Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Quick and Easy Comfort Food


<----The Home Girlz
The temperatures are dropping in the mountains and the Home Girlz are demanding "something good". Since it was Monday, I really didn't want to get tied up in the kitchen for hours after working all day. The menu: Pan Seared Ham Steaks, Cajun Cheese Grits, Roasted Asparagus. Sorry no picture of the finished product today, but I will try to start uploading photos with the Daily Menu.

Pan Seared Ham Steaks - your favorite brand of ham steak from the grocery (we usually figure half a steak per person), butter. Preheat a non stick skillet over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and melt. Add ham steak, sear for about two minutes each side.

Cajun Cheese Grits - 2 cups quick cook grits, 2 cups heavy cream, 2 cups water, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon light oil, 1/2 stick buter (cut up), 1/2 pound smoke sausage, 2 green onions, chopped. Using a 2 quart pot, pre heat to medium high and add 1 tablespoon oil and brown sausage. When sausage is browned, remove from pot and set aside. Add water, cream, salt, cayenne, butter, bring to a boil, add sausage and grits lower heat to medium until grits absorb liquid. Add cheese and turn off heat and stir until cheese is melted, then stir in green onions and serve.

Roasted Asparagus - one pack asparagus, extra virgin olive oil, salt, freshly cracked black pepper, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Wash asparagus, drain well, take one spear and hold at each end and bend it until it breaks. Pitch the end and keep the tip on each. Place the asparagus on a foil lined baking sheet (for easy clean-up) sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Drizzle with extra virgin olive olive and toss with your hands to coat each spear. Place in a preheared 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. The asparagus with have a nutty flavor - YUM!

Enjoy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Katherine!!! Love the new blog you've got here! My mouth was watering before I finished the first paragraph!I've been looking for a cheese grits recipe for some time;I think I found it! I've tried several but never found one I liked enough to serve to company. This menu sounds really good to me. I'll plan on it for next week. I wish you much success with your new blog. -T

John Roberts said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I feel like I put on a couple of pounds just reading your first post.