Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chicken Schnitzel with Mustard Sauce



My husband and children have German descents and I haven't cooked or done a thing to acquaint them  with their German heritage.  Not that they ask or care; but it came to me after I saw this recipe on Food Network

Chicken Schnitzel has everything I was looking for besides getting A.J. and the homegirlz feeling a little German. For me, the ease of preparation, the flavor AND the mustard sauce! There's a rumor spreading like wildfire in my house that I was spotted eating just the mustard sauce; but that's all it is, a rumor.

The important factors for my husband and children are it's fried and it's chicken.  Fried Lebensmittel-Regeln!  In English, Fried food rules!  Gotta love the Google translator.


For the mustard sauce:

1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup whole-grain mustard (I used Zatarain's Creole Mustard)

Whisk the yogurt and mustard in a bowl until smooth.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.


For the Schnitzel:

5 slices wheat or white bread, toasted  and then cut into cubes
3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
2 large eggs
4 chicken cutlets or chicken tenderloins (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
Canola or vegetable oil, for frying


Pulse the bread in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow dish and add the marjoram, and salt and pepper to taste. In another shallow dish, season the flour with the paprika and nutmeg. Beat the eggs in a third dish. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.

Dredge each cutlet in the flour, shaking off the excess. Dip in the egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs, pressing to coat both sides.

Heat 1/8 inch of canola or vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 2 to 3  cutlets and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining chicken, adjusting the heat as needed. Serve the schnitzel with the mustard sauce.

Don't skimp on the mustard sauce...you heard it here first!

12 comments:

pam said...

I am all about a good mustard sauce!

The Blonde Duck said...

I foresee chicken snitzel and German potato salad in my future!

The JR said...

I didn't know what a schnitzel was....

Now, I know it looks good.

Jennifer said...

That looks gorgeous and I love the sauce is made with yogurt!

Marjie said...

I love a good mustard sauce. Does my Danish and German heritage show that much?

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

We both have German roots too. What would we do without Greek yogurt. Love the mustard sauce - so healthy. Maybe it could minus out the fried food. LOL
Sam

The Blonde Duck said...

Did you have strudel with your snitzel?

That's Ron said...

nice ....looks great! slurps

justjoycee said...

They look great and really delicious!!! Have a good evening!!!

Claudia said...

I studied in Austria once upon a time and fell in love with schnitzel. They did it with veal and I do it with chicken. I love using the yogurt in the sauce! It's fun exploring a new cuisine and developing new tastes.

Anonymous said...

Mmm yummy. Fried foods are the best and there is just no way around it.

Chris said...

President Kennedy once said, "'Ich bin ein Berliner!"

Does that mean, "Give me some chicken schnitzel"? Because I want some!