Monday, August 8, 2011

Potato Souffle

By chance last week, I happened to catch Sandra Lee making this dish.  Normally, I don't pay a whole lot of attention, but when she was using Parmesan cheese in this recipe, she got my undivided attention.

Have you ever "souffled"?  Me either, this is my first time.  Thank you for being here to share this souffle experience.  Are you afraid to souffle?  I was, that's why I haven't made one before.  Now I'm a souffling maniac!  One word of caution, timing is critical with this dish.  The moment it comes out of the oven it needs to be served or yes, the horrible will happen, it will deflate a little.  It will still taste amazing, but the show stopping fluff will be a memory.

If you ever want to impress your dinner guests, with eye candy and flavor, plus saying "souffle" is fun  and it sounds so sophisticated.; this is the golden ticket.

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
1 (3.6-ounce) packet instant roasted garlic mashed potatoes, made according to package directions and cooled completely (recommended: Betty Crocker)
4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup cream
1 tablespoon freshly snipped chives
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter bottom and sides of a 1 1/2-quart souffle dish. Add Parmesan to dish and roll dish to coat inside (just like preparing a cake pan with butter and flour); set aside.


In medium bowl, stir to combine cooled potatoes, egg yolks, cream, chives, salt and pepper; set aside.


In another medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Careful not to overbeat.



Stir 1/3 of egg whites into potato mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg whites until just incorporated.




Transfer to prepared souffle dish and bake in preheated oven 60 to 65 minutes, or until puffy and golden brown.


Serve immediately.



Now you've souffled, go forth and show-off to all of your friends and family!

11 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Souffles scare me!

gigi said...

I have NEVER! But I should. You make it look so easy!

Joy Tilton said...

If it wasn't for good cooks like you, I'd never try anything like this! Can't wait to make it...

The JR said...

That sure is a lot easier!

Debbie said...

Never made a souffle but all I can say is YUM!

Becca's Dirt said...

I've never made one either. Imtimidating. You make it sound easy. I'm not sure I like souffle because of the beaten egg white.

Jennifer said...

Wow Sandra Lee making a Souffle? crazy! Using instand mashed potatoes, even crazier! Beautiful looking I wish the ones my husband makes were that easy. I have never tried it myself!

David said...

Katherine, We've never 'souffled' but this sure looks good! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

HEATHER said...

OH MY GOSH-that looks AMAZING!!!

MaryBeth said...

I have made a souffle in my life..they are scary, however i also caught that episode and printed out the recipe to try. Heck if she can do it so can I..

Chris said...

Yum! Look how golden and light it is. Glad we could be there to share your "first" ;)