Thursday, March 31, 2011

Potatoes Au Gratin...with Gruyere'

If you are a parent, you may remember those days when your children SLOWLY phased out of the "terrible two's" into "brain damaged teenagers".  Somehow along the way, did you lose the idealistic views you held dear before you found out your first bundle of joy was on his or her way.  In the spirit of keeping it real, I did; ok, I admit it, I lied like a cheap rug to my youngest so I could use MY computer to blog.  Hello, my name is Katherine and I am a blogger. 

I have a mission.  Yeah, that's it, I have a mission, a duty if you will, to share with all of you the good stuff.  Seriously, the only reason you come here (which I am so VERY grateful), is because GOOD counts not calories or that little aggravation called cholesterol.

Even though I live up in the mountains in East Tennessee, I do subscribe to and even read on occasion Bon Appetit magazine.  Today I am sharing one awesome potato au gratin recipe. 


Ingredients:

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1 large garlic clove, peeled
1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup coarsely grated Gruyère cheese

Directions:
Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Place pie dish on rimmed baking sheet. Combine cream and garlic in small saucepan and bring to simmer over low heat. Cover and remove from heat.



Arrange 1/3 of potato rounds, slightly overlapping, in concentric circles in prepared pie dish; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon thyme and season lightly with salt and pepper. Pour 1/4 cup garlic cream over. Repeat layering 2 more times with remaining potato, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic cream. Pour remaining garlic cream over, then 1/4 cup milk.



Sprinkle cheese over.




Bake gratin until golden on top and potatoes are very tender, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Let potato gratin rest 10 minutes before serving.

So in the end, one day, my children will become responsible adults and bless me with grandchildren and I will knowingly smile as I see them go through..whatever, who cares just pass the potatoes.
P.S.  Someone told me that when you cut the potatoes, the calories leak out.  The world is full of possibilities.

10 comments:

Mr. Bill said...

Nice..thanks.

pam said...

I totally believe you that when you cut the potatoes the calories leak out. I've been waiting for someone to figure that out!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

This is one of my all time favorite potato dishes Katherine. It is totally worth borrowing a computer to share it with us.
Sam

Big Dude said...

I'm so glad you're back and putting up more great dishes.

Lyndas recipe box said...

When it comes to potatoes like this, who cares about calories!
But if they leak out, that great too. :)
Seriously, these look addictive, and I'm also glad you're back!

Debbie said...

What a great potato dish! I could easily devour most of it by myself!!!

Hornsfan said...

Great to see you back Katherine - this looks drool-worthy for sure!

teresa said...

so yummy! i could eat that entire dish!

Chris said...

I just use calorie free potatoes and cheese. Well in my mind, they are!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! Please add it over at Half Hour Meals. Out members will love to try it for certain!

Theresa