Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hot Diggity Dog! A Cure for the Summertime Blues!

I'm not going to lie, sometimes I really like a gooooooood hotdog!  Grilled of course!  Buuuuuutttt....I wanted to experiment; that's just a part of the magic of me.

The homegirlz were game once I threw in words they knew, like taco and pizza.

So this is what we did:

The Taco Dog:




We grilled some dogs and flour tortillas.  (Just place the tortillas on the grill for 2 to 3 minutes and turn when you're satisfied with the grill marks and/or doneness.)  We also put an assortment of fixin's; a blend of grated cheddar and Monterrey jack cheeses, diced onions, black olives, jalapenos, sliced green onions, and taco sauce.  Put out whatever you like on a taco.



I slathered on some taco sauce, topped the dog with onions, cheese, black olives, and green onions.


We actually rolled the dogs burrito style.  The flavor was amazing, they were light.  I liked them much better than using a hot dog bun with all the bread. 


About two weeks later, we tried these:

Pizza Dogs:



I infused some butter with garlic and drizzled it on the bun.  We then  placed grilled dogs on the buns and ladled pizza sauce over the dogs and sprinkled a combination of grated Parmesan and mozzarella cheese on top.  The dogs were placed under the broiler until the cheese was sufficiently melted.


The pizza dogs were good, but my favorite no question -  the taco dogs.  The homegirlz concurred.

So when you have the summertime blues or you just want to change things up....go for it, who knows, you may may see Hot Dog Cordon Bleu or Hot Dog Carbonara on here sometime!


So tell me, really, who let the dogs out?



10 comments:

Mr. Bill said...

Love the taco dog!

Donna-FFW said...

What fun ideas.. my kids would enjoy all of these!

Debbie said...

Great idea, especially for this time of year!

Joy Tilton said...

That's what I'm saying... I get tired of the same-old, same-old! Mom used to say, "I wish we had something new to eat!"

TinaRBK said...

I just saw that Oscar Meyer and Ballpark are battling it out in court based on advertising claims.
Since I do not eat my dogs plain, I am not favoring one over the other. Just like I am not favoring one of your dogs over another-I will have one of each please-yum!

Claudia said...

Katherine - too much fun. Always have my "dogs" plain with mustard and sauerkraut. Time for an adventure - time for - a taco dog!

The JR said...

Well both of those are neat ideas!

Lauren said...

the taco dog sounds so good! one of my favorites is a bacon cheese dog with jalapenos so the taco version isn't that far off from that. If you like spicy, I'm also really into hot dogs topped with kimchee and sriracha lately. Yum! They may get a bad rap, but hot dogs are pretty awesome.

Big Dude said...

What a super idea Katherine - I grew up on dogs that were a good hot dog sauce, mustard, and onion and was convinced everything else wasn't a hot dog. After 50 years, I've finally seen the light and realize a sausage or wienner can be delicious with many adornments - and I especially like these two.

David said...

Katherine, Nothing like a good grilled hot dog... We do miss those grilled dogs from Chicago. After looking at your photos, I really could go for a couple of pizza dogs and Laurie would gobble up a taco dog! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave