Monday, June 22, 2009

Apple Pecan Cream Pie


My sister-in-law, Theresa, is the genius behind this dessert. Theresa made this for us a couple of weeks ago when we visited and chowed down on my brother John's tasty barbecue. I dreamed of this pie since Theresa served and she was kind enough to send the recipe along to me to share with you.
I know all of you have been working out and look so buff in your bikinis. Once you come in from the sweltering heat, you will be craving this easy to prepare, frosty creamy pie. It's just what the doctor ordered this summer!

You will need one graham cracker pie crust and one 21 ounce can of apple pie filling. Theresa likes this brand.

In a large bowl mix together the pie filling, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/2 cup of pecans. Our grocery store had one pound bags of walnuts on sale, so I used 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts.
Pack half of the mixture into the bottom of the pie shell and cover and refrigerate the other half.
In an other bowl, whisk together 1 cup of half-n-half and 4 ounces of room temperature cream cheese until smooth.
Add in 1 small package of French Vanilla or Vanilla instant pudding and whisk until thoroughly blended.
Fold in 1-1/2 cups of whipped cream until well blended.

Pour into pie shell on top of apple mixture. Cover and freeze for at least two hours.
Top with the remainder of the apple mixture, thaw and serve. Refrigerate if you have any leftovers. You must make this pie, seriously, trust me.

40 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a tempting dessert! It's relatively easy to do so it's a winner in my book. Have a great day.

Christo Gonzales said...

this is unique! I have never tasted nor seen anything like it but I tell you now it would be a favorite!

Anonymous said...

This pie sounds absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Maria said...

That is a very dreamy dessert!

foodcreate said...

Mouth watering Monday! :Dessert looks so Yummy!

Thanks for sharing your recipe:)

Have Wonderful Monday~~~
Welcome~~
http://foodcreate.com

Meaghan said...

Okay this looks so delicious...can you come over and make it for me?

Also, I wanted to invite you to my raffle on Spirit Jump. $1 for 1 ticket and each week (starting Sundays) we have new prizes like airline tickets, grills, jewelry...All $ goes to fight cancer.

http://www.spiritjump.com
Twitter @spiritjump

gigi said...

Oh, girlfreind! This is evil and I am all over this recipe. I can't wait to fix and serve this. It looks so yummy and Frozen seems a little like ice cream.

Chef E said...

WOW! I need that ASAP :)

Gladys said...

I have made something similar but sugar free or I should say NO ADDED sugar. Instead of using canned pie filling I cook down my sliced apples with a little cinnamon and splenda. I pour these into a crust made from ground almonds and butter. Then on top I use s/f pudding. It really is decadent for those who don't want a lot of sugar. (problem is it is about 130 cal per slice if your working on cals.)

HEATHER said...

This sounds so delish!!
I was showing my mother your recipes and she accidently hit your twitter page, and now she is dying for your blueberry cake recipe!

Marjie said...

Yes, I must. Soon.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

What a stunner-no wonder it had you dreaming about it ;)

Anonymous said...

Just what the doctor ordered? Well, I'll take a huge slice, then, please.

Treehouse Chef said...

OMGness this looks good!

Debbie said...

I'll be over in 30 minutes. Get it ready!!!

Debbie said...

I think my husband would flip over this pie. I will have to try it. Thanks!!! (Great summer recipe too!)

theUngourmet said...

This looks like a delicious and fun one! :P

Heather S-G said...

major drool...I am loving this pie!

teresa said...

this would be worth putting the bikini away for! i love it!

Dewi said...

Sounds like really really scrumptious Apple pie katherine! Delicious!

La Bella Cooks said...

Oh my goodness, Katherine, this sounds divine!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Oh my gosh.....that looks amazing and easy!!! Tell Theresa THANK YOU from Chattanooga!!

Marguerite said...

Oh I do trust you, Katherine! This pie looks like it's worth the calories, cher! Absolutely sinful!! I'll try it out on my company this week.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Oooo...looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing!

tamilyn said...

That looks incredible. I don't like pie, but I have several people in the family who do!

Sherri Murphy said...

Dreamy! Love it.

Donna-FFW said...

Love quick and easy desserts like this. I have got to try this one.

Dee said...

Wow, Katherine! This pie looks so delicious & just the thing for our Hot Summer days here. Glad you shared this one. I love this type of dessert in the Summer months.

Joanne said...

Apple pie in summer?!?!? With cream no less! I'm all over that.

The JR said...

I can see why you liked it.

Ramona

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

That looks like a fun dessert!!

Cathy said...

Ooooh! I don't think I've ever had an apple cream pie. That's about the change, that's for sure! This looks amazing!

tavolini said...

oooh--I like how this is a chilled pie :) Looks really tasty...and pretty easy, too. Thanks for sharing!

The Blonde Duck said...

I was totally going to make that pie last night, but after my pecan disaster this weekend I wussed out.

So I'll make it Friday. :)

Debbie said...

Oh my....looks great. Forget the bikini, bring on the pie!!

buffalodick said...

Looks easy enough and tasty enough to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your sweet words, Katherine! you are way too kind :-)

Unknown said...

Looking gooood Katherine!

Reeni said...

I've never seen anything like this! It looks truly divine! The perfect summertime treat - cool and refreshing!

Justine said...

wow this sounds so delicious! what a great mix of ingredients!