Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Favorite Biscuits

I'm not known for making pretty biscuits, but that has changed since I stumbled on to this recipe that I had written down on a piece of paper some time back.  I'm pretty sure it's from "Down Home with the Neely's".  I have now sworn off those canned biscuits!

Many of you don't like to bake with yeast, this biscuit recipe has you covered, no yeast.  Just three simple ingredients and you have some luscious biscuits for breakfast or as a side to soup for a light lunch or a hearty accompaniment to your fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

My Favorite Biscuits -

2 cups self rising flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1½ cups heavy whipping cream


Mix all 3 ingredients together until dough forms a ball. Using your stand mixer with the dough hook, makes this a snap.  Turn out onto floured surface and knead for about 1 minute. Roll dough out to ½ inch thickness and cut biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on a Siplat or greased baking sheet and bake at 450F for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.

Hint:  I don't buy self-rising flour but found this handy substitution!  For each cup of self-rising flour, use one cup of all-purpose flour and add 1-1/4 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon of salt.





They actually look like real biscuits and not blobs of dough.

 



They are just crying for butter!

 

This one was calling out to me.



How can you say no?



27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy biscuits! And thank you for the tip on substitution for self-rising flour!

Big Dude said...

A split biscuit with melting butter sure makes a pretty photo.

The JR said...

Golly, even I could make these!

Thank you!!!!

Bob said...

Oh man, those look awesome. I love biscuits!

Plain Chicken said...

I am making these! I love an easy biscuit recipe.

HEATHER said...

I can not make biscuits. I hate the feeling of dough on my hands, but I may give these a try. ;-)

Mike Golch said...

those would be good with some sausage gravy as well.

Ginger Jones said...

Oh my LORD!!!! These look so good it'd make ya wanna slap ya mama! Will have to give 'em a try and round up some apple butter to go with 'em.

Pat Tillett said...

I can't say no!
They look so good, I can smell them..

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Love biscuits and these do look pretty awesome. I'm with Mike too - give me some sausage gravy to go with!! :)

Joanne said...

I like quick and easy. Especially when it comes to biscuits...which are usually a spur of the moment NEED NOW kind of thing. Love these!

Candy said...

I made the Neely's herb cream biscuits the other day and they were awesome!

nanny said...

Now those are some beautiful biscuits....ha
I love the Neely's!!

Lyndas recipe box said...

These are wonderful cream biscuits-I don't buy self rising flour either, so I'm glad for the substitute. Must make these this week end!

Together We Save said...

Oh my... I am suffering from a bad case of the afternoon munchies and these look amazing!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how I love biscuits.... I'd rather have a biscuit anyday than a roll or other bread..... I've never heard of using heavy whipping cream though... My recipe uses buttermilk!!!!!

I may just have to try this recipe...

Thanks so much.
Hugs,
Betsy

Marjie said...

I make mine the same way, except that I don't roll them out. And sometimes I reduce the cream by 1/4 cup and add one egg. And I don't use self rising flour either; why have another container in the cupboard to confuse me?

Jennifer said...

I have only made biscuits twice and they were ehhhhh. I like this recipe and they are beautiful!

Julie said...

No, I'd never say no to one of those!

Marguerite said...

These bisquits are making my mouth water, cher! And I have all three of the ingredients, so you know what I'll be making for breakfast! Thanks!

John Roberts said...

The Lads love biscuits! We do too!

Debbie said...

They look great and they are all calling out to me!!! I love biscuits and so does my husband. This recipe is perfect for me since it has no yeast in it...you know I don't like working with it!

Carol Murdock said...

YOU GO GIRL! Ain't nothing better than hot buttered biscuits made by a southern cook!! :)

teresa said...

wow, i never thought you could make biscuits with such few ingredient, that's awesome! i'll probably make biscuits a lot more now!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Katherine, thanks for the tip on how to turn all purpose flour into self rising flour. I don't like to keep both kinds on my shelf.

Your biscuits look wonderful and easy to make. They would be good with Larry's country ham that he fixed the other day.
Sam

The Blonde Duck said...

I can't. Gimme.

Kathy said...

Wow, this non-bread-maker is gonna have to give these a try!!!!!!!