Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Shrimp Etouffe

The French word "etouffee" means to stew, smother or braise. This technique is found in dishes using shrimp, crab, crawfish and, in some cases, meat or game. Though more Creole in origin, etouffees are found throughout Cajun country. ~John Folse~
Any time I say, "I think I'm in the mood for etouffee.", people that usually can't hear me yell, "Feed the dog!", come running from who knows where to ask with big blinking eyes if I need any help, can they get me a cold beverage or would I be interested in a neck massage.
Yes, the word, "etouffee", is magical, it's mysterious, but what really counts, it rocks your taste buds baby and that's with a capital R!
Some of you are scared of crawfish or turn your nose up at them. If you live in my part of the country, they just ain't that easy or economical to get. So when your husband drives in from New Orleans and has forgotten to get crawfish, you can always use shrimp.
This recipe is adapted from Chef John Folse's History of Creole Cooking

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds peeled and de-veined shrimp (set shrimp shells aside)
1/4 pound butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup tomatoes, diced
2 tbsps garlic, diced
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup flour
2 quarts shrimp stock or water (recipe below)
1 ounce sherry
1 cup green onions, chopped
½ cup parsley, chopped
salt and cayenne pepper to taste
Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 cups white rice, steamed
DIRECTIONS:

In a 2-gallon stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic and bay leaves. Sauté until vegetables are wilted, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and blend well into mixture. Using a wire whip, blend flour into the vegetable mixture to form a white roux. Slowly add shrimp stock and water, a little at a time, until sauce consistency is achieved. I strongly recommend using half stick and half water. Using all stock makes the sauce to thick and pasty and it will stick tot he bottom of your pot and burn. Continue adding more stock/water as necessary to retain consistency. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp, cook another 15 minutes and continue stirring occasionally. Add sherry, green onions and parsley and cook an additional 5 minutes. Season to taste using salt and cayenne pepper. Serve over steamed white rice using a few dashes of Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce.

SHRIMP STOCK:
In a large stock pot add 1 gallon of water, season water with 4 tablespoons of Zatarain's powdered crab boil or 4 tablespoons of Zatarain's Creole Seasoning. If you don't have either of these, mix together in a bowl, 1 tablespoon Lawry's Seasons Salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1/2 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons cayenne, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons onion powder.
Slice one lemon in half, squeeze the juice into the water and throw the squeezed lemons halves into the water. Slice a head of garlic in half (at the equator) and add to water un peeled and unseparated, and 2 bay leafs.
Bring water to a boil and add the shrimp shells (and shrimp heads too if you have them). Return water to a boil. Lower heat to medium-high and let it bubble for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let the pot sit for 30 minutes. Strain and you'll have a real good seafood stock.
Place the leftover stock in ice trays, freeze, place cubes in a re-sealable plastic bag and you'll have seafood stock in small portions when ever you need it.

Laissez les bons temps rouler ya'll!

38 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

This sounds like it is absolutely full of flavor! Your pic has my mouth watering and who can resist shrimp anyway? lol. Looks fantastic, Katherine.

Marguerite said...

Woweee, Katherine! This is a fancy etouffee with the sherry and white roux. Nice touches! I would love a big plate of this right now!!!
Looks sinful, cher!

NKP said...

Sounds wonderful! I have never had real New Orleans cooking before.

vanillasugarblog said...

oh my gosh woman! this is just killer-good!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I'm off to New Orleans for 5 days in just 3 and 1/2 weeks!

Thanks for wetting my appetite

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love shrimps. This is a fantastic étouffé.

April said...

I have never eaten etouffe! I can't believe it. This looks delicious!!!

Lucy..♥ said...

Ooooh Katherine, this is a must!! I'm loving this totally. Awesome!!

Chris said...

I used to catch crawdads in the creek by my house as a kid and loved playing around with them but the thought of eating one still gets to me:)

So if you ever slip one by me, don't tell me until after I've swallowed it okay;)

Selba said...

Reading the ingredients, definitely can tell how yummy this shrimp dish :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

One of my favorite Nawlins dishes.... I never made it --but I've ordered it at Cajun-type restaurants in Louisiana and Texas. Love it. Thanks for the recipe.
Hugs,
Betsy

Lyndas recipe box said...

I admit that I've never had crayfish; but this shrimp version looks delish...my mouth is watering!

Joanne said...

I've never had etouffee but it is definitely up there on my list of foods to try. I love Creole cooking for all of its spiciness and intense, bold flavor. I have never even seen crawfish in a store, so I would have to go with the shrimp I suppose.

buffalodick said...

Katherine- Would you believe I found one of his cook books(signed by him, no less!) in perfect condition at a used book store- for $4.00! He is more Creole style, than Cajun, and never reached the fame of K-Paul, or Emiril. I found Louisiana Gold hot sauce though that book- less vinegary than Tabasco.. Love Etouffe! I even like just saying it!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Love John Folse and FORGOT the crayfish!!!! My oldest son was so excited when he found them in our new Publix!

Marjie said...

So why aren't you calling for etouffe more often? Do you not like people bringing you cold beverages? This looks wonderful. Laissez les bon temps roulez, indeed!

Lea Ann said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe. The First etouffe I ever had was at a small joint in Winnney Texas, Al T's. It was so very yummy. It was a crawfish etouffe. Can't wait to try this.
Lea Ann

Reeni said...

I always wondered what Etouffe was! Now I know it's absolutely delicious!! I love shrimp and will be trying this - perfect for fall!

Chef E said...

I too grew up catching crawdaddy's with bacon in the creek like Chris, and my mom being from LA, made this often... I have been wanting some lately, so I am going to have to make this one...

The JR said...

Very yummy looking. Might have to whip up a batch. Want some shrimp now.

Ramona

Heather S-G said...

I do not blame them one bit...I'd come runnin' all the way from Indiana for some of that goodness. Course I'd never make it, but ah...the thought of it ;) YUM!

Unseen India Tours said...

Thanks for the recipe !! Great post..I liked your last post also as i love French Fries.

Debbie said...

Oh Katherine it just looks so mouth watering delicious! I'll have to try this sometime. Never made this dish before. Love the sherry in the dish! I made the Lime Cococnut Banana cake recently and it was great!

Greg C said...

As good as that looks and sounds I am a fried shrimp kind of person. I can eat them till I pop.

The Blonde Duck said...

LOL! I love the little remark about the forgotten crawfish!

teresa said...

i want this in my belly! it looks amazing!

Claudia said...

I'm going to go around muttering "etouffee" all day. Probably pronoucning it incorrectly. As a huge shrimp fan, I'd take this any day. Thanks for the nudge!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Under the heading of no good dead goes unpunished, have you read my latest post... any interest???

http://yearonthegrill.blogspot.com/2009/09/plea-for-help-new-orleans-will-fuzz-my.html

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.... That etouffe sounds heavenly! I'll eat a shrimp or a crawfish one, yum!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I'm with you - let the good times roll. Sounds fabulous. I miss Louisiana crawfish but I'm sure we'll never see it in the mountains. How sad.
Sam

Sophia said...

I once had omelete etouffe. Omelet topped with this shrimp etouffe sauce. Holy amazing! Now I can make it for myself! THANK YOU!!!

Pam said...

I've never had etouffe before but boy does it sound GOOD! It's looks mighty tasty too.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely recipe and New Orleans style to boot. I really like this Katherine.

Jackie at PhamFatale.com said...

I can't resist. Your shrimp looks amazing yummy, full of flavor. I can imagine the heat of this dish. Yum!

Juliana said...

Yummie, I already can tell you that I will definitely try this dish...moreover, that I'll love it! Your shrimp etouffe brings me memories of my trips to New Orleans :-)

Jennifer said...

Wow, how did I possibly miss this, beautiful and way tooo complex for me!

Katy ~ said...

Ooooh, Katherine, this sounds so elegant!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Mmmmmmm. I'm feeling the New Orleans vibe! I want a beignet too!