Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Broiled Fillet of Flounder in Cajun Shrimp Butter

I found this recipe by my favorite chef, John Folse, tried it and had to share it with you.  When I put the first bite in my mouth, I felt like I was dining at one of the best restaurants in New Orleans, that's just how good this dish is.

Looking at how this recipe is layed out, it is really pretty simple and goes very fast.  Timing is the key with this keeper.  Get your shrimped peeled and the veggies chopped for the Cajun butter sauce first.  Chip up your butter and put it in a bowl and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready for it.  Once you put the flounder in the oven, get started on the Cajun butter.

The flounder, a nice green salad and a glass of wine and you've just treated yourself and that special someone to an unforgettable dining experience!

For the Flounder:

2 Flounder fillets
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup of water
1/2 stick of butter, melted
salt and cayenne pepper to taste
paprika for color
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

For the Cajun Shrimp Butter:

1/4 cup melted butter
1 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 lb. butter chipped
salt and cayenne pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.



 Use a baking pan large enough to accommodate the fillets.  Pour wine, water and butter over the fillets. Season the fillets to taste with salt, cayenne and sprinkle generously with paprika and parsley.  Bake for about 10 minutes, until fish is flaky to touch.  Heat broiler and place fish under broiler for about 1 to 1-/2 minutes, just to brown up the seasonings on top just a bit.  Be careful not to burn or overcook the fish. 




Remove from oven, tent with foil to keep warm.



In a heavy skillet, heat butter over medium high heat, add shrimp, green onions, mushrooms, tomato and garlic and saute for about 7 minutes, until vegetable are wilted.


De-glaze the skillet with the white wine and lemon juice and reduce by half.


Add heavy whipping cream and bring to a low boil and reduce until thickened.


Slowly add the chipped butter a few pieces at a time.  Swirl until complete melted before adding more chips of butter. 


Season to taste with salt and cayenne.



Place a generous serving of Cajun butter in the center of plate and top with broiled flounder.



I hear ya, even this early in the morning I'm still drooling!


8 comments:

The JR said...

That looks devine! I'm sure we'd luv it.

Becca's Dirt said...

My goodness Katherine you have picked another winner here. I am printing this and making it perhaps this weekend. I' loving the sauce. I've been waiting on this recipe.

David said...

Katherine... Luscious looking entree! Nice combination of flavors with the spices and the sauce with the shrimp. Yum! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Debbie said...

What a great recipe. The only thing I can think of when I see the picture is out of this world good!!!!

Big Dude said...

looks deliciuous Katherine and I think is should work with some of the white fish we brought back from Maine.

Lynn said...

Hey Katherine --

Your broiled flounder with shrimp butter is making me crazy hungry!

I wanted to make sure that you knew about the food blogger event that is running concurrently with the Asheville Food and Wine Festival next weekend. Info and tickets for the food blogger events are at: http://www.sefoodlovers.com/register.html

Tickets for the food and wine festival are at: http://www.wncmagazine.com/wineandfood/about

Please pass the info along to your fellow NC blogging buddies.
Wouldn't it be great to have a food blogger community here in NC? Hope to see you there!

Lynn

Unknown said...

Is 1/2 POUND of butter correct for 2 servings? I'm making this for 4 people and concerned it'll be 1 POUND of butter just for the sauce.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

B E Munson, you had me second guessing myself lol! 1/2 lb. of chipped butter is a lot for two servings. I checked the recipe from John Folse and it called for 3/4 lb. of chipped butter, so I scaled it down a bit. I'm thinking you could go with one stick and still be good.

If you try the recipe, please let me know how you liked it!