Monday, February 22, 2010

Apple Sausage Hash with Sunny Side Up Fried Eggs

In our house, we are big fans of breakfast food for dinner.  Hash and eggs, so simple, so comforting and so easy to make.  Sometimes it’s the simplest ingredients that give you really big flavors.   This will certainly lift your spirits and make you feel warm all over.


3 russet potatoes diced into 1/2-inch cubes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 lb. Apple Sausage or smoke sausage diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 medium sized yellow onion, chopped
1/2 medium sized green bell pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1-1 /2 teaspoon of your favorite Creole Seasoning
1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and Black Pepper
Fried Eggs Sunny Side Up, recipe follows
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish

Place cubed potatoes in a large pot with enough salted water to cover by 2 inces. Bring potatoes to a boil. continue boiling potatoes about 10 minutes (until tender). Drain and reserve.

While potatoes are boiling, add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the cubed sausage and brown. Remove the sausage from the skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate. To the same skillet, add the onions and bell peppers and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes. Then stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the potatoes, thyme, Creole Seasoning and stir thoroughly to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes start to crisp and turn golden brown. Return the sausage to the pan, stir to combine.  Cook until heated through.

Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, spoon a generous helping of the sausage hash and top with one to two sunny-side up fried eggs.  Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve immediately.

Fried Eggs Sunny Side Up:

1 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
2 large eggs
Salt and black pepper

In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. While the butter is melting, carefully crack two eggs into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.  When the butter is foamy, carefully pour the eggs into the skillet. Cook until the whites are firm, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.

Remove from skillet with a flat spatula and to plate and serve.




37 comments:

The JR said...

Yum, very nice looking. Love those sunny side up eggs!

Would like to have them peeping at me on my plate.

Chef E said...

You went right for the jugular on this one, since I did not eat breakfast...I have eggs though!

Man this looks good, and you are so right! Just the right ingredients make the dish, and big flavor!

Big Dude said...

That is my kind of meal and it looks outstanding. Like you guys, I like breakfast food for dinner or anytime of the day

Bob said...

Love it! Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things. That looks wicked good.

pam said...

The other night we had french toast for dinner and it was soooo good!

The Diva on a Diet said...

We're big fans of breakfast for dinner too ... especially any kind of hash 'n eggs. This looks wonderful, Katherine, so comforting and hearty too. Yum!

buffalodick said...

We had sausage and hash brown casserole for supper Friday!

Joanne said...

There are seriously few things in life that I love more than breakfast for dinner! Apples and sausage make such a great combination.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely looking dish, Katherine. It looks and sounds outstanding.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love breakfast for dinner. In fact, I wish every dinner was a breakfast dinner.

Debbie said...

I'm also a huge fan of breakfast for dinner...or even for lunch! Looks delicious!

Plain Chicken said...

I am terrible at cooking breakfast. I guess I just need to practice. Your dinner/breakfast looks great! I should just come to your house.

NKP said...

We love breakfast for dinner too. Looks totally delicious!

Claudia said...

Love breakfast foods - and only do a full one on the weekend. Oh those sunnyside eggs made me smile - named so appropriately, very sunny! And the sausage and potatoes.... mmmm- is there a better way to start the day?

meleah rebeccah said...

Ooooooooh. Yum! I love having breakfast for dinner!

Barbara said...

I do it often...breakfast for dinner. And everyone loves it! Could be potato pancakes, could be waffles, could just be a bacon and egg sandwich.
But your recipe is chock full of everything I like! I rarely make hash and I should, because I love it so much. With the sausage and other flavors, it must have been delicious.

Marjie said...

I enjoy breakfast for dinner, especailly on weekends, when I don't schedule my day...just let it happen!

Sook said...

Breakfast for dinner is also our family's favorite! :) Yum!

Anonymous said...

I too am a huge fan of breakfast foods. I'm loving this dish.

Anonymous said...

My daughter and love to eat breakfast foods for dinner and this hash looks so good with the eggs & the apple sausage! Will have to make this soon!

Judy said...

This is a wonderful breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner -- in short, any time at all. Love it.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like a fabulous way to start the day. I love runny eggs!

gigi said...

We do that at least once a week, have breakfast for dinner. It's fast and good. The Sweetheart would love this.

Cathy said...

I enjoy eggs for any meal of the day. Serving a couple sunny side up over hash is heaven. This recipe is a keeper.

tamilyn said...

If my tummy wasn't so upset, I'd probably go whip up a version of this with what is in the fridge. I had to skip over the egg part and my stomach got the 'wiggley's'.

La Bella Cooks said...

I may just have to whip this up for dinner since I need something simple yet yummy but I do not feel well enough to make a big meal. This fits the bill perfect and looks very filling. Can't beat that.

Pam said...

I'm all for breakfast for dinner and this would be the perfect dinner. Looks very nice, my kind of food!

Pam said...

Love it! I could eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Lele said...

I loooooove breakfast for dinner! It's rare that I feel like eating sausage or eggs first thing in the morning, but I love them at night! And I love the addition of apples to hash- what a great idea!

teresa said...

mmmm, comfort food at it's best, i love the look of those eggs, great dish!

chow and chatter said...

oh wow looks so good

msmeanie said...

You are right. Breakfast foods rock! So simple and delicious. This recipe looks great and I bet the veggie version sans sausage would be tasty too. Thanks!

pigpigscorner said...

Anything with sunny side up!

Katy ~ said...

My stomach is growling!! I want this!

MaryBeth said...

We love breakfast for dinner...we just did that tonight. I love eggs this way but have never tried tomake them myself.

Hornsfan said...

Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorites!!! Love this dish, I've recently learned to appreciate a good hash, will definitely dig up some apple sausage to make this one :)

sanjeet said...

Man this looks good, and you are so right! Just the right ingredients make the dish, and big flavor!
home based data entry