Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pineapple Almond Cake


I was fortunate enough to happen upon this cake at Donna's blog, My Tasty Treasures and again on Gigi's blog, Afterthoughts and I knew I just had to make it. This cake without a doubt has to be one of the best cakes I've ever made. It's moist, delicious and the cream cheese icing...moans and groans with every bite.
I didn't quite have all of the ingredients in the original recipe and had to improvise with what I had on hand, plus I added a little something here and there.
This cake was also the perfect opportunity for me to introduce to you Singing Dog Organic Pure Vanilla Extract. Jennifer from Singing Dog sent a sample to me and now I'm hooked. Visit their website; Singing Dog has a wide array of organic products from coffee to vanilla paste.
The recipe called for 1 cup of pecans. I'm out of pecans right now so I decided to toast 1 cup almonds...pineapple, almonds they go together right?

Toast the almonds and while they are toasting, in a large bowl, mix together 2 cups of flour, 2 cups of sugar and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. Add in 2 eggs and one 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple with the juice and 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Stir until moistened then fold in the toasted almonds. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool completely before icing.
Icing:
1 stick butter, softened
1 8oz cream cheese softened
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
Be prepared for ungodly deliciousness!

Combine cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Use all of the frosting.
This part is very important: Make the icing when you're home alone...I'm serious, you won't want to share the spatula with anyone! You will wig out when you sink you teeth into a piece of this cake!


27 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

A GREAT CAKe, thanks for posting. the icing recipe is my go to icing, and I never share the spatula (unless my grandson is close, then i am putty in his little paws)

trailrider731 said...

hay hay, I ran across your Blog visiting Ramona's,

That Pinapple cake looks scrumptious, if only i could develope a taste for it.
I've grown up and will try a lot of new foods, but I just ccan't seem to wrap my taste buds around pineapple??? Odd I suppose.

I look forward to checking out other recipes!
NO to TEnn?? WOW, I've been through Tenn taking horses trailriding, and it is beautiful,,, Lucky you!!!

seeya,
the best is yet to come!!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sounds terrific, Katherine. Thanks!!!! I love that cream cheese icing... You could put it on a piece of cardboard and I'd lick it all off!!!! ha... But--the cake sounds wonderful with that icing.

Hope you have had a great weekend. We've had nothing but RAIN.
Hugs,
Betsy

gigi said...

I never thought that adding a whole tablespoon of vanilla could bump up the taste so much! It was way good! Glad another person confirmed my taste buds where right :) Hope you've had a great weekend.
Smiles!

Reeni said...

What a delicious treat of a cake!! Love that cream cheese frosting!!

Coleens Recipes said...

I totally agree with you. I made this the same day I saw it on Donna's web page and it was a HUGE hit here too. I was amazed that it stayed so moist (on day 2,3, etc) since it had no oil in it.

Marguerite said...

Now, just when I think I've seen the most delicious cake you've ever made, you lay this on me. I am printing it out and since I have all of the ingredients, I am going to make it, NOW! Looks sinfully delicious. Cest bon, cher!!

Anonymous said...

And here I was thinking all vanilla extracts were the same. Obviously I've got lots to learn.

FABULOUS cake!

April said...

This cake looks fantastic! Hope all is well on your side!

buffalodick said...

Once you use good, real vanilla- you never go back! It can be a stand alone flavor, when it's the good stuff!

tavolini said...

Nice!

All things are better with cream cheese frosting ;)

Marjie said...

Of course almonds and pineapple go together! I love cream cheese icing, but have never used it on anything except carrot cake. You're giving me ideas...

The JR said...

Thanks for posting it. I love pineapple, but hubby doesn't. Maybe I can trick him....

Ramona

vanillasugarblog said...

LOVE this combo my friend! love it!

Sherri Murphy said...

Sounds like the perfect dessert.

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

Yeah, you got me with the icing!

NKP said...

Mmm, pineapple almond sounds delicious! Lucky you to sample an organic vanilla. I will keep an eye out for it, if it ever comes up here to Canada.

Jennifer said...

I have that cake on my list of things to make, it looks absolutely divine!

pigpigscorner said...

Sounds fabulous with the nuts and frosting!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your version of the cake looks wonderful. I'll have to try the icing next time I bake. Hope all is well on your side of the continent. Have a great day.

Debbie said...

I saw this on Donna's blog and want to make it also. It looks so good Katherine! I know I will love it!

The Diva on a Diet said...

I saw this on Donna's blog too and put it on my "must try" list. I'd be happy with the almonds or pecans ... maybe even both. Well done!

Katy ~ said...

I keep promising myself to make this cake and I haven't done it yet. It looks and sounds so delicious. My stomach is growling like crazy for this one.

teresa said...

oh i'm sold, this looks fantastic!

Pam said...

I love pineapple and almonds so I am certain to love this cake.

Lea Ann said...

oh my, this sounds wonderful. You just might make a baker out of me afterall.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I would eat a big piece, looks terribly good.