it"??

Thanks for stoppin' by my blog.

Unknown said...

I love the new look of the blog. We love meatloaf in our house (it what my hubby asked for on his birthday). But what in the world is red gravy? I've never seen or heard of it. g

Anonymous said...

Oh, meatloaf! How I love thee!

Anonymous said...

Oh, meatloaf! How I love thee! Glad you mentioned the red gravy!!!

Just curious, but did you also grow up having spaghetti two ways -- w/ red gravy and also with brown gravy? My non-Louisiana friends always have a good laugh when I tell them that spaghetti with brown gravy is good!