Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Maple Yogurt Pound Cake

You think you know your family and you think you know what the won't touch with a ten foot pole, you know what they will tolerate, what they like and what they will devour like it's their last supper.  You "think"...

Well, I found this recipe at Candy Girl's blog and she described the flavor of this pound cake as tasting just like nice warm syrupy pancakes.  Well, c'mon, I had to make this!  I mean, how bad can a pound cake be that's made with non-fat yogurt.  You're thinking the same thing in your head right now, aren't you?

Right after I took the pictures, I told everyone to come and try a piece and see what they thought. At first they were saying, "Yay, I like pound cake!" then it went to, "Oh my gosh mom, are you serious?  I mean seriously, mom, you are a beast with pound cake!".  Translation, this Maple Yogurt Pound Cake is a huge sensation!

Now I can't wait to try it with my Louisiana cane syrup in lieu of maple syrup.  I made a couple of little changes due to the ingredients i had on hand.

1/2 cup maple syrup

3/4 cup Greek non-fat yogurt
3 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in the center of the oven.

Generously grease a 9x5x3 bread loaf pan with shortening.  Shortening handles the heat better than butter and will not give you that faint burnt crust taste.
Whisk together the maple syrup, yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl.   In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just to incorporate. Add the oil a little at a time and fold it in as you go, until oil is absorbed into the batter.

Be careful no to over mix the batter.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Set the loaf ppan on a baking sheet in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.

Remove the loaf pan from the oven and allow to cool on a rack for about 5 minutes.

Slide a butter knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the pound cake.  Turn out onto the rack, then turn cake right side up to completely cool.


Pancakes, it's what's for dessert!

Umm, just saying...send poor A.J. a hug.  Today is our 20th Anniversary, yep he's had to put up with me for a very long time.  Love you honey!





Pin It





8 comments:

David said...

Katherine... Great looking pound cake. Moist is best! Would have never thought about using yogurt. I've never had Louisiana cane syrup...I'll have to look for it. My best to A.J. on this landmark day in his life...uh, yours too!
Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

pam said...

I love, love, love warm mapley pancakes, so this sounds fantastic!

The JR said...

Oh wow, I could eat about half of it!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, That truly sounds awesome. We all love pancakes. Right???? SO --why not have a pancake dessert.... Thanks for the recipe.

You all would love the waterfalls on Wears Valley Road. If you enter from Pigeon Forge, the Waterfall Cafe and Gardens is on the left. One waterfall is right behind the cafe.. You'll have to walk down the rock road beside the cafe in order to see the cabins there and the other cascades and waterfalls. Gorgeous area.
Hugs,
Betsy

Hornsfan said...

Maple pancakes, mmmmmm

Debbie said...

Oh wow....I am a lover of pound cakes and will have to try this. Have never seen a recipe for one with maple syrup and I know it will be great!

The Blonde Duck said...

LOVe pound cake.

Chris said...

Happy anniversary you two! It was ours on Friday.

This pound cake sounds excellent and I know it would rock sliced and grilled lighly.