Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Grilled Honey and Teriyaki Chicken

This is one of Tyler Florence's "no fail" recipes that we have made several times already.  For me, grilling chicken can be a little tricky since we like our chicken evenly cooked inside and out and still moist on the inside.  Brining chicken or pork really adds flavor and keeps the meat moist through the grilling process.

First We're going to make a brine.



We started off with a package of bone-in/skin on thighs and legs, four thighs and five legs.  Combine 2 cups of water, 1 cup brown sugar (both light and dark brown sugar work great, use what you have on hand), 1/2 head of garlic (take a head of garlic and cut in half at the equator), 1 piece of ginger about the size of your index finger peel left on, smashed like a clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons Kosher salt and 6 sprigs of fresh thyme in a large resealable bag and swirl to dissolve the sugar. Add chicken pieces and allow to brine for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.




Make teriyaki glaze: In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine 2 cups teriyaki sauce, 1/4 cup honey, 1 piece of fresh ginger (the same size and smashed like you did for the brine), the other half of the head of garlic, and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, and simmer until rich and slightly reduced.



Remove chicken from brine and pat dry. Discard the brine.




Pre-heat the grill to medium-low.  Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl, drizzle with the 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil and season with freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat and cook on a low-medium grill for 17 to 20 minutes per side until cooked through. Baste with teriyaki glaze for the last 10 to 12 minutes of cooking.





Plate and garnish with sliced scallions, and toasted sesame seeds.  Serve with some mandarin orange slices and fried rice or lo-mein and you won't go out for take-out until next winter!



23 comments:

gigi said...

Gosh, you just make it look so easy!
Easy enough to try!

buffalodick said...

I brine, and I favor dark meat...I like the looks of this!

Big Dude said...

Looks really good and I need to try more Asian flavored meats.

Joanne said...

This is one Tyler recipe that I haven't made! I need to give it a try. And yes brining is key!

The JR said...

I need to give brining a try.

Chris said...

I really like that brine, it packs the flavor in. Those thighs looked perfectly cooked too.

Lea Ann said...

That darn Tyler Florence has some of the best recipes. I too have a favorite grilled chicken recipe that I got from Cathy over at Noble Pig. Don't you love it when you find a great "no-fail" recipe for ornery dishes. I like brining chicken also!

Donna-FFW said...

So so so so trying this.. this summer.. it sounds fantastic, and Ive never gone down south(haha) with Tyler;)

pigpigscorner said...

Simple and delicious!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I agree with the others. You make this so easy, who could resist. We definitely need to eat more dark meat in our family.
Sam

Lyndas recipe box said...

I've bookmarked this one to try; it just looks so good I can't resist! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The chicken looks scrumptious with the teriyaki glaze!

The Blonde Duck said...

You can't go wrong with Tyler Florence!

Reeni said...

I love teriyaki chicken! And I bet the brine made it extra special! Mouth-watering delicious!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Always looking for new ways to make chicken. Sure looks good.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Debbie said...

So perfect for this time of year. Looks delicious too!

Jennifer said...

That looks delish and anything by Tyler, well it will be good!

Marguerite said...

This chicken looks divine, cher! I especially love the glaze! I will have to try it out on my company, tomorrow! Have a great weekend!

vanillasugarblog said...

sorry i've been soooo mia. owning my 1st home is killer time consuming. i need to get used to it.
you know what i love most about these kinds of recipes? and you'll think this is weird, or maybe not since you're a foodie-i love the smell lingering in the house the next day.

Judy said...

It's almost dinner time and you have no idea how hungry you have just made me. Beautiful post.

meleah rebeccah said...

OMG! I want to put that teriyaki glaze on everything!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I would need to give this recipe a try one of these days. I've been looking at teriyaki recipes in the internet but so far none has really satisfied me. And I might add a little twist to this recipe: I'll glaze it with clover creamed honey as well.