Monday, June 8, 2009

Visiting, Baked Beans and Awards



I'm prejudiced, but I think my brother, John, is a wonderful photographer. A few of you have visited his blog, My Viewfinder, and have left him comments. He doesn't comment on blogs and I don't know why...I think he thinks he's busy. I'm his sister and he rarely comments on this blog, but that's life and I still love him anyway, go figure.



John and his lovely wife Theresa, invited us to his home this past Saturday for some barbecue. He lives on the other side of the Smokies from us, about an hour drive. Between you and me, i would drive at least two hours for his barbecue because it's just that good and slow cooked barbecue is like crack for me.



Dont' be jealous, these are the ribs he was cue-ing. Drool worthy!


Yes, there were leftovers and I was offered some to take home. No, I'm not stupid, I filled up a re-sealable plastic bag!







He also had some chicken on the smoker. YUM!!!


I snagged one of these to take home too.








Ah, the barbecue master in his habitat. I'm thinking we should do this every Saturday.













My contribution was baked beans. These are John's favorite. Now they are Theresa's too. A.J. shoveled down quite a bit too.





Both John and my sister-in-law, Theresa, commented that they hadn't seen this on my blog. They strongly urged me to post this recipe.





Ah-ha! Stalkers! I knew it!





Ok, so here's my version of baked beans. Just so you know, I came home with an empty dish.





Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees.





In a large bowl, mix together, 2 cans of pork and beans, 1/2 onion finely chopped, 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, 1/2 cup molasses, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, 1/2 14 ounce can of crushed pineapple. Pour into a 9x9 baking dish. Top with three strips of crumbled, cooked bacon and 1 small can of french fried onions.



Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.



This is from Michelle from Live, Laugh, Love, Learn Thank you Michelle!






This ward is from Cathy from Accountants Can Cook Thank you so much Cathy!

I'll be around later today commenting.

38 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am first@! Hurray! I love baked beans, mine include ground beef! from my very first manager!

Selba said...

But... I'm jealous for the BBQ!!! Hehehe...

Congrats on your awards :)

MsTypo said...

Good BBQ is a reason for us to move back to the States. *drool*

Donna-FFW said...

These sound wonderful. I love baked beans. Ill have to try them this summer.

Debbie said...

I love a good BBQ! It just spells summer to me. Your baked beans look wonderful. I have been looking for a good recipe to try sometime. I never made homemade baked beans! Congrats on the awards too!

gigi said...

I love John's work. He is wonderful. Who knew he could cook so well, too?

And isn't if funny how one little can of pineapple can just turn a whole dish into something magical? These sound like a winner in my book. Can't wait to try them. Happy Monday and have a great week!

April said...

That's a fantastic lookinig dinner!!!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Ya know I can just smell that smoke down here! Our grill master is on tour so I'm having withdrawl. That is a good recipe for beans, I'll try it!

Sherri Murphy said...

I love a good baked beans recipe. I'll try this one. It is different than others I've tried. I love them all!

Cathy said...

OMG that smoked chicken looks divine! I've always wanted to visit the Smoky Mountain area....must get there someday soon.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your bean recipe sounds terrific. You've made me hungry for barbecue.

Charlotte said...

The fried onions on top is a smart idea. I like that one.

Dewi said...

Completely agree with you, all of this meal especially the bbq ribs are drool worthy.

Unknown said...

What an awesome time we had! The beans were to DIE for!!! There's nothing better to me than great food to share with a great family that I love dearly. I hope we can do this again soon sister-in-law! -T

Chef E said...

Something about a man and his barbecue...they stand strong together! Well, my hubby does not have the skill, but he stands behind mine :O) Sounds like a great time!

Lyndas recipe box said...

Your BBQ is drool-worthy! The ribs and beans are calling to me!

Marjie said...

Looks like a wonderful weekend! Did you do the sensible thing and take I-40 to the other side of the smokies? Once we took US 129 across and it was gawdawful in my 15 passenger Ford van. I swear I could see my taillights coming out of one corner as we went into the next corner. Coming back, I drove the extra hours around to take I-40 (we were in Maryville).

Gladys said...

That looks scrumptious. I love BBQ but unfortunately no pawk for moi. I'll take some chicken though.
Lovely lovely pictures too.

Greg C said...

Nothing beats a good BBQ. I live for that stuff.

theUngourmet said...

I must try to grill ribs sometime!

Looks like a wonderful meal. Especially the beans!

Aggie said...

I love your bbq....cravings!!!

pigpigscorner said...

Everything looks really good! I can't wait for my bbq session!

Lisa said...

Barbecued ribs (my new found favorite) AND chicken! I am jealous! The beans sound good too...

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I've been to your brother's blog and he is an incredibly talented photographer. That BBQ looks fabulous and I really love baked beans. No wonder you came home with an empty dish.
Sam

Kristen said...

What a great BBQ!

Heather S-G said...

Yes, I am definitely jealous that you got to eat those ribs...drool! And your baked beans sound killer, too :D

Anonymous said...

mmm... barbeque looks great and baked beans sound delicious! I'm happy it's finally warm and ready for bargeque too!

Claudia said...

What a grand cookout, Katherine. And the beans look scrumptious - I lvoe the real, slow-cooked beans - nothing else comes close. Comgrats on the award - hooray for you.

Chris said...

There's only one thing you left out of your bean recipe.....pulled pork!!!!

When I smoke a butt and make pulled pork, we always save about a cup of pulled pork. We vac seal it and freeze it. It is AWESOME in baked beans!

Sigh, these pics made me want BBQ but I'm on a 2 week break from it. The weekend of the 20th I am catering a BBQ gig and I don't want to be burnt out on Q when the time comes! :)

Anonymous said...

congrats on your award!
man...I'm missing out on all the BBQ everyone's cranking out this summer...

La Bella Cooks said...

I am so glad BBQ season is here. This whole feast looks amazing!

Joanne said...

I love baked beans but have never gotten around to baking them. I just let my favorite bbq joints do all the work for me ;). Slow-cooked bbq is definitely laced with some kind of narcotic. It's a problem.

pam said...

Hey, I'm probably close enough, I could come for barbecue too!

John Roberts said...

Hey, I comment. Sometimes. Occasionally.

We enjoyed the visit with our kin from the other side of the mountains. Your beans are without peer, Katherine!

Thanks to all of your blogger friends who visited my photo blog. I don't always have time to comment on the blogs I visit, but I do look around when I can. Visiting all of these cooking blogs usually ends in a trip to the kitchen. I think I'll have a couple of leftover ribs right now!

Prudy said...

Yummy! I love pineapple in my baked beans!

Anonymous said...

My grandmother had a similar recipe using cranberry sauce instead of the pineapple. Having that at her house will always be one of my favorite memories.

Congrats on the awards!

Reeni said...

I'd drive two hours for that too! Your beans sound wonderful! I don't have a good recipe for them - definitely will be using yours!

Hornsfan said...

Wow - that's some amazing looking BBQ - I would say it's well wroth the drive.