Monday, June 1, 2009

Chicken Pontalba

If you want to make a chicken dish that is impressive and will bowl over you, your family, friends and neighbors then look no further than Chicken Pontalba! If you want to show them all you can cook Creole, than make this dish....make it tonight!
I'm using boneless skinless chicken breasts because that is what I had, but you can use any cut of chicken you have handy. Just be sure to remove the skin from your chicken to keep the sauce from being greasy.

Slice up 1/2 yellow onion and 1/2 lb. of oyster mushrooms and set aside.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat add 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add chicken to the skillet and brown the chicken. Once chicken is brown evenly, transfer to a 9x9 baking dish.
If you are cooking more chicken pieces, use a 9x13 baking dish.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Reduce the heat to medium and saute the onions and mushrooms until tender, about 3 minutes.


Add 1/2 cup of dry white wine, 1/2 cup of beef broth, (I know we're cooking chicken, but trust me, use beef broth) 1/2 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes (If you're cooking more chicken pieces, use the whole can), 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne and 1 tablespoon flour. Stir to combine thoroughly. Cook at a low simmer for about five minutes. Add 1/2 cup of roughly chopped pimento stuffed olives. Stir to mix and remove from heat. Be careful if you decide to add salt since the olives contain a lot of salt.

Pour mixture over chicken and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes. While the chicken is in the oven, cook up some fluffy white rice.
Serve yourself a piece of chicken a spoonful of fluffy rice and a generous ladle of gravy. This will be your "go to" meal!

41 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I do believe large quanities of this is needed in the Pond.

How goes the job hunt?

Marjie said...

I've had chicken made with beef broth and beef made with chicken broth. While it seems wrong, you are right; they are so good it's unbelievable! Nothing like a good chicken dish to make life easy.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

That looks impressive and delicious. I've never seen Chicken Pontalba before.

Christo Gonzales said...

very impressive...I think I will turn creole this week!

pigpigscorner said...

The sauce looks amazing! I want some with rice!

Kristen said...

That does look impressive!

Anonymous said...

Go to meal is right! My hubs would love this.

I was just wondering what to do with the mushrooms in my fridge...would crimini's work okay?

Pam said...

Um...hello, why wasn't I invited to dinner? This looks amazing. Can't wait to make it.

Cathy said...

This looks delicious! Can't wait to try it out!

Katy ~ said...

Chicken has just reached new heights. Looks super duper!

Mary Bergfeld said...

That's one lovely recipe and I suspect your right - it could become the go-to meal for a lot of busy cooks.

Claudia said...

You are right - I need to make this - now. I am in dress rehearsal all week and need something easy - but luscious for the family. And believe I have all the ingredients. You might just be my savior this week.!

Carol Murdock said...

Girlfriend...you do know your way around a stove!!! I'm starving now!
* muwah *

Justin said...

that looks fantastic

Lucy..♥ said...

What a wonderful chicken meal!!! I too have never heard of this before either, but I must try this... Thanks for this great post, kudos!!

La Bella Cooks said...

Oh, this looks so delicious all spooned over the rice. How comforting. The sauce just puts it over the top, I imagine.

Donna-FFW said...

Looks very delicious, and incredible. I bet it tastes amazing.

Maria said...

Perfectly paired with the rice. Very nice!

Chef E said...

I was thinking just the sauted onions, and up to the addition of white wine would work for me! I use a stock that is different from the dish main ingredients, like chicken stock and a fish, because it makes for a great flavor...great post!

My grandfather made this when we would visit, but he drank the wine :)

Selba said...

Reading the recipe, I think I love the sauce :)

teresa said...

Oh my goodness, I can practically smell it already!

Sherri Murphy said...

Well, I'm impressed! And yet another chicken recipe I've never heard of that looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

I've never had this particular preparation for chicken - it sounds wonderful, can't wait to try it!

Reeni said...

You have some great chicken recipes, Katherine! This is just loaded with flavor and lots of comfort food yumminess!

Heather S-G said...

Oh yes, this sounds yummy! That gravy...ahhh, heaven. Finger-lickin'!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, how have I not had this before? It looks scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

pontalba looks GORRRGEOUS!! love it! but not on white rice for me...hee!
I think I'll love this in a bread bowl! or just on top of nice crusty baguette!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Wow - that looks amazing! I am adding it to my to-do list. Hope things are going well for you!

XOXO
Jen

MsTypo said...

This looks tasty as always!! :)

Jennifer said...

Thanks for dish to impress and experiment with some grat flavors.

gigi said...

I wish I would have 'gone to' it last night! I am in such a funk that I asked Harry if he wanted a bowl of oatmeal for supper. He didn't of course so I had to warm up some left overs. So glad we have a microwave. It's been used a lot lately. You make me want to cook. Maybe today?

Penny said...

This sounds like a keeper to me. Will give it a try.

Netts Nook said...

Katherine the chicken looks so tender. You always have such great ideas.

Rachel said...

Anything that calls for mushrooms and onions catches my eye :) Unfortunately, my husband will NEVER agree to go anywhere near mushrooms, so this is a recipe I'll have to save for a time when he's not around...maybe the next time I go to visit my parents!!!

Debbie said...

Katherine that looks just fantastic. My mouth is watering just looking at this. Thanks for such a great recipe!

buffalodick said...

That's my kind of meal, darlin'! Looked and sounded great...

pam said...

This sounds wonderful!

tavolini said...

I'm saving this one--I've never heard of Pontalba before, it looks like something Tavo would love. (also, any dish that can be prepared ahead of time and shoved in the oven when needed is definitely up my alley!)

Melissa said...

I can see why this would be a go to dish. Just reading through the ingredients, I bet it would be bursting with flavor.

Hope you're doing well Katherine!

Jude said...

Thanks for introducing me to this dish. I've never even heard of this before but it sounds fantastic.

Affordable homes said...

I so love this one.. thanks for the recipe