Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lime Banana Coconut Cake

Reeni from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice posted this cake a couple of weeks ago and I just had to make it. It spoke to me, it really spoke to me. After my first bite, this cake and I were kindred spirits. Ok, the cake just really rocks!

Here's the stuff you will need:

1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3)
1 tablespoon grated lime zest (about 3 limes, save them after zesting for the glaze)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift first, then measure)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Lime Glaze (to follow)




Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan.








In a dry saute pan toast the coconut flakes over medium-low heat until golden brown, turning often. Set aside.






In a medium mixing bowl beat the sour cream, banana puree, lime zest and vanilla together about two minutes with an electric mixer on low.








In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, 3/4 of the toasted coconut and salt.











Add the butter and 1/3 of the banana puree. Beat for a minute on medium speed. Add another third of the banana puree and beat until well incorporated.







Repeat with the last third of the banana puree.








Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.









Let cool for 10 minutes and remove the sides. While still warm brush with glaze.



Lime Glaze

Juice of one - two limes
Confectioners' sugar





Make a very thin glaze start with the juice of one lime and gradually add the sugar a little bit at a time. Whisk well. If it gets too thick add more lime juice, it should be very thin. Almost a watery consistency.




Poke holes in the cake with a chop stick or butter knife about an inch apart over the entire cake while still warm. Brush the glaze over the cake and especially into the holes. Repeat.



Once the cake has finished cooling, use the remaining glaze to make a thicker icing. If there isn't any left start again. I didn't, I flat out couldn't wait. Wait until you make this and the cake vapors all over your house, in every single room, you'll see!


But any way as Reeni was saying, with the juice of one lime, add confectioners' sugar a little bit at a time and whisk well. This should be thicker than the first glaze but not as thick as a standard frosting. Taste - it should have a very strong, pronounced lime flavor. Add more lime if needed. Once the cake is cooled glaze and sprinkle with the rest of the toasted coconut.



47 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

Dad Gum It Katherine! You always make me hungry! How will I ever lose weight coming here? We are having a Fish Fry on the 20th and I'm making this for sure!! :)

Debbie said...

Oh you know that banana cakes are my weakness (along with chocolate)! I just made one of Reeni's cakes too and posted it! Yours looks so good Katherine. I know I will be making it soon....just need so get some limes!

Dewi said...

Sounds delicious with the addition of lime.

Becca's Dirt said...

OOOHHH That sounds sooo good. I love all the flavors in thi cake. I have to make this cake.

April said...

OH yum!!! This looks so good!!

SusanD said...

I will be so glad when we get moved in to our new house and all my cooking/baking tools are out of storage. I'm thinkin the people I work with will be putting on a lot of weight. hahaha Blessings, SusanD

Debbie said...

Just the title of the recipe had me drooling!

Lynn said...

Oh this sounds so good! Lime, coconut, banana -- yum. I love anything with a glaze. In fact, maybe I should just make the glaze and eat that ;)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

I'm not a cake fan, but that flavor combo sounds too good to pass up! Now what to make with it?

The Diva on a Diet said...

~Swoon!~ Such a great combination of flavors. I swear I can almost tastes it. No wonder you couldn't wait!

The JR said...

It's speaking to me now. But, have to go home and meet the horseshoer. Otherwise, would be tempted to stop at the grocery store.
Ramona

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yum-Yum-Yum.... You have the most amazing recipes I've EVER seen. I never would have thought about putting lime, banana and coconut together. It sounds terrific...

I still think you need to move to Crossville and cook for me... I'll promise that I'd eat the WHOLE thing... ha

Have a great holiday weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

vanillasugarblog said...

you know I'm in if there's coconut here.

Cathy said...

wow....wow....wow....this looks so bloody good!

Katy said...

I'm trying to reduce my sweet intake. I'm going to throw good intention to the wind (where it belongs apparently, LOL) This looks fabulous!

Reeni said...

Aww! Your so sweet! Thanks for making my cake! Reading this - I'm craving it. *HUGS*

Coleens Recipes said...

What a GREAT flavor combo!!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I know that I would enjoy that cake so much. Looks delicious. I can't resist banana cakes.

NKP said...

What a great combination of flavours! I love that it doesn't seem overly sweet, too.

Jane In The Jungle said...

Any dessert with lime, and I am hooked!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love the combination of flavors you are using here. This is seriously good :-). I love the addition of lime.

The Blonde Duck said...

Droolworthy!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Yum and it's breakfast time here.
Sam

Greg C said...

Anything with coconuts and banana in it is ok in my book. Bake on Katherine.

Marjie said...

Mmmmm - banana cake with a twist! Looks wonderful *drool*

teresa said...

oh my goodness, it's speaking to me too! how delicious!

Julie said...

I saw that cake on her site and thought it looked good too. Glad to know yours came out yummy!

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

What a great combination of flavors! This is a keeper for sure. Looks fantastic!

gigi said...

It spoke to you? It was yelling at me, I'll be trying this out next week, thank you very much!
Have a awesome holiday weekend!!!

Jennifer said...

I love lime, and my husband loves bananna, great combo, gotta try it!

theUngourmet said...

I just love lime and coconut together! This cake is terrific!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Oh lawz, this looks delish!

Lea Ann said...

oh..my..gosh This looks fabulous!!! Love that glaze.

Lea Ann

Anonymous said...

That cake does sound amazing, I'm next in line to make it!

Selba said...

With coconut flakes? That's sounds so yummy :)

buffalodick said...

I like it! Closest I got to making something like that was a Key lime pound cake... My favorite(so far!)is Key lime cheesecack...

Joanne said...

I definitely bookmarked this cake when I saw it because it combines all of my favorite flavors! Thanks for reminding me that it exists. Your version looks awesome.

Claudia said...

Oh man this looks good and I just ate five courses. The lime really interests me and now seeing it twice - well, I'm going to have to try it. If I gain any more weight, you'll be bearing from me.

La Bella Cooks said...

You would have to hide this cake if I came around...it looks so delicious! Who can resist a cake with coconut in it anyway?

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope ya'll had a great weekend!

Pam said...

Can I have a slice or two? Please?

Juliana said...

Oh! This cake sounds and looks so delicious...lime, banana and coconut, what a festival of flavors :-)

Unknown said...

Okay sis-in-law, you know my affinity for cakes! I'll have to give this one a try!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Yum, I remember seeing this on Reeni's but for some reason it didn't stick with me then yet here I ma wondering if I have everything to make this.
~ingrid

Marguerite said...

Oh, you deserve an award for this one, cher! I'd be afraid to make this cake because I know I would want to eat it all! Divine!!!

lisaiscooking said...

That cake spoke to me too, and it's speaking again now! I need to make it.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh. That looks so delicious! I'm betting the lime really wakes it up!