Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Apple Bread

Monday evening when I arrived home from work, I walked to the mailbox, opened it, and found a box addressed to me from Gigi. I was totally thrilled and hadn't even opened it yet, but isn't that the magic of Christmas? Inside of the box I found a really sweet Christmas card and a huge bag of shelled pecans. I was ecstatic - Georgia pecans and I was touched by Gigi's kindness. Gigi wrote on the outside of the plastic bag that she shelled these pecans on her way to and from Missouri. Gigi saying you amaze me would be putting it lightly.


The pecans were right on time since I was planning to bake some apple bread to take to work. I work with four hungry guys that will eat anything that won't eat them first.


While this bread is baking, your house will smell like Christmas. When it comes out of the oven to cool you will hope the wonderful smell never ends!


Apple Bread -


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.




Grease and flour a standard size bread pan - this one is 8" x 4" x 3".





Cream one stick of softened butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Turn off mixer and add to bowl 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon apple pie spice, 1 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1 cup apple sauce, and 2 large eggs. Mix together until thoroughly blended.






Gigi's pecans before I chopped them. Gently fold in to bread batter 1/2 cup of chopped pecans and 1 cup of raisins.

The homegirlz go crazy over pecans. I walked out of the kitchen for 2 seconds and return to find Lauren in pecan heaven.
Pour batter into prepared bread pan and bake for 1 hour.
A nice accompaniment is apple butter cream cheese. Oh, please no groaning, it's the holidays! You can't eat bread dry! Soften one 8 ounce package of cream cheese. Whisk or beat the softened cream cheese with 1 cup of apple butter until smooth.

19 comments:

SusanD said...

Greetings Katherine, This apple bread recipe sound wonderful. I'm going to try it! Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Susan

gigi said...

OH MY GRACIOUS! Apple butter cream cheese. I've never heard of it! Since cream cheese and anything is my favorite I need to try this today! Oh the bread sounds wonderful too.

You know I love pecans any how any way and on and in anything! I like them in chicken salad and on my fish and in my pies, cookies, cakes, brownies, bread, in my oatmeal, cereal, salads, toasted, sweetened, buttered or spicy, and on my ice cream or like Lauren right out of the bag! Can't get enough.

Glad you were surprized and excited.

JodieMo said...

This looks delicious! I can almost smell it baking!

Maria said...

The apple bread looks wonderful. I wish I had a slice for breakfast!

Debbie said...

The apple bread looks great. I am saving this recipe for the next time I am loaded up on apples.

jesse said...

I've never heard of apple bread before, but this recipe came just in time... I have a big bag of apples crying out to be used. Yum! And that apple butter cream cheese... mmmm.

Marjie said...

Apple butter cream cheese sounds divine! And I love fruit quick breads. The pecans were a great surprise for you, too, lucky you!

Greg C said...

It's the same in our house. If I start cracking pecans I have to do twice as many as needed because my kids are eating them as fast as I can shell them. :)

Jennifer said...

That looks absolutely delishious!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, "Heaven done come down", that Apple Bread looks so good and though I often make Banana Bread, I've never made Apple Bread before. I am on my second jar of Apple Butter for the Fall, so I KNOW I would have a new favorite with the Apple Butter Cream Cheese...I'll try this and put it on my list of "Company Breakfasts"!

Thanks!!

Pam said...

What a delicious and thoughful gift...the best kind! The bread looks and sounds fantastic.

NKP said...

Apple butter cream cheese, where have you been all my life?
Sounds like the perfect companion for your wonderful cake.
Please give Gigi my address. ;)

Andrea said...

Apple butter cream cheese!! Sounds soooo good! I will definitely be making this recipe over the holidays!! :)

pam said...

The bread looks good, but the apple butter cream cheese sounds delightful!

Dewi said...

OMG, Apple bread sounds so good. I am pretty much fond of anything apples.
Cheers,
Elra

Reeni said...

Apple Bread and apple butter cream cheese!!?? I bet those guys descended upon that bread and didn't come up for air until it was all gone. That's what I would of done! YUM!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Yum! I'm nuts over this bread!

Darius T. Williams said...

This looks great - I bet a toasted piece of this bread with that cream cheese would be great!

vanillasugarblog said...

Oh my stars! Apple butter cream cheese did you say? That's like crack on toast I bet!
This looks soooooo darn good.