Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sauce for Green Beans

Have I got a treat for you! It's this sauce! I was thumbing through River Roads Recipes, my old friend, my standard, looking for my favorite no fail hollandaise sauce recipe. Below the hollandaise sauce recipe, I found a recipe labeled "Sauce for Broccoli". In the spirit of "trying" to eat a tad more healthy, I thought it would be fantastic on steamed green beans and it was.

This has a much thinner consistency than hollandaise but the burst of taste is amazing but it is also delicate enough that it does not overpower the wonderful flavor of the green beans. I strongly recommend trying it on your steam green veggies of choice.

Sauce for Green Beans -


2 tablespoons real butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablesppon vinegar ( I used Apple Cider vinegar)
Dash of red pepper

Combine all ingredients except butter in a small sauce pan. Add the butter and heat slowly, stirring occasionally until butter has melted. Pour over steamed veggies. Enjoy!


The sauce gently coated the beans, but the majority of it went to the bottom of the dish.



I took this picture so you could get a closer look at the sauce.


I hope you try and enjoy it as much as I did!

17 comments:

SusanD said...

Thanks Katherine. We're having broccoli tonight and needed something a little extra special. This will definitely do the trick. My hubby likes sauces with tang to them. I'll let you know what he thinks. Blessings, Susan

Pam said...

I just bought some green beans - thanks for a terrific recipe.

Joie de vivre said...

Oooh, it looks wonderful! What a great find!

Marjie said...

I love green beans, and your sauce sounds great! I love Hollandaise, too...

Reeni said...

I'm always looking for ways to spice up my veggies, this looks and sounds delicious! I will give it a try!

Debbie said...

Sounds very good. I will try this next time I make green beans.

Peter M said...

Katherine, this is easy enough to try out...green beans are one of my fave veggies.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I will have to try this soon.

gigi said...

Ooo, I'm trying these right now. Made the Creamy Chicken Divan from my new cookbook tonight. These will be excellent with that! Also making that salad from Monday. Minus the chicken because that's in the Divan. Doesn't that sound great! Thanks my friend!

La Bella Cooks said...

This sounds like the perfect sauce for veggies. I always need a little help in getting myself to eat green beans so I need to give this one a try.

NKP said...

A great little sauce for the veggies!

Tatersmama said...

Have you ever tried browning a bit of garlic, adding the beans and then cooking them (or broccoli) in chicken stock? My guy loves his beans and broccoli this way - and it makes for a nice change. You can add chili flakes too, if you like a little zip.
(I also smash the broccoli once it's cooked)

Lanny said...

I don't think I've ever noticed that recipe before.

RRR should be a staple in every home!

JodieMo said...

Oh I love green beans! I can't wait to try this sauce out. It looks divine!

Cat said...

I made this sauce twice in 2 nights...it is sooo good! Added minced garlic and sauteed before adding the rest of the ingredients. I served it with green beans then brussels sprouts and fried fish. We enjoyed it so much, I wrote about it on my blog. Thank you!!

Unknown said...

This sounds like a great way to make green beans less boring. I'm going to try this tonight. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

This sounds like a great way to make green beans less boring. I'm going to try this tonight. Thanks for sharing!