Friday, March 18, 2011

Molten Lava Cake

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words.  Why waste time telling you how decadent and good this molten lava cake is.  The picture says it all.   I do have to say this though, quick, easy, YUMMY!

2 sticks butter
4 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch cayenne
Pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
6 large eggs
6 large egg yolks
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Prepare 8 (6-ounce) ramekins with either butter, shortening or cooking spray and sprinkle each with about 1/2 teaspoon sugar.

In a saucepan combine butter, cinnamon, cayenne, nutmeg, and chocolate over low heat until melted and smooth; stirring frequently.  Remove from burner and set aside to cool slightly.

In a large bowl whisk together flour, confectioners' sugar, eggs and yolks, vanilla extract and almond extract until creamy. Add melted chocolate to the batter and whisk together.

Pour into prepared ramekins.

Bake cakes until the top is stiff and cracked and the edges are dark, about 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges of the cake with a small paring knife then invert onto plates while warm.

I've learned there are two kinds of people in this world.   People that adore gooey chocolate and those that won't admit it.  Which one are you?


16 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!
I may have to eat some of this after dinner tonight!
Have a great weekend...

The JR said...

2 sticks of buttah! Got to be good.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Looks great Katherine. I've never eaten one of these but they sound delicious. With 2 sticks of butter they can't be bad.
Sam

vanillasugarblog said...

one of the best cakes ever.
love love love this.
this is like the best thing to have when you come off a diet LOL

Mary said...

Sinful. Just sinful!

Big Dude said...

Oh my

Anonymous said...

Waw!! Who doesn't love a great & tasty lava cake as pretty & tasty as yours??


MMMMMMMMMM,..This is chocolate heaven!!

Claudia said...

Yes, I adore gooey chocolate. Didn't know there was a human who didn't - or wouldn't admit to it. This really is a lot easier than some of the others I've tried - will need to give it a go. Your picture is begging to be made.

Jennifer said...

That looks deliciouso!

Chris said...

Ummm I'm in the third category. I'm just not a big fan of sweets. It looks like a great dessert though.

Kathryn Magendie said...

MMMM! Want. Now.

Heather said...

this looks just killer! i love chocolate!

MaryBeth said...

So true..the picture is all I needed to make my tongue hang and mouth water.

theUngourmet said...

Yum! I've always wanted to bake some sort of lava cake. This looks delicious! I love the cayenne in the mix! ;)

Debbie said...

I have never made these but always wanted to. Looks delicious Katherine and has my name all over it!

Marjie said...

I actually only love chocolate candy, not cakes and such. But I have a house full of people who would finish this in about 3 minutes!