Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cajun Chicken and Rice


Thank all of you that have emailed and commented asking about my new job. I'm loving it! The hours are a little longer, but it is certainly challenging. Also, the homegirlz are back in full swing with high school soccer. These are the reasons why I have been light on posting lately. I appreciate all of you kind thoughts. hugs to all of you!
Anytime rice is included in a meal at my house, it's a winner. I've told you all before that my family happens to be serious rice addicts. Me, I'm more of a pasta girl. But you know how it goes, you have to cater to the crowd. I am so glad I did! After making this, I realized that there are so many ways to change this up depending on what kind of flavor you are trying to achieve. You could totally vary this for a southwest or Asian flair. In reality you could change it up a bit and make it once a week and my family would be none the wiser.
Cajun Chicken and Rice -

2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
1 medium onion - diced
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 cups extra long grain white rice, cooked according to package directions
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
Emeril's Essence
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare an 8 x8 or 9 x9 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Cut chicken into hearty bite-sized pieces. Season generously with Emeril's Essence and brown in heated butter and oil. Remove brown chicken from skillet and add onions and saute over medium heat until translucent. Remove from heat and transfer to prepared casserole dish.

Add browned chicken and remaining ingredients except cheddar cheese and Essence to casserole dish and mix together until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with Emeril's Essence. Sprinkler cheddar cheese over the top and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.


One quick note - it will be gone by the next afternoon...they will want to re-heat for lunch the next day!

Edit Note:

A few people wanted the recipe for Emeril's Essence. So here it is. Once you try it, it will become a staple on your spice rack! I usually double the recipe and keep it in a Mason jar.




Emeril's Essence

* 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
* 2 tablespoons salt
* 2 tablespoons garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
* 1 tablespoon dried oregano
* 1 tablespoon dried thyme


Combine all ingredients thoroughly.


34 comments:

Cathy said...

Creamy and cheesy - right up my alley :) Glad the new job is going well :)

lagirl/sweet tea said...

Ohhh, that looks & "smells" so good! I'm a pasta girl, like you, but my crowd loves rice the most. I'll have to give this a try.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

This looks great and easy to prepare. Glad your new job is going well.
Sam

pigpigscorner said...

Love rice and cheese, a great one-pot meal!

Anonymous said...

Excellent dish, my family would really love it, especially the yummy cheesy topping! Glad to hear that you like your new job!

Creative Classroom Core said...

This looks like a really tasty and comforting family dish :)

Coleens Recipes said...

Good news on the job!! I have never used Emeril's Essence before. What does it taste like and what is the heat value?

Marguerite said...

This one looks absolutely divine, Katherine. Your chicken recipes are the best! Don't know if you got to watch the Mardi Gras at Fred's in Mamou, video, on that post? I dedicated it to you! Such fun!

Gladys said...

That looks so yummy. I wonder if I could leave out the rice and it still be just as good. No rice for me, it's a starch.

JodieMo said...

Oh I'm a sucker for a good casserole. This one looks delicious!

Lyndas recipe box said...

This is a wonderful meal...my family would love this as we are rice lovers too. And pasta lovers as well.
Glad your job is going well, but you have been missed!

Justin said...

i'm usually not a big fan of canned soup, but this looks pretty tasty

Selba said...

I wish I could make it but I don't think I can find the emeril's essence.

Jennifer said...

I have missed you, glad to see you in these parts. I love rice and casseroles and I cannot wait to make this. Might have to put it on the list for next week!

gigi said...

Oh yum. I'm going to a pot luck eatin meetin tomorrow night I think I will take this! Thanks and it's good to see and hear your recipe today.
Smiles!

SusanD said...

Great to hear your job is going well. The recipe sounds scrumptious as usual. Blessings, SusanD

Jane In The Jungle said...

Oh Katherine, LOVE it!!

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

yay! I've been behind on my blog reading and missed that you got a new job - congrats!!! I'm so happy for you!

this dish looks super good too. I love cajun flavors and this looks wonderfully creamy.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of rice either, more of a pasta girl...but with all that flavors in there and the cheese? When can I come over for dinner?

And yay!! I'm glad you're liking your new job!

Donna-FFW said...

Love this casserole.. the cheesy gooeyness is screaming to me. I enjoy Emerils seasoning also. I usually buy it premade from the store. I like his Bayou Blast flavor also.

Dewi said...

I never made anything like this. This Cajun Rice sounds really interesting.

Joanne said...

You are quite deceptive, feeding them the same dish with a few changes here and there...I like it! That would make cooking for my family so much easier! This looks quite delicious...can't go wrong with a cheesy casserole.

buffalodick said...

With cheese and rice, it can't miss!

Debbie said...

I will put that Emeril's to good use. Youngest son uses it on everything.

NKP said...

Yum, so creamy and good!

Carol Murdock said...

Katherine, I was trying to think of a chicken breast dish to do for supper tonight. I say to myself;
SELF, go to Katherine's blog she's always doing something wonderful with chicken!I came here and PRESTO! Tonights supper and I have all the ingrediants!! Thanks sweetie for being such a fab cook and sharing it!! xoxo

Hornsfan said...

Tasty looking rice dish - would be so good in the fall (when it's finally cooler here)! Congrats on the new job :)

Debbie said...

Katherine, I am so glad you are enjoying your new job! Your cajun chicken and rice looks great. My youngest son could eat rice every day!

La Bella Cooks said...

Absolute comfort food right there! That dish would not last long at my table! Yum.

Katy ~ said...

I'm really the only rice lover in this house, but with all these wonderful flavors, I'm thinking that Ole Sweetie-Pi would enjoy this as well. I'm going to find out!

Jackie at Phamfatale.com said...

What a great casserole dish. Everything sounds incredible. And the recipe seems fairly easy to make. Thanks for sharing

Heather S-G said...

Looks delicious!!! Glad to hear all is going so well :D

Reeni said...

I love this, Katherine, it's such a hearty comfort meal. And so delicious with Emeril's essence - I can't get enough of that stuff!

pam said...

Glad to see you are not too busy to post. I, personally, am a even-steven, rice and pasta girl. Love them both!