Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Broccoli AuGratin

Oh c'mon don't boo! It's just broccoli, everyone's favorite vegetable right? This is one recipe I am very excited about!
If I could get my youngest homegirl to try it (ok, I had to pay her seven bucks upfront) and she actually liked it but wasn't going to ruin her reputation of eating another bite without payment and I was tapped out...anyway this is the bomb for broccoli. In fact, I bet you could even use this method to put cauliflower over the top. It's all about disguising your vegetables so your family will eat them and more importantly like them!

Broccoli AuGratin -
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a one quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
I used one package of (about 10 - 12 ounces) of frozen broccoli cuts at 98 cents per bag, compared to fresh at $2.49 per pound. If you use frozen broccoli let it sit out in a collendar for about 1 hour. If you use fresh broccoli, wash and cut florets and stems into bite sized pieces.


Heat a skillet over medium-high heat using one tablespoon of canola or vegetable oil. when oil is heated, add one medium size yellow onion diced. Season with Emeril's Essence or salt and black pepper. Saute onions for about 2 minutes and add 2 cloves of minced garlic and saute for another minute.





Now add the broccoli and saute for about three minutes. You don't want to wilt the broccoli, you just want to warm it up a bit. Pour broccoli mixture into prepared casserole dish.




In a medium bowl, mix together one cup of evaporated milk, 1 egg, 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese, and 1 cup of smoked gouda cheese.

Whisk together.
Note: You can substitute romano if you like for the parm. In fact if you don't want to use smoked gouda, you could subtitute gruyere, regular gouda or cheddar. You want a cheese that melts really nice.


Pour milk/cheese mixture over broccoli.




Stir to thoroughly combine.


Melt 1/2 stick of butter over medium heat. Once butter is melted, pour in 1 cup of seasoned Italian bread crumbs. Stir to thoroughly combine.
Spread bread crumb mixture evenly over broccoli and place in preheated 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bread crumb topping is browned and crunchy.

Oh yeah baby, come to Mama!

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

My family loves broccoli, so I am going to try this recipe for sure. Happy broccoli.

Gladys said...

Yummy! I can have this less the bread crumbs.

Debbie said...

Now that is comfort food!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks luscious. We love broccoli so this recipe is a natural for us.

Donna-FFW said...

My kids are actually broccoli fans so this will be on my menu soon. Thanks Katherine!

HEATHER said...

This sounds heavenly!
You wouldn't believe what people in KY call broccoli casserole-broccoli(cooked to death till it's mushy), american cheese or Velveeta, with crushed Ritz crackers on top-GROSS!

Jennifer said...

Will you be my mommy? LOL. I love Au Gratin just about anything and I am going to make this soon! Thanks for sharing!

Coleens Recipes said...

I am a huge broccoli fan and I would eat this for FREE!! lol It looks delicious.

Selba said...

Wow! The broccoli definitely looks so wonderful being prepared like this.

gigi said...

This does look and sound yummy! I think I still like the roasted broccoli the best. It's my favorite.

Heather S-G said...

Well, since I am already a broccoli lover...this is double-delicious to me :D mmmmm....augratin!

Lucy..♥ said...

Katherine.... this so easily could be my meal.... YUMMY!!

Anonymous said...

Broccoli actually IS my favorite veggie in the world! I ran out today, and was SO sad.
I want this augratin! It looks amazing!

Laurie said...

I've actually paid my son to try veggies too! Too funny.

This recipes looks great. I used to eat alot of broccoli, but lately I've kind of forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me to shake it up again.

Anonymous said...

Definitely a great way to get my daughter to eat broccoli! This looks delicious!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Oh wow Katherine,
It looks so good! We all love broccoli around here. I will have to try that one out!

Hope you are having a wonderful summer!

XOXO
Jen

Pam said...

Just look at that golden brown top - it looks amazing!

Penny said...

This sounds and looks fabulous. Not your usual broccoli casserole. Thanks Katherine.

Debbie said...

Looks wonderful Katherine! We all love broccoli here.....The breadcrumb topping just looks to die for!

buffalodick said...

Nicely done! We enjoy broccoli in a cheese sauce- I use either a sharp cheddar, or go with Alfredo.. yours sounds well thought out and delicious!

Anonymous said...

I actually love broccoli, so this looks delicious to me!

Sassy Chica said...

Yummo, I luv brocolli!!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

Sara said...

Yum, this looks great! Broccoli is pretty much the only veggie that my hubby will eat and this sounds like a great way to jazz it up for him.

Dewi said...

Scrumptious brocolli. I bet even Bill Clinton will like this.

Marguerite said...

I LOVE broccoli and eat it almost daily and my kids do too! I know that it's kinda strange for a Cajun, but I acquired this habit when I lived up north. Love this recipe with the smoked gouda, cher! Yummmmmm!

Reeni said...

How delicious this is with Gouda and Parm!! And those buttery bread crumbs - YUMMMMM!! You can't go wrong!

Gaby said...

LOOKS AMAZING!!!! I think this recipe is a must try!

Greg C said...

No come to papa. That looks great. My family wouldn't eat it though so you need to make some for me and send it my way. Please.

valentine said...

yum, i love anything with broccoli and cheese. i especially like the bread crumbs that you added.

stopping by from SIS

The Diva on a Diet said...

My mom used to make a broccoli casserole with blue cheese and a Ritz cracker topping ... it was amazing. You're preaching to the choir with me on this one. So much so that I'm ready to lick the screen. Yum!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Looks great, even if it is broccoli. Anything with cheese sauce is tops for me.
Sam

Marjie said...

We must have been channeling the same veggies last night. I made broccoli, whisked together some milk and cornstarch, stirred it into the cooking broccoli with a touch of cream, then stirred some nice bright yellow cheddar cheese into it. People griped because we ran out of it!

Sherri Murphy said...

Broccoli is one of my favorite veges- gouda is one of my fav cheeses- so I'll be printing this one out!

Katy ~ said...

I love broccoli, it's one of my favs for veggies. With all this terrific luscious cheese, I know I'd be in hog heaven!

The Blonde Duck said...

This makes broccali look good!

pam said...

Oh yeah!

Chris said...

I hate the basic broccoli rice casserole but damn I could eat every bite of this dish!!!

The JR said...

Oooh, looks good.
Ramona