Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Savory Chicken Stir Fry with Glass Noodles

We spent the weekend at the soccer field watching our tween play her season opener jamboree. I didn't cook all weekend and when I got home from work yesterday afternoon, the homegirlz gave me a MapQuest to the kitchen and I had to re-learn how to use that vittle fixin' thing with the knobs and the big black glass screen on the front.


This chicken dish is a work-in-progress and the first time I've cooked glass noodles. The real challenge with the glass noodles is there are no directions on the package on how to cook the darn things. If any of you know, I would welcome your advice! Also, once I played with the sauce and the veggies, I always think of things I could have added....like shitake mushrooms, broccoli, water chestnuts...all things the homegirlz would turn their noses up at. I"ll add them anyway next time.



Savory Chicken Stir-Fry with Glass Noodles -






Cut 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.





In a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1-1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (Tamari), and 1-1/2 tablespoons corn starch. Whisk all ingredients together and add cut up chicken. Coat the cubed chicken with the sauce and set aside for about 20 minutes.



In another bowl combine 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup chicken stock, 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (or 1 teaspoon of garlic juice from a jar of minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne), 2 teaspoons sugar. Whisk together and set aside.






Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat, add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Once oil is heated, add 1 teaspoon powdered ginger or 2 teaspoons grated ginger, 2 teaspoons minced garlic 2 scallions finely chopped. Cook for about 30 seconds and then add 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper and 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced.





Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved sauce to the pan and make sure you coat everything in the pan with the sauce. Stir in 1 teaspoon sesame oil.





Ok, now for the glass noodles or bean threads - side note you can serve your chicken over lo-mein or rice.





Pour about 16 ounces of chicken stock into a large pot and bring to a low boil.





Place noodles in the warm chicken stock, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 7 minutes. The noodles absorb the chicken stock, so I added about 1/2 cup more chicken stock and turned the noodle nests over and cooked for another three minutes.






Talk about delicious! The homegirlz cleaned their plates! I couldn't keep the tween out of the pot.

11 comments:

Michele said...

I love glass noodles! Your stir fry looks super easy and very tasty. I normally soak my glass noodles in hot water for about 10 minutes before cooking them. Then I throw them in boiling water for two minutes. Very quick and easy. If you ever use them for a soup, just skip cooking them in boiling water and throw them directly in the soup after soaking them. Hope that helped. :-)

Lori said...

Wow, that looks delicious! I've had glass noodles in a restaurant before but I don't think I've ever seen them in a store. I must give this stir fry a try!

Reeni said...

It does look terrific, I wouldn't been able to keep out of the pot either!

Pam said...

Looks wonderful. I love glass noodles and your stir fry looks and sounds fantastic.

Marjie said...

I know nothing about glass noodles, but your finished dish is colorful and tasty looking. Isn't it the best compliment when the kids go back for more?

gigi said...

I'm lost on the glass noodles too! But this looks just wonderful!

Prudy said...

I love glass noodles too. I'd definitely order this at a restaurant so I'm excited to be able to give it a go at home.

Greg C said...

You make that sound so easy. Mine just doesn't come out looking like that. Oh no, I may have left the grill on last night. There goes my tank of propane. Oh nooooooooo.

Jenny said...

Ooo, I am intrigued by the glass noodles. I am so not cultured. This dish sounds great Katherine!

Megan said...

I've never had glass noodles either but next time I see them, I'll pick some up and give this a try. If you cant keep the tween out of the pot, I know it's gotta be good!

Paula said...

This looks sooo good. I really like glass noodles, and this recipe is something I would most certainly enjoy!