Monday, January 9, 2012

Crawfish Pot Pie


Were you ever fed frozen pot pies?  I was, when I was a kid and I still get queasy at the thought them.  Once I peeled off the crust and stared down into the little foil pan, I couldn't decide if I going to hurl or if I already had.  So much for fond memories.  

So on my continuing quest to try and kick up the cuisine from back in the day, I wanted to cross this fear off my list and figured adding a little Cajun twist would make this pot pie a winner.

Chicken just wasn't doing it for me and I and thought crawfish would be sensational.  Sensational doesn't even begin to describe how good these were.  If you can't get crawfish tails, I think peeled shrimp would work just fine too.

To get this started, thaw out once sheet of puff pastry.  Once thawed, cut into 4 circles approximately 1/2 inch larger than the top of your oven-proof crock.  



Blanch 1/2 cup peeled and cubed carrots.  (Once water comes to a boil, add a liberal amount of kosher salt, boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from boiling water and place in an ice bath for 1 minute.  Remove to a bowl and set aside.)



Blanch 2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes. 




In a large high-sided pot, heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter.



Add 8 ounces of baby bella mushrooms (oyster mushrooms will work too).  Saute for about 5 to 7 minutes, until they just begin to turn golden brown on the edges.



Add 6 ounces of cubed ham (or tasso if you have it), and render for about 2 minutes.



Add 1/2 cup minced shallots and 1 cup of minced celery and saute for about 2 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.


Add 1/4 cup of brandy and cook for 1 minute and allow most of the brandy to evaporate.  We're building some serious flavor!



Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of flour, thoroughly mix with the ham and veggies.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly so the flour doesn't stick or burn on the bottom of the pot.



Add in 2 tablespoons minced garlic, 1 pound of crawfish tails and season with 1 tablespoon of Emeril's Essence (recipe below).  Stir to completely blend, allow to cook for 1 minute.



Stir in the reserved carrots and potatoes, sprinkle 1 more tablespoon of Essence, stir to combine.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.



Stir in 2-1/2 cups of heavy cream.  Once the mixture comes to a low boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.


Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley and 1 tablespoon of chopped scallions.


For easy clean-up cover a large baking sheet with foil then ladle this velvety mixture into 4 oven-proof crocks.


Place the pastry circle over the top oeach crock.  Whisk one egg in a small bowl and brush to top of each pastry circle.



Cut an "X" in the top of each pie to allow the steam to vent.  Place the pot pies in the preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the pastry if a beautiful golden brown.



Gorgeous!!! where have you been all my life???
Allow to set 5 minutes.  This will be the LONGEST 5 MINUTES OF YOU LIFE!




Are you feeling me?  Fear gone!

Emeril's Essence:
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme


Combine all ingredients thoroughly.



9 comments:

The JR said...

I just added puff pastry to my shopping list.

Am going to have to go with chicken cause I have some I need to use up.

Yours looks delicious.

Claudia said...

Nothing beats a homemade pot pie in January - yes, I am weak at the knees looking at it! Gorgeous!

Aarthi said...

Yummy recipe…will try it for sure..Thanks for posting

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com

Big Dude said...

Wow Katherine, they look awesome and it does look like some serious flavor was built in. The only time we have pot pie here is with Thanksgiving leftovers and I don't recall making the personal sized ones, but these sure have me inspired to change all of this. Wow again.

Penny said...

Hi Katherine. Good to hear from you and Happy New Year! Those pot pies would be a convert out of anyone. My husband also has an aversion to the pot pies of our childhood, but he would love these.

MaryBeth said...

I hate pot pies, but I would be all over this one for sure...

Chris said...

Truth be told, I actually liked frozen pot pies as a kid because my mother always cooked fresh. The frozen was just something different back then and what all the other kids got.

The pastry cooked perfect for these.

Anonymous said...

Crawfish in pot pie ! This looks so delicious. Crawfish is already good by itself, but in a pot pie, even better !

ratedkb.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I would use sausage instead of ham (yum) and u got a deal. This looks delish!!!