Friday, August 12, 2011

Corn, Corn and More Corn Casserole!

I had printed this Paula Deen recipe out a couple of years ago and found it while I was looking for something else.  Always on a quest to add new life to staples sides like corn, this is a keeper.  The corn lovers at your table won't be able to get enough.

1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy)
1 cup light sour cream
1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapenos (optional)
1/2 stick butter, melted
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix together the 2 cans of corn, the corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a large casserole dish prepared with non-stick cooking spray.




Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.

Yum, it smelled like popcorn when it came out of the oven!




Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly bubbly. Let casserole rest for 5 minutes and then serve warm.

Enjoy your weekend!

14 comments:

The JR said...

This one is a tiny bit different than the one I make. Looks good!

Candy said...

Yum! I think I have to make this today with some fresh corn.

www.candygirlky.blogspot.com

HEATHER said...

I have made this and we always end up scraping the pan! ;-)

Katy ~ said...

I can't get enough of this when I make it! LOVE this casserole!!!!

Marjie said...

It looks great. Cheese, of course, is just the crowning glory.

Joy Tilton said...

This is another keeper! I love your recipes...

David said...

Katherine... OK, now I'm drooling! Looks and sounds great. We will be adding this recipe to our files... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Chris said...

That sounds perfect! Was the texture like corn pudding?

MaryBeth said...

YUMM-O...we love corn casserole, this looks fabulous Katherine!

genedunn said...

Hey, we made this today and I guess I'm a little cornfused. Based on the ingredients and the pictures, I was expecting something more like cornbread or cake in consistency. Mine turned out more like a corn pudding. The top was GBD before I added the cheese, and the sides were crispy, but the inside was like a soft grit cake. It was still yummy, but did I miss something?

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

genedunn - The consistency isn't supposed to be bready or cakelike; it should have just a little more body than a pudding. You can definitely taste the cornbread mix in this csserole but it shouldn't be gritty. Sounds like you did it right!

Carol Murdock said...

Lord! I'm making this! I'm hungry now! XOXO

Tabitha said...

Hi! I have a quick question...do i mix the Jiffy Mix how it says on the box before i add all the ingridents or do i just add the mix. I mixed the Jiffy Mix how it said on the box than i added everything else...it came out good...was that how i was suppose to do it?

Unknown said...

When you say a "large casserole dish" do you mean a 9x13?