Thursday, February 4, 2010

Get Crunked Chicken Legs

While on the never ending quest of coming up with another chicken recipe, I got crunked.  It's a LONG story, but go to Youtube and search New Orleans Saints Crunk and you'll feel the love I'm feeling.  Well, I don’t know about the whole “love” business, but I do know that that this recipe has made the "rotation" at our house.

I have picky eaters and lately a house full of their firends.  Who knew girls had such appetities! I have to cook food that's quick, easy and handy for them to pick up and eat on the go.  A sure hit is always chicken legs!  The blend of seasongs really compliments the true flavor of the chicken.  Besides, when you're feeding a full house of teenagers, large packs of chicken legs are always kind to your wallet.

Oh! Don't forget, they’re totally delicious!






Wash 12 chicken legs and pat dry with a paper towel. In a small bowl, crush together 2 cloves of minced garlic, 4 teaspoons dried rosemary, Kosher salt and a splash of olive oil. Pour this mixture into a shallow dish  and mix together with 3 cups of panko crumbs.  Re-season with salt and pepper to taste.







In another shallow dish, whisk together 2 eggs, 1-1/2 cups of milk and salt and pepper to taste.  In a third shallow dish add 1-1/2 cups of flour seasoned with salt and pepper.  (I added in a little cayenne too.)


One at a time, dredge the chicken legs through the flour, then the egg wash, then the seasoned panko crumbs.  Place the coated chicken legs on a tray lined with parchment paper.  Refrigerate the chicken for 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.



Place chicken on a foil lined baking sheet (spray foil with non-stick cooking spray).  Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and place in a 400 degree oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

 



Crunky or crunchy...they won't last long!



40 comments:

Lyndas recipe box said...

these do look delicious-I've used panko to make chicken strips and love how crisp they stay, much better than regular bread crumbs.
The garlic and rosemary would be wonderful in this coating-Thanks, Katherine!

Christo Gonzales said...

I have to tell you - I am crunked! After much deliberation I am geuxing with the Saints...

SusanD said...

My hubby's not a fan of chicken legs, but I think he'd be all over this w/chicken strips instead. I'm always looking for something different for chicken. Thanks so much for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

doesn't panko cook well!

great looking legs babe ;)

Jane In The Jungle said...

I love the word crunk...heard it in a song yrs ago and it stuck......
Teenagers + food = broke!

I'm dying to know what you're having Sunday???? I'm still searching for the perfect menu!!

The JR said...

I hope the Saints win because they are from the South and we love going to New Orleans so much.

But as far as being a football fan - sorry we don't watch it. Please don't ban me from your site!

Large portions of meat is not only good for a houseful of teenage girls. It works very well for 2 hungry rednecks!!!

Looks great and thanks for sharing.

ann low said...

WOW! This looks so good to eat. I prefer baked than the deep fried and I love chicken legs because meat are always tender.

Big Dude said...

The chicken sounds delicious. We made your smoky mountain shepherds pie (posted on Feb 2) and loved it - definately a keeper recipe.

Bob said...

Awesome. Can you believe I've never used panko? I need to fix that with a quickness.

tavolini said...

My goodness, I have been making the same dishes as you! First chili, now chicken--and we're definitely rooting for the Saints this Sunday :D

Anonymous said...

Delicious....heading over to UTube

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sounds perfect for a bunch of young ones!!!!! (and old ones too)... ha

GO SAINTS...
Hugs,
Betsy

Sook said...

Oh the chicken look way crispy! Yum!

chow and chatter said...

oh this is great and its baked love it

pam said...

When all my daughters were home, it was chicken legs all the time.

La Bella Cooks said...

I love how crispy panko makes everything. These are perfect for a superbowl party so thanks for the inspiration.

buffalodick said...

Chicken looks great! Crunked sounds vaguely suggestive..HeeHeeHee..Bet you a jar of Dudeks the Colts win!

vanillasugarblog said...

girl you can crunk me any old time. very creative!

Pam said...

They wouldn't last long in my house - they look terrific.

Dewi said...

Amazing, I think this will be perfect for the game, no?

The Blonde Duck said...

I was looking for baked chicken to make! Yum!

teresa said...

i want to grab a couple of those myself, i love the panko!

Chris said...

Funky crunky! Those look good.

gigi said...

These would be grea for Sunday night too! Go Saints!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Wow - those are amazing! I wish I had one right now - I'm so hungry and have no idea what to make for dinner!

XOOX
Jen

Julie said...

My son would love these, and I would too!

Chef E said...

You got me giggling on this one post title...I can only imagine you when Sunday gets here, and your menu is posted...Crunk baby, crunked!

Reeni said...

These look excellent! Crispy and juicy and just delicious!

Anonymous said...

OH YEAH! Let's crunk it!

Those look terrific! :)

Geaux Saints!

Anonymous said...

These look so nice & crispy! Go Saints!

Sharon said...

Ha! Best of luck to your team. This looks like a great football snack.

Anonymous said...

Thank for sharing good and useful information. This information is very valuable.

Regards.
Mountain House

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, they look fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a nice healthy "fried" chicken. I can understand why they quickly disappear. What would we do without Panko crumbs?

Go Saints. Who dat.
Sam

Joanne said...

Teenage girls can definitely eat a lot. More than is commonly thought! Especially if they're as active as your girls are. And if the food is as delicious as yours.

Great chicken recipe! I would love to get crunked with these.

NKP said...

Yum, pass me a leg! Love that crunchy goodness!

Debbie said...

That looks so good Katherine and I am always looking for new chicken recipes too! They look so crunchy!

Katy ~ said...

Katharine, this looks amazing. Love the coating on this. Definitely doing this one soon as we eat a lot of chicken here. YUMS up on this.

Live.Love.Eat said...

This looks outrageous! The mixing of the panko and the other stuff just makes a difference. Very nice!!!!!!

Jane In The Jungle said...

CONGRATS!!!! What a great game! I hope you took the day off to celebrate!!