Friday, May 6, 2011

Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy

Is there a meal from your childhood that you can still smell or taste?  One that brings a smile your face still?  Can you remember walking into your home and that aroma hit you and you raced to the kitchen to make sure your nose wasn't fooling you?  You see one happy site; your mom or maybe your dad making one of your favorite dinners. 

Hamburger steak in brown gravy...oh yeah with smashed taters, now you're talking!  Chopped steak, hamburger steak all the same...is Salisbury the same thing?  I'll have to investigate and get back to you.

Don't be scared by all the pictures, this is sooooooooooo worth it!  You will have to make a REAL roux and I know you can do it.  Once you make a real roux, there will be no stopping you.

Beef  Patties:

2 lbs lean ground beef or ground sirloin
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
1 clove minced garlic
3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
1 tablespoon butter




Combine the ground beef, egg, Worcestershire, shallots, garlic, parsley, ground mustard, bread crumbs, flour, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a large bowl. Shape 6 to 8 oval patties.  Place on a plate and set aside. 



Heat a large skillet (break out the cast iron if you have it) over medium-heat and add the oil and butter.



When the butter foams add the patties and brown, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Place the browned patties to a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.  Spoon off any remaining oil but be sure to leave the browned bits, that's flavor!


Mushroom Gravy:

2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 small onion, minced
1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brandy
2 cups low-sodium beef stock



Return the same skillet to the stove and lower the heat to medium.  Add the oil and heat, then sprinkler in the flour.  NOTE:  To make a REAL roux, you have to use oil and NOT butter.  Butter can handle the heat and will break down before you achieve the color and flavor of the roux for a brown gravy. Butter is fine for a blond roux or a bechemel sauce but not for this type of gravy.



Continuous stir and be real careful not to splash, the roux will burn you.  You will notice as the flour cooks, the color and smell will change.  The roux will begin to get a slightly nutty smell.  Keep stirring, do a figure 8, write your name, draw a picture in it, just keep it moving so it doesn't burn.



Once the roux is a little darker than peanut butter you're where you want to be.


Add the mushrooms, onion, and thyme, and enjoy the amazing aroma!  Stir to coat the veggies.  Contrary to popular belief, a roux does not stop cooking once you add the veggies, it will brown a little more and once the veggies begin releasing their moisture, then the roux will stop browning.




Add the tablespoon of butter and continue cooking, stirring from time to time until the mushrooms are a golden brown.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.




Add the brandy and stir, cook 1 minute, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.



Slowly pour in the stock and stir until smooth. Allow gravy to come to a boil and cook until gravy had reduced and thickened, about 8 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.



Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste and pour the gravy over the beef patties waiting in the baking dish.



Place dish in pre-heated 350 degree oven.  Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.


Remove from the oven and uncover and allow it to sit 5 minutes before serving with homemade mashed potatoes and green beans.  Retro is good!

Have a fantastic weekend and Happy Mother's Day! 


15 comments:

Cathy said...

My grandmother used to make something similar and your mouthwatering photos bring back all those memories. I can almost taste that delicious gravy.

The JR said...

We make hamburger steaks and gravy but have never added the mushrooms.

Lyndas recipe box said...

Retro is wonderful when you make this meal! I call it Salisbury Steak when I make it, but whatever it's called, delicious it is. A good old fashioned comfort meal-great job!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Have to laugh, this is a meal from my childhood, but nothing like what my poor Mother used to make...

Happy mother's Day to you, so do you have to or get to cook on Mother's Day???

nanny said...

Comfort food at its best! I guess if I could have any meat in the world....steak and gravy would be #1!

Mickle in NZ said...

I'm so delighted to see the mustard in your ground beefsteaks recipe. A favourite from my childhood here in New Zealand includes a big spoonfull of mustard. Never fear, Smoky Mountain Cafe readers, the mustardy heat is "killed" by the cooking process.

This recipe I grew up with also has mixed dried herbs, crushed garlic, soaked breadcrumbs, an egg, and decently favoursome amounts of salt and pepper. Now, yours has wonderful additions like worcestershire sauce .....

If I combine the your own and my methods I think I may end up with the bestest, most favourful, juicy and delicious beef burger ever!

Super thanks for sharing your scrummy recipe, Michelle downunder in New Zealand

teresa said...

totally drooling over here, what a delicious meal!

Chris said...

Great tip about the oil vs butter, I didn't know that.

Jennifer said...

I am going to make this soon, my mom was a shitty cook so I have no food memories, LOL

Debbie said...

Okay.....now I have got to make these! You make everything look so delicious Katherine. I want one of those right now with some mashed potatoes on the side. My husband would love this dish too!

The Blonde Duck said...

Hooray! I love these but Ben would always turn his nose up....but if there's a roux involved, he'll eat it!

Comfortcook said...

Boy, you hit the nail on the head with this one!! I would have to say that Hamburger Steak is one of my most favorite things in the world and I can cook just about anything I can dream up. That's giving a lot of kudos to the simple, yet delicious Hamburger Steak. My go to meal. My comfort food. And your recipe looks/sounds delicious! I can't wait to take a spin down Memory Lane with this one!!! Comfortcook

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy Wednesday!

Unknown said...

oh wow I am definitely going to try to make this! sound s goooood thanks for sharing!

styleandchocolates

Unknown said...

Just made this tonight added onions to the mix! 5 star meal if you ask me!