Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pickled Red Onions Great Topping for Potato Salad

It's the end of the summer and so many of you are putting up or caning your summer fruits and veggie or pickling.  I really would like to learn more about this but first I have to grow some fruits and veggies.

I found and easy pickling recipe for red onions and had to pass this along.  These can be used in a salad, whether it be lettuce, pasta or potato.


 
 
1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon mustard seeds Kosher salt
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced


 



Bring the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds and 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt to a boil in a small sauce pan.  Boil for about 1 minute to dissolve the sugar and salt.  Remove from the heat and transfer to a small bowl or Mason jar to cool.  Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then stir in the onions.  Cover or cap and refrigerate for at least one hour before using.  These will last in the refrigerator for about 3 days.

 
 
I served these on top of some warm mustard potato salad which was a huge hit with the our fellow tailgaters for the big UT/Florida game!

Tonight, they will be the star of a beautiful pasta salad!


Pin It

3 comments:

The JR said...

I like this one, especially since there is very little sugar in it.

Julie said...

I have no doubts I would adore these..probably on everything.

Lea Ann said...

I'm a huge fan of pickled onions. I'd say they're good on just about anything. And so pretty. :)