Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Roasted Garlic and Smoked Canadian Bacon Frittata

As you know know if you've read my profile, I'm originally from New Orleans. I really like "Fleur de Lis" and couldn't resist buying this trivet. Can you believe I found this in an outlet store in the Smoky Mountains?


When the homegirlz asked what was for dinner last night, the oldest said she wasn't that hungry and asked if she could just fix a sandwich. The youngest one asked, "What's in it?". The word "frittata" scared them and they decided they didn't want any part of the weird dinner I was preparing. I've racked my brain and cannot figure out where they came from; they have no sense of adventure. This was served with a salad and my youngest added a side of Bugles (I really don't know why). By the way, this is not a cholesterol friendly meal, but making this once in a while shouldn't hurt that much.

Roasted Garlic and Smoked Ham Frittata
In a large mixing bowl add 2 cups of shredded Gruyere cheese.


Add 8 large eggs, 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, salt and cracked black pepper to taste.

Whisk the ingredients in the bowl until it gets foamy. This will build up your upper arm muscles!

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.

When the butter has melted and starts to bubble, add to the pan 1 small onion diced and 4 small red potatoes diced.

Season the onions and potatoes with salt and black pepper and cook thoroughly about 10-12 minutes.

Once the onions and potatoes are thoroughly cooked, squeeze one head of roasted garlic into the pan and cook for another 3 minutes.

Add the egg mixture to the pan. Using a spatula, gently pull in the sides of the egg mixture to let the uncooked eggs to run to the bottom of the pan to cook.

Cube up 1 cup of Canadian Bacon.

Once the frittata is halfway set, add the cubed Canadian Bacon to the pan. Transfer the pan to a pre-heated 400 degree oven and cook for 10 minutes. The frittata will fluff up on the top and become slightly golden brown.

Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Shower frittata with freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese, slice and garnish with green onion and a dollop of sour cream.

Come to mama!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having made a couple of frittatas even tho I didn't have a recipe, I am glad you posted this.

I didn't know how to do it, but had caught the tail end of Emeril making one on tv, and attempted to mimic what he did.

Sounds good...

I guess I was born and grew up in the wrong part of the country...

The south really knows how to cook and provide real comfort food.