Monday, January 25, 2010

Who Dat Pork Tenderloin

Can you believe the Saints are going to the Super Bowl? If I slept for an hour last night, I slept a lot!  The NFC championship had to be the most exciting game I've ever watched!  The Saints ARE America's team!
This was the best birthday present ever.  Yep, today is my birthday and the New Orleans Saints have given me a lot to celebrate!

Let's start off with "Who Dat Pork Tenderloin" 

I had envisioned grilling this over high heat, but the weather in East Tennessee did not cooperate...it rained and I mean rained all day and we're supposed to get snow tonight and tomorrow.  The tenderloin was cooked on the stove top and came out great...so rain or shine, you can be a Who Dat too and make this!







To make the glaze for the pork tenderloin, heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil (vegetable oil will work just as well) in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 finely chopped shallot and cook until soft. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes and cook for another 30 seconds.


Deglaze the pan with 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar, about 1 minute and then stir in 1/2 cup of clover honey and 1/2 cup soy sauce and cook until just heated through. Remove from heat and season with cracked black pepper, to taste. Transfer to a bowl to allow sauce to cool faster.  Allow to cool to room temperature.






I used one 1-1/2 pork tenderloin.  This would work well on pork chops or chicken too, don't be afraid to think outside of the box.

Heat your grill or you skillet over high heat.  To skillet, add one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and one table spoon of butter.  Once the foamin of the butter subsides, add your seasoned pork tenderloin and sear on each side until well browned.  About 2 minutes per side.  Lower hear to medium-low and baste with glaze until cooked through, about another 7 minutes per side.







Move to a platter and allow to rest for 5 minutes, brush with more of the glaze and serve.





27 comments:

The Diva on a Diet said...

Happy Birthday and Congrats on the Saints win! What a game! I was thinking of you while watching it! :)

You all must be so excited!!!

Meanwhile, this pork tenderloin looks excellent. So happy to know it can be done on the stovetop because now I can try it too. :)

Bob said...

Happy birthday! The pork looks awesome, I definitely need to try it.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

gonna be a lot of fun parties with all that Cajun goodness!

misti said...

Happy birthday! And...

Who dat say dey gonna beat dem saints!

The JR said...

Happy Birthday.

That tenderloin looks great!

Chef E said...

I want a hunk of that!

Happy Birthday Girlie, hope you get some good treatment from friends and family! At least a martini of your choice!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Happy Birthday, Katherine. I hope you have a terrific day and made enough of that gorgeous tenderloin to keep you out of the kitchen tonight. I'm going to have to try this one.

Jessica said...

Happy birthday! And: Who dat! I'm so excited that the 'Aints are heading to the Bowl.

That pork tenderloin looks amazing. I'm always up for a new and better way to cook pork tenderloin -- I am definitely bookmarking this recipe.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Girl you know it GEAUX SAINTS!!! I woke up feeling like I had a hangover and hadn't had a single drop of liquor!! That game slap wore me out.

This pork shore nuff look DElish!

Happy Birthday!! Hope you've had an amazing day.

Christo Gonzales said...

I wasnt to happy with the games outcome but I am glad it gave you a happy birthday!

Lea Ann said...

I was so cheering for those Saints! What a great birthday present. I'll be disappointed if they don't win the big one and I think alot of the Nation will. I think Saints will be an emotional favorite. Hugs.

teresa said...

happy happy birthday! what a fantastic way to celebrate, a gorgeous tenderloin!

MaryBeth said...

Happy Birthday my friend....The pork is fabulous.

Mrs. G. said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! I think this is a dish I can handle. With that dark glaze, it looks delicious.

I'm glad the Saints came through for you.

Jane In The Jungle said...

Girl can you get a better present then the Super Bowl!!!!
WooHoo!!!! Hope it's been a great one....

Dewi said...

Happy birthday Katherine, what a delicious meal to celebrate your happy day.
Cheers,
elra

Betsy Banks Adams said...

WHO DAT, Girlfriend.... I knew you would be a happy camper too... What a game!!!!!

Happy Birthday... Wish you could go to Miami on the 7th to see the Saints win the Super Bowl...

You'll have to check out my blog today. We had lots of flooding yesterday... Not FUN!!!! ANd today--we've had snow flurries. Go Figure!!! ha

Go Saints...
Hugs,
Betsy

Julie said...

I love pork, and I think this tenderloin and I could be very happy together.

meleah rebeccah said...

Happy Birthday and Congrats on the Saints win! What a lovely 'present' for you!

Claudia said...

Happy happy birthday. The pork is simply scrumptious. You will totally understand that a MN person is not hugely happy with the Saints win- although will concede - a very good game!

Debbie said...

Looks delicious Katherine! And a happy birthday to you!!! I watched the game on Sunday with my husband and son and they were thrilled the Saints won! I don't follow football that much but have to admit that the game was great. I will definitely be tuning in to the Superbowl this year!

gigi said...

HOpe your birthday was OUTSTANDING! Just like you are :)

How come no matter what you make it always looks so easy and makes me think I can do it too???
Love it!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! So exciting about the Saints - we are definitely rooting for them to win! Love the pork tenderloin!

Marjie said...

Happy birthday, Katherine! Now you can REALLY enjoy the Super Bowl!

Marguerite said...

Happy Birthday, cher, and what a birthday present it was! Cheers!
Who Dat, We Dat, Geaux Saints! Black and Gold, Superbowl!!! Great recipe, too!

Reeni said...

Happy Belated Birthday Katherine! XO I had to laugh at the comment you left me that said Who Dat? I'm so excited! And I love your tenderloin - totally delicious!

Chris said...

Happy Who Dat Birthday to you!

I love the variety of approaches that pork tenderloin offers and this is a great one.