Monday, October 6, 2008

Garlic Knots


Friday afternoon my husband and I went to one of the markets in town where we can find items that aren't carried in the regular grocery store near our home. They do have one of the prettiest produce sections I have seen locally. A.J. told me he could get in serious trouble in this store. I was browsing the bakery section and saw a bag of Garlic Knots and started to put them in the basket. At $5.50 for a bag of twelve, I had second thoughts, I thought of Prudy's avatar with the pointing finger, I panicked and put them back. I knew I could make these for a lot less money after all, I don't really think anyone is going to bail me out for overspending at my market.

This is also a "two-fer" recipe. I am passing along a wonderful pizza dough recipe that I've had since I was in my 20's...when pizza making was the gourmet rage and then turning this into the most fantastic garlic knots.


Pizza Dough -


1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Yellow cornmeal, for sprinkling the baking sheet


In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, honey, and 1 tablespoon oil, stirring to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until the dough is smooth but still slightly sticky. You may not need all of the flour.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes.

Oil a large mixing bowl with remaining olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 1-1/4 hours.

Alternately this makes dough for 1 (15-inch) pizza


Now for those yummy Garlic Knots!

While the pizza dough is rising and has about 30 minutes left, combine 1 stick of butter and 3 cloves of minced garlic in a small saucepan over low heat. Let them hang out together for about 20 minutes over low heat. Cover, turn off burner to keep warm.

Lightly grease 2 baking sheets and lightly sprinkle with corn meal. Set aside.

Grate 1/4 cup Percorino Romano cheese and chop 2 tablespoons of fresh flat leaf parsley and set aside.

Remove risen dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough out into a large rectangle, about 16 by 12 inches. Brush the dough lightly with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Cut the dough in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into strips about 1 1/4 inches wide. Tie each strip loosely into a knot, stretching gently if necessary, and place on baking sheets about 1-inch apart. Sprinkle the tops of the knots with coarse sea salt. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.

Bake until golden brown and risen, about 20 minutes in a pre-heated 375 degree oven.

Transfer baked knots to a large mixing bowl. Pour garlic butter, cheese and parsley over hot knots and gently toss to evenly coat each knot. Serve immediately.

12 comments:

Greg C said...

I am not much into Garlic Knots but sign me up for those enchiladas.

Marjie said...

The garlic knots sound good, but I especially love your instruction to let the butter and garlic "hang out together". Sounds like your kids dictated that one!

Emily Rose said...

These look wonderful! I am from New Orleans too- I moved to Sewanee,TN to attend college and wound up living there for a full five years. We are now back in New Orleans- but TN will always have a special place in my heart!

The Blonde Duck said...

ovThis is awesome! I can make pizza and garlic knots! Woot!

I know what you mean about Prudy's avatar. It has kept me from buying things I didn't need dozens of times...

gigi said...

Sounds good with a double purpose!

Maria said...

I have never made garlic knots. They sound like fun!

Debbie said...

Your garlic knots look wonderful. I could go for these with some tomato sauce.....

Reeni said...

I love garlic knots. I have never made my own, and didn't know you could make them from pizza dough. I am going to try this real soon, they look so yummy!

La Bella Cooks said...

That is too funny as Prudy's money saving comments pop into my head from time to time while buying groceries! I love it. The garlic knots sound wonderful and I know they wouldn't last long with my hubby around.

Pam said...

I am looking forward to trying these garlic knots - they look absolutely delicious.

Prudy said...

That's hilarious! I almost spit out my drink of water when I read the pointing finger avatar warning. These must have been amazing out of the oven. That's it-I'm making them....maybe even tonight.

Sharon said...

This is definitely up my alley. I like all things garlic!