Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chicken Pastina

Have you seen the mini pastas the grocery stores are selling? I learned from an Italian friend that the mini pasta is called "pastina". The mini pastas cook a little faster which is great when you're in a little bit of a hurry. I used the mini farfalle (bowtie), you can use your favorite pasta shape and size. This is the easiest, most awesome and quick chicken dish that will wow your family and friends. It's pretty economical too!
Chicken Pastina -



Chop one medium onion and 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsely.



Cube one package of chicken tenders. Cook 1/2 lb. of mini pasta to al-dente in salted water. Butter a 9x9 baking dish.



Add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil to a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes. Add the onions and 2 cloves minced garlic, stirring to combine, and cook until the onions are soft and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 - 7 minutes more.





Pour chicken mixture into buttered dish add 1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes (with juice), 1 cup, 1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.





In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs and 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta mixture. Dot the top with small bits of butter.
Bake in a pre-heated 400 degree for about 20 minutes to melt the cheeses and then place under the broiler for a minute or two until the top is golden brown.

13 comments:

Prudy said...

OH, what a gorgeous dinner. It has everything I love and I actually have the mini bowties in the cupboard now.

Marjie said...

Nice combination! I love chicken cooked with diced tomatoes. And, of course, pasta always sells well with kids of all ages, doesn't it?

Maria said...

we have been on a pasta kick lately! We will have to try the minis!

Pam said...

This looks and sounds fantastic. A perfect dish to serve company. I enjoy using mini pastas - my kids love them.

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks great! My husband is from Louisana too, and this looks like something he would adore!

Michele said...

I've always stayed away from bow tie pasta. Only because the middle never seems to completely cook. The little mini ones from Barilla have changed my mind. They cook up perfectly.

Steph said...

I love dishes that are layered and baked in the oven. Mini pastas are the best! I even like to eat baby pastta once in a while.

Jenny said...

Love Love Love everything mini these days! Your dish looks fantastic, can't wait to give it a try!

April said...

This looks delicious!

Everyday Is Delicious said...

I love it! I was thinking of what I could do with bow-tie pasta and chicken today while I was working out and now here you are with this delicious dish. YUM!

Megan said...

I have some tiny pasta I didn't know what to do with. Now I know, Perfect!!!

Megan said...

I have some tiny pasta I didn't know what to do with. Now I know, Perfect!!!

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature your chicken pastina on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/