Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Zesty Bacon Grilled Shrimp

The title is the grabber to get you in here and reading today. The Cafe' is bustling with activity. Not only is my husband, A.J., going to grill some mouth watering shrimp for you, we have gratuitous soccer photos of the homegirlz and awards! Let's get busy!


What are you making for Labor Day? Do you need ideas? Do you want to jazz everyone? Do I ask way too many questions?
My husband, A.J., has your answer. Yes, I relinquished the grill back to A.J. and he did not disappoint with this tasty treat. Yes, sometimes even I can chill out...but just a little.


Peel, de-vein and butterfly the shrimp. I think he is working with about one pound of 31/40 shrimp here.


Clean and de-seed two jalapenos. Slice the jalapenos into very thin slices. Place the jalapeno strip into the shrimp as shown. If you read my post about our herbs and veggies then you know about the red jalapeno. Yes, the little rascal met his fate. If you're new to this blog, pretend the jalapeno is green...it's a long story.


Brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder.



Place the shrimp on a grill pan and place on a medium-high heat to slightly sear. You have to quick because the shrimp cook fast.



Pre-cook cut strips of bacon (cut the bacon into 2 inch long strips) to about halfway done. You want most of the fat cooked from the bacon and the bacon to still be pliable. Wrap the a bacon strip around the shrimp and fasten with a toothpick. NOTE: We precooked the bacon indoors in an effort to keep the grease drippings from causing the grill to flare up and possibly burn everything else we had cooking on the grill.


Finish cooking over moderate heat and watch how fast these little suckers disappear!
We're heavy into the beginning of high school girls soccer. The homegirlz have been working very hard.
Starting line-up at one of the tournament games this past weekend. My baby, Kaitlin, is #6, fourth from the left in blue, hands on her hips and my oldest, Lauren, showing plenty of attitude is #16. Yes, hands on h on her hips looking to her right. ~Sigh~ DNA I guess...from A.J.'s side.

She's, little, she's fast, she comes out of nowhere and no one can get the ball back from her once she gets possession!
My baby, getting ready to go on the attack. she's tougher than she looks.
To be honest, I have no idea what's going on. I'm in the bleachers, I yell, I take pictures and say a thousand prayers that my babies don't get hurt. That's about all you're going to get.
Now for awards! Whoo-hoo!
Carol from The Writer's Porch gave me this fantastic BINGO BEAUTIFUL BLOG AWARD! thank you so much Carol! This is how it works:

The B-I-N-G-O Beautiful Blog Award was started by Bookin With Bingo Blog.


BEAUTIFUL......Mary from One Perfect Bite and Elra from Elra's Baking

INFORMATIVE...Natashya from Living in the Kitchen with Puppies and Gigi from Afterthoughts
NEIGHBORLY......Betsy from Joyful Reflections and Chris from Nibble Me This
GORGEOUS......Pam from Sidewalk Shoes and Chef E from Food~Wine~Fun
OUTSTANDING....Mrs. G from the Women's Colony and Greg from Greg's General Store
Pass It On!!

45 comments:

Juliana said...

These shrimps look so yummie, like the idea of adding jalapeno...great for appetizers!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a great shrimp dish I love the addition of jalapeno. Must be so good.

Dewi said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful award Katherine. I am so honored. Thank you!

Your husband must be a very good cook too, that shrimps really look delicious.

gigi said...

That recipe is enough, you didn't have to give me an award too, but I'll take it and run with it!!! Doing the happy dance now and waving my hands in the air!!
Thank you dear friend!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Congrats on your award, Katherine, and thanks for passing it on to me. I will proudly post it on my sidebar with your name. That helps me think of you often!!!!

The shrimp sounds marvelous... I'll be there (if you left some for me)... ha

Good Luck to the soccer girls. Looks like they are GREAT athletes...

Hugs,
Betsy

Chef E said...

I keep forgetting that I want to make shrimp, since its been quite a few post ago...these sound great!

Congrats on the awards!

Cathy said...

Love bacon wrapped shrimp!!! Jalapeno would be a great addition...as well as some garlic aioli for dipping. I miss the start of soccer season...I should look for an over 30's team.

Pearl said...

the bacon wrapped shrimp look very appropriate for the wrap up of summer!

Marjie said...

I love shrimp, and I'm glad AJ took over the grill for you. It's great if the girls are having fun, even if you have no clue what's going on. (I don't get sports, either, I just say random things to make people laugh).

buffalodick said...

I love poppers! So many neat to eat treats they can be stuffed with! They even sell popper holders for going on the grill or in the oven!

Lucy..♥ said...

Not that I need to be pulled on over here, but with this title surely I couldn't wait to see what the feast was!! OMG! These sound so awesome and a must!

To a great soccer season, Girls!!

Selba said...

Great idea of shrimp dish!

Congrats on your award, Katherine.

Claudia said...

Wow - that shrimp dazzled me. You cannot go wrong with shrimp (well maybe not shrimp gelato) and love how you cooked (your husband ahem)it! Congrats on the awards and having fun with the soccer girls!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Katherine, thank you so much for the beautiful award. I am really pleased and honored.

The shrimp look really great and they are not run of the mill. Very interesting.

Chris said...

We WERE neighbors this past weekend. Here's our shots from Bearden on Saturday. We were right next to each other:)

http://chris-ourfamilybulletinboard.blogspot.com/2009/08/weekend-report.html

Thanks for the award!

AJ's shrimp made me want basil stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp, a very similar dish. Nice job!

NKP said...

Those shrimpies look fabulous! Perfect with a couple of frosty beers.
Congrats on your well deserved award, thank you so much for thinking of me!

MaryBeth said...

I am keeling over dead just at the thought of how hot these little guys are, but yet at the same time they look darn good. My husband would gobble them up...

Chef E said...

OH, Katherine, I did not even read my name on here till gigi who we belong to Friday Shoot Out on my TMI blog said congrats...Thanks! I got two in one week!

GarlicBOSS said...

Hot with that pepper... sounds good

Jane In The Jungle said...

Shrimp on the grill with jalepeno!!! Be still my heart!
My oldest made jalepeno salsa today....burned that boy up, he left every seed in!!

Anonymous said...

Delicious shrimp, I love the addition of jalapenos!

Jennifer said...

Homegirlz look adorable! I need shrimp help

Lyndas recipe box said...

Love the look of that bacon and shrimp! Great combo!
Good luck to your girls!

Coleens Recipes said...

With shrimp AND bacon, it HAS to be delicious.

tavolini said...

Oh, Tavo loves those shrimp with bacon and jalapenos! They're called "Rat Toes" here.

Hooray for the soccer girls! My sister and I both played in high school, too. Well, rather, we both warmed the bench ;)

tamilyn said...

I can't believe the fall sports are already here! My hubby would love that shrimp :)

Hornsfan said...

Soccer already? Guess it is sort-a fall :) The shrimp looks delicious!

Jennifer said...

I need one of those barbequeue grill pans and I love the Jalepeno!

La Bella Cooks said...

It is only 9 am here and i am craving some of your shrimp! Yummy! Congrats on your award!

Lynn said...

I LOVE those bacon and shrimp appetizers. I've never tried them with the peppers, though. Bet it's good :)

Lea Ann said...

I have a very similar recipe to this and they are absolutely delicious! I love making them and people gobble them up. I'll try your version soon.

Greg C said...

I hadn't had a chance to visit your blog yet today but I was looking at my sitemeter and noticed that there was a feed from your blog. Whoo Hooo it is a great day. Thanks so much. I will catch the shrimp if you bring the bacon. :)

The Diva on a Diet said...

The jalapeno insert is brilliant ... and there's bacon too?! I'd say this dish is perfect.

Wishing a wonderful soccer season to your darlings and congrats on the awards! :)

teresa said...

i don't think it gets much better then shrimp stuffed with bacon! delicious!

Katy ~ said...

Have Mercy! These sound fantastic!

The Blonde Duck said...

Shrimp are tasty!

Debbie said...

Oh yum...those shrimp look great. Love the jalapeno!

The JR said...

We've made something similar and did add jalapeno. They look good. And taste great.
Ramona

pam said...

Okay...the shrimp sound fabulous, I'm rooting for the girls, and thanks for the award! I can't wait for my husband to get home so that I can tell him I'm "gorgeous"

Reeni said...

What a spicy and delicious treat these are! Congrats on your well-deserved award!! Your so cute - cheering on your homegirlz!

Apples and Butter said...

Those shrimp look delicious and zingy! I love it when my boyfriend takes over the grill and brings something wonderful back inside. Good luck with the soccer season!

Mrs. G. said...

I am grateful to be included in with so many other nice bloggers. Thank you, Katherine. Now pass me some of that bacon shrimp!

Joanne said...

Congrats on the awards!

You are such a soccer mom! But in an absolutely adorable way. I wish I had played more sports in high school...

The shrimp look excellent. So spicy and flavorful!

Jeff said...

I have always been a big fan of the red jalapenos. Actually smoke them very low until they are dried out and you will have chipotles.

Our labor day menu is insane. I don't even want to post it but it does involve a lot of pickling and freezing of fresh veggies for a later fate.

Bacon makes the world happy :-)

pigpigscorner said...

Great idea with stuffing the shrimps with jalepeno!