Thursday, July 31, 2008

E-Z Yeast Rolls

I've mentioned a few times that I can barely bake, I'm intimidated by baking and I don't bake very often because of my phobia. I'm trying to work through my fear of baking by baking. I'll keep you posted on what actually works as well as the disasters. I found this recipe for yeast rolls in an old cook book my Mother gave me. I believe she told me my Dad received it at a sales meeting he attended back in the late 50's or early 60's. It's pretty cool checking out the fare of that era. I tried these rolls and they are REALLY good and REALLY easy....so let's start baking.
E-Z Yeast Rolls -
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup hot water (I heated the water in the microwave for 1 minute)
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, mix the shortening, sugar, and hot water with a fork to break up the shortening and dissolve the sugar. Allow to cool until lukewarm, and mix in the yeast until dissolved. Mix in the beaten egg, salt, and flour. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until doubled in size (about 40-45 minutes).

Grease muffin pan and spoon in dough into prepared muffin cups (halfway in each cup), and allow to rise again until doubled in size.

Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
Ok, it was an eating fest...my teen loves bread and I actually did all of this for her.

3 comments:

Greg C said...

Wow that does sound easy and since I love yeast rools I am going to give it a try.

Thanks

Jenny said...

Now this is my kind of roll recipe! I'm not the best at bread making, I'll be the first to admit it. I bet I could handle these!

Prudy said...

I've got one sort of like this that I like to do in a muffin pan too.