Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Roasted Broccoli

I am going to try and share the emotions that I feel everytime I taste these simply delicious roasted broccoli florets. Roasted broccoli has a nutty taste, very different from steamed and raw versions. Right now our grocery store has piles of broccoli at a really great price. Sometimes it's hard to know what to do with broccoli besides steaming it or covering it with cheese. So grab some broccoli from the grocery and make this quick and easy side. Hey, it's broccoli, you can feel good about serving it to your family and have fun watching their faces squirm when they see you grab it from the fridge.

Roasted Broccoli -
Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Rinse and drain the broccoli stalks and cut off the stalks. You want florets with very little stems. Place the florets on a baking pan lined with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Season the broccoli with 1 tablespoon of grill seasoning (preferably McCormick's Montreal Grill Seasoning), 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and about 2 to 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Toss the florets with your hands to evenly coat the the seasonings and olive oil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the florets are tender and slightly brown.
Your family and friends will become broccoli believers.

12 comments:

Prudy said...

I can't believe I've missed the boat on roasted broccoli. I"ve roasted everything under the sun including cauliflower-but have never thought to roast broccoli. I'm buying some today and roasting it. Thanks for the idea!

Maria said...

Great reminder. I haven't made roasted broccoli in a long time. It is so tasty and so good for you!!

Pam said...

I am excited to try this. I roast my vegetables all the time but have never tried broccoli. Thanks for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

I discovered roasted broccoli a few years back. It is so much better than steamed!

Lori said...

I will definitely try this. I've had roasted asparagus before, but never broccoli. It sounds delicious! And broccoli is so good for you!

Marjie said...

I steamed broccoli last night, and my youngest took one of his pieces and stood it in the top of his penne, which he had carefully mounded up. Look, Mommy, there's a tree on the hill on my plate, he said! We're obviously fans of broccoli here.

Steph said...

This sounds interesting! I've always just boiled broccoli with some salt and oil.

The Blonde Duck said...

It's hard to make broccoli look good, but you've done it! Looks great!

Katie said...

I will have to try this - I love broccoli.

Greg C said...

I have never had it prepared that way but plan on giving it a try. My family loves broccoli. My wife likes it plain but my son likes his with cheese. I like it anyway.

gigi said...

I love broccoli! I love roasted vegetables, can't believe I've missed this. I'm trying this this weekend!

Aggie said...

I LOVE roasted broccoli. It's the only way I make it (I think out of laziness). No really though, I think it tastes just great. I love it with garlic...mmmm.