Sunday, February 10, 2008

Broiled Catfish

On our first Friday of Lent I was racking my brain on what to cook for dinner. My husband was on his way back home from New Orleans. He called me several times while he was making his 600 mile journey home and told me he had his fill of seafood. Great, just what I wanted hear. I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work hoping to see something at the Seafood counter that would inspire me. I knew a shrimp dish was out and cod...gross; I don't even want to go there. The talapia looked dried out. The catfish filets were on sale and looked great so I bought four of them still not knowing what to do with them. When I pulled them out for dinner, here's what happened...



Broiled Catfish - Pre-heat the broiler, yes the broiler. Pat the filets dry on both sides. Brush each filet with extra virgin oilve oil and seaon each with a light coating of garlic powder, onion powder, coarse salt, lemon pepper and parika. Turn them over and do the same thing on the other side. Cut the top side of the filet in a diamond pattern, not all the way through, but about halfway through. This will help the filets to cook faster and evenly under the broiler. Put the filets on a foil lined cookie sheet sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray. Make sure the filets don't touch. Now drizzle each filet with a dry white wine and put them under the broiler for about 6-7 minutes (until the fish is moist and flakey). Remove from oven and drain the pan drippings to a medium size sauce pan. Tent the filets with foil and put them back on the turned off oven to stay warm. Now back to the pan drippings, heat them over medium heat, when the drippings start to bubble, wisk in 2 tablespoons of butter until smooth and silky, now add 1 tablespoon of flour and wish in until smooth and add 2 teaspoons of Frangelico and two green onions thinly sliced. Blend and lower heat to simmer and let cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, plate your fish and sppon your pan sauce over the fish.




No comments: