Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Swedish Meatballs

We were stuck inside Saturday because it was still snowing and cold, cold, cold.  Have I mentioned that we have had a plethora of teenage girls at our home since Thursday afternnon?  It's not my cooking, we have a good hill and a decent amount of snow.  Saturday they all went skiing and we had quiet!

Out of hundreds of channels, there was nothing to watch, except Tyler's Ultimate.  He made Swedish Meatballs.  A.J. said, "Babe, those look good, would you make this for dinner tonight?".  He didn't have to ask twice.  Talk about a sensational meal!  He was still talking about them today.

Here's what you'll need:

4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, minced
1 pound each ground beef and pok (or all beef if you prefer)
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons salt
Few grinds black pepper
2 teaspoons ground allspice
4 pieces white bread, crust removed, torn and soaked in whole milk
Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 to 2 tablespoons black currant jam
1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
1 (12 oz.) package of egg noodles

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Remove the onion to a plate and cool. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel.





In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meats, egg yolks, heavy cream and onion. Add salt, pepper and allspice. Squeeze excess milk from the bread and add it to the bowl. Mix gently with your hands or wooden spoon.





The meatballs were very wet, so the bowl of cold water is very important.  I was worried if the meatballs were going to hold up and they did!  With a bowl of cold water standing by, form meatballs about 1-inch across. Dip your fingers in cold water, from time to time, to keep the meat from sticking to your hands.





Melt the remaining butter in the saute pan and once the foam has subsided add a layer of meatballs. Do not overcrowd the pan. Shake the pan once in awhile, to keep the meatballs round.




Brown all of the meatballs, in batches, removing them to a large oven safe dish when cooked.




Put the dish in the oven for about 20 minutes, being careful not to overcook them.





To make the sauce: Pour off most of the fat from the skillet and return it to the heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and swirl it around to coat the pan. Sprinkle in the flour, and stir with a wooden spoon or whisk to dissolve the flour into the fat. Pour in the chicken stock, and stir to loosen the bits from the bottom of the pan.






Simmer, stirring, until the liquid is reduced and the mixture starts to thicken to a sauce.  While the sauce is simering and thickening, book one 12 oz. package of egg noodles per package directions.







Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Lower the heat and stir in the cream and the black currant jam.






Add the meatballs to the sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly and the meatballs are heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.





To serve, spoon a portion of egg noodles onto a plate then add  couple of meatballs onto each plate and spinkle with chopped parsley.




43 comments:

Debbie said...

That looks so delicious! Black currant jam just sounds so good in there...Katherine you are a cooking genius!!!

April said...

Man, these look so good!! I think you need to start meal planning for me!

gigi said...

My mercy! Now tell me, did you have cream and black currant jam in your house or did you have to go to the store in the snow and cold?
Those really do look good enough to keep talking about and licking you lips over :)

vanillasugarblog said...

these are so good with morning scrambled eggs. I say this because I know you would eat that way too. Love this girl!

pam said...

Perfect, perfect, perfect! I have been craving Swedish meatballs! And I'm not able to take a trip to IKEA anytime soon :)

Dewi said...

Mouth watering meat ball Catherine! The only Swedish meatball I've heard is the from IKEA. I know, I am so left behind, huh?

Donna-FFW said...

What a delicious dish!! Tyler is so just hotly awesome isnt he? How nice of you to make a meal upon request. Lucky hubby! It truly looks wonderful and I may have to try this very very soon!!

Bob said...

Oh man, I want those right now! I hadn't had Swedish meatballs until just a couple years ago and I've been dying to make them ever since.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

They look great, but when I was reading the recipe, I kept hearing the voice of the swedish chef from the Muppets

Jessica said...

Hmmm, my memories of Swedish meatballs are unfortunately from the hot lunch line when I was in school and they're not good. Yours, however, look so amazingly tasty, my mouth is actually watering. I'm going to try these soon.
I'm tired of being cold, too!

The JR said...

I think you've made up my mind to make Swedish Meatballs for supper tonight!

Chef E said...

Just throw a few my way, my mouth is open and ready :) I have never met a meatball I did not like! Funny my son and I just made them Saturday, but another way...

La Bella Cooks said...

I am drooling! Wow, these look so savory and I can imagine my hubby would be talking about these as well. I love the idea of the jam in there too.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Add me to the list of those drooling! I can't think of a better, more comforting meal for a cold, snowy night. Swedish Meatballs are one of my most favorite things and this recipe looks magnificent. Email the leftovers when you get a chance! LOL

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Oh my gosh - those look so good Katherine!!!! I need to make those asap! I have some hamburger sitting in my fridge...

XOXO
Jen

Chris said...

I can see why he was still talking about them....they look delightful and I can only imagine how good the house smelled while you were cooking them.

The Blonde Duck said...

Must...have....meatballs...Ode to meatballs and how I love thee....

Anonymous said...

ohmygawd these look soooo good. Saving this recipe.

Fresh Local and Best said...

Ooooo! This looks so comforting and hearty!

buffalodick said...

That was one gourmet meatball! If you are ever pinched for time, and have to make meatballs, I came up with a Danish(dill flavored!) one that has less than five ingredients, and is in a couple of local cook books. The ingredients are so simple, I wouldn't let them use my name!

teresa said...

this looks fantastically filling and comforting for a cold day!

Marjie said...

We often complain that there's nothing to watch on those zillions of channels! And I have a yard full of 9 to 13 year olds sledding! The cold brings them out of the woodwork! Love those meatballs, BTW! I make a similar sauce for beef cubes over egg noodles, sometimes.

Joanne said...

I have heard really good things about this Tyler recipe! Looks fantastic.

Big Dude said...

Since I can be to Seymour in about 45 minutes, I need to give you my phone number so you can call me to run up for these meals - I love Swedish meatballs.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I haven't had Swedish meatballs in years. What a great idea. Hope you're beginning to thaw out up there.
Sam

jenn said...

It's so funny, I do that a lot...see a recipe on FOOD TV and make it that night!

It reminds me of something my Mom made growing up, it looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Those look fantastic! And the fact that the recipe is from Tyler...well that's even better ;)

BOSSY said...

Bossy doesn't know which is more yummy: those meatballs, or Tyler.

Wobegon Cottage said...

Thank you for the recipe..I was going to go to the food network site but haven't had time. I saw the end of the show because it is very cold here (minnesota) going outside in January or February is on a need basis only. I have been enjoying your blog. thanks for letting me visit.

Velva said...

This has been such an insane Winter!!!

Those Swedish meatballs served up with the noodles is a perfect Winter comfort food-That rocks!

Katy ~ said...

I could just weep. These look so good and all I can do as look at your gorgeous photos and dream that I have them right NOW!!! OMGosh these look GOOD!!!

Gladys said...

Katherine did you sing the Swedish Chef song as you made these? :)

They look wonderful!

Dinga dinga dorf dorf dorf...

Michelle said...

Looks wonderful- I'll have to print this recipe for my husband as he is the resident cook.

Can I make a suggestion on your blog? If you open up the comment settings to name and url- bloggers who have self hosted blogs not on blog-spot can comment on here. I can only comment because I have an old google blogger account.

I can be found here
One of a Kind Wisconsin.

Claudia said...

Oh how scrumptious are those. Perfect for a winter day. Perfect for MN. You can come here anytime and cook.

Selba said...

So mouth-watering! I will try to make this kind of meatballs.

Kristen said...

I would love to try these - what a perfect meal for a cold day!

tamilyn said...

I had this on in the background the other day and made a note to go look it up on the FN site, but now I don't have to!!

We actually hit 30 here today-freaking heat wave I tell ya :)

Julie said...

Wow...those really do look delicious. I love those wacky Swedes!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'll be making swedish meatballs this weekend too, already got the lingonberries, our favorite accompaniment!

Anonymous said...

I love Tyler and my Grandmother and Mother used to make the best Swedish meatballs. I'm in nostalgia land reading your post.

NKP said...

I don't think I have ever had Swedish meatballs before. They look so yummy, and you gotta love Tyler!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Fabulous, Katherine... I have had something similar to this before--and it truly is amazing!!!! I think I'll make it again since it's been years since I made it...Thanks!!!!

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I felt HORRIBLE about being so upset and mad about a sports program ---especially after hearing about what has happened in Haiti... THAT is what is really important, not any stupid sports team.

Hugs,
Betsy

Penny said...

I have been craving meatballs lately. This sounds like the perfect recipe to satisfy my taste buds.