Monday, March 19, 2012

Southwest Cheese Crackers and Blogger Party News!!!


A.J.  and I have been working the past several weekends and evenings getting my mother's condo cleared out.  she had stacks and stacks of recipes that she had either written down or have received from friends.  Talk about a task going through them to see what I wanted to try.  I found this recipe for Southwest Cheese Crackers and remember her making it years ago as a munchie before dinner.  I have no idea where she got this recipe, but it was meant to be found!  

Makes about 3 dozen

2 sticks of butter, softened
2 cups of grated white cheddar cheese
2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 can of Ro-Tel, drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Mix the cheese and butter together. Add the flour, salt, cayenne and tomatoes and stir until it becomes a ball.

For cookies, roll a teaspoon of dough into a little ball.  Use the back of a spoon to press it out into a little cracker.

To make the straws, Take about 2 teaspoons of dough and roll it between the palms of your hands to make little plump straws about 2 inches long. Poke a couple of holes with a fork on the top side of the straws.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 17 to 20 minutes.

Now about our 2012 Blogger Party.  I am so excited about this!  If you haven't attended our what has become an annual event, you need to make plans now to attend.  We have had so much fun the past two years, so Chris Grove, Larry Doolittle and I are pleased that we will be able to host a blogger party again this year.

Save the date... Sunday, May 27! This is Memorial Day weekend so now you have an extra day to travel, spend some time with your blogging buddies and enjoy beautiful East Tennessee!  No excuses, start making plans to your get eat on.


Bev and Larry are so gracious to once again hold our get together at their home near Greenback, TN and the menu will be a crawfish and shrimp boil – if you’re not a shellfish eater, come anyway bring what you like to eat and we’ll grill it for you.

Unlike previous times, we’ll be asking for a donation to help with the cost of the seafood.

We’ll send out more details in early April but wanted to get on your calendar now. We’ll be asking for an RSVP later, but so we can start our planning, please let Larry know now if you think you might join us – email grandpop1@yahoo.com.

Also please feel free to publicize this on your blog to reach more potential attendees, the more, the merrier.

We hope you can join us.


10 comments:

pam said...

I can't wait!!! I am soooo hoping to attend this year! School will be out!!

Lyndas recipe box said...

Ro-Tel in crackers has got to be fantastic! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

David said...

Katherine, Great looking SW cheese crackers and 'straws'! We're looking forward to the Blogger Party too! It should be a lot of fun... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave & Laurie

gigi said...

Awe... :( already have plans for that weekend. (my moms 75 birthday party)

Debbie said...

Oh Katherine, I wish I lived closer to you so I could attend. Would love to finally meet you! If there is any chance I can come I will let you know but I don't think so.

Aarthi said...

awesome crackers

The JR said...

I'm glad you found it.

Anne said...

Lovely blog! I'm a new follower; so nice to meet you!
Best,
Anne

Claudia said...

What a grand recipe - love "cheesy" crackers! Best of luck with the blog party. Wishing I lived in the south.

Chris said...

Rotel crackers, I am excited about these little guys!