Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Creole Oyster Soup

This was supposed to have been posted yesterday and I slipped up. I was blown away by how many people emailed me or commented that they wanted this recipe.

This soup is VERY good and I'm thinking that I am going to make this for Christmas. My brother-in-law, Gerrard, made this Thanksgiving and the recipe comes from a John Folse cookbook that we both have. I was just looking at the picture as I was typing - see in the upper left-hand corner, the place card? Thumbprint turkeys - too cute. Ok, I'm really trying to tell you that if you want to fit into your jeans or you're watching your cholesterol, stop reading now. You die-hards follow me and keep reading.

Just a note here, this soup calls for a light or blond roux. Cajuns are generally known for making dark rouxs; Creoles introduced the light rouxs to the Cajuns and Cajuns have adapted the light rouxs into many of their "staple" recipes.

6 dozen oysters
1 quart oyster liquid
3/4 cup butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup diced garlic
1/4 cup diced andouille sausage (can substitute smoke sausage)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 quarts heavy whipping cream
1 cup sliced green onions
1 cup chopped parsley
Salt, cayenne and hot sauce to taste
In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.

Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and andouille and saute for about 5 minutes until vegetables are wilted.

Sprinkle in flour and stir constantly with a wire wish to make a light roux.

Add oyster liquid and heavy whipping cream, stirring to incorporate and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer until cream has slightly reduced and has a soup consistency. Add oysters, green onions and parsley. Season with salt, cayenne and hot sauce to taste.

Ladle into soup bowls and serve with a pat of butter on top.

13 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never had oyster soup, but it looks tasty!

Debbie said...

I never heard of oyster soup but it has to be good with all the whipping cream! I love fried oysters. The soup looks wonderful and I would love to try this.

gigi said...

Thanks for this recipe. We always have Crab stew and roasted oysters for our company party. I'd really like to throw a big pot of this on the menu too. We'll see. I love oysters any way but raw. The boys mostly like them raw.

Reeni said...

I've never even had an oyster! But I'm willing to try your delicious soup!

Greg C said...

My problem is that the oysters never survive long enough around me to make it to the soup. I do love it though but then I love they oysters steamed and raw too.

Maria said...

I like oysters, never tried them in soup though! Looks good!

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

I'm drooling!

I have it bookmarked and hoping to make it but it's hard to resist eating them raw.

Marjie said...

A lady who sews commented that before Thanksgiving, she made herself some "turkey pants". Elastic waist eliminated her need to worry about what she ate for Thansgiving. I just love the name "turkey pants", so Ikept reading to find out how to make this delectable looking soup!

Pam said...

We make plain oyster stew for holidays - it's a family tradition. I will have to make this version for my family...they will LOVE it.

nicole said...

Can I get this to go? It looks good.

priscilla joy said...

i've never had this kind of soup before, but it looks delicious. something my brother would definately like.

John Roberts said...

Hey, when Ace raves about a recipe, you know requests are going to skyrocket!

John Roberts said...

You forgot the pronunciation key on this one: they're pronounced "ersters" in New Orleans.