Thursday, June 3, 2010

Smoky Mountain Spanish Rice Stir Fry

I've told you all in the past that my family is a serious group of rice eaters.  Me, I'm a pasta person but this rice is now one of the most requested side dishes in my house.  It's quick, fresh tasting and gone in an instant.



Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 chopped medium Vidalia or yellow onion and 1 chopped poblano pepper and cook just until they "begin" to soften. Note - you can also use Anaheim peppers if you want more heat.




Add 2 cups of cooked and slightly cooled white rice and toss evenly blend.



Now add the 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic.  Toss to thoroughly blend and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.  Rice may brown slightly and this is good..




Slowly add 1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce in 2 ounce increments to cook off the liquid just a little.  You want the rice to have a nice red coating but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and garnish  with green onions.



Now this is a seriously delicious rice dish!

27 comments:

Big Dude said...

Are you the same person who used to blog under this name a long, long time ago? Rice looks good, see you Saturday.

julie said...

Yum! This looks delicious! We like ourselves some rice in this house too. Thanks for sharing!

Jhonny walker said...

I have a serious rice eater in the house and would he love this one!!

JodieMo said...

Great post! Nice to see you back. :)

gigi said...

Oh, a new recipe??? Love hearing from you, you have been missed! Sounds good.

Plain Chicken said...

Looks great! This would be a hit at our house too.

Marjie said...

Welcome back! Hope your next hiatus isn't as long! I like adding tomatoes or tomato sauce to rice for some added flavor, too.

Claudia said...

My family is also manic about rice. This is just scrumptious and would be downed in no time.

La Bella Cooks said...

Mmmm, I am a rice lover too and this one looks fantastic. I love the spicyness of it.

tamilyn said...

Trying to get more rice in our diet. Maybe I need to jazz it up more?

Marguerite said...

Oh, this rice looks fabulous! I will be making it soon and am printing out the recipe! Thanks for sharing! Have fun at the blogger party! Cheers!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

This looks really good and I love rice.

Rice Palette said...

Very interesting dish, I think I want to give this a shot. Tomato sauce mixed in rice? I need to start experimenting!

Anonymous said...

Yummy rice!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Katherine, it looks wonderful. I can see why it's a favorite with your family. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

buffalodick said...

We try to mix it up..we like rice, pasta, and my wife enjoys potatoes..

Jennifer said...

I am a rice girl myself, I may have to make this tonigh to go with my pork chops!

teresa said...

oooh, i could eat a huge helping of this easily! it looks wonderful!

Chris said...

That sounds fabulous, Katherine! Ole! Mexican rice is one of our favorites too, but we always do ours pilaf style (cooking the uncooked rice with the veggies). Your stir fry technique sounds like a great treat!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Katherine,
Quick, refreshing and goes in an instant - what more can you want for a side dish? I'm a rice person myself so I can see how this is a favorite at your house.

See you later today. I'm really looking forward to meeting you.
Sam

Joanne said...

Knowing how much your family loves rice, if they approve of this then I know it must be good!

Kathryn Magendie said...

It's been years since I've had spanish rice -my mother used to make it all the time :)

MaryBeth said...

I have been trying for what seems like forever to gain access to your blog. For whatever reason i have been unable to, I have missed you so. We also love rice in our house and this is a wonderful version we will have to give a try.

Cathy said...

This recipe is similar to a Spanish rice that my mother used to make. Your version looks very tasty.

Fresh Local and Best said...

I really like this idea for Spanish rice. It's a much quicker process than other recipes. Great job!

pigpigscorner said...

I love both rice and pasta. this looks so good!

The JR said...

I luv em both too. But will pick rice over pasta most any day.