Monday, January 18, 2010

Loaded Baked Potato Salad

I was almost too embarrassed to post this potato dish because it has no regard whatsoever for healthy eating.  As you can see I didn't stay "too embarrassed" for long.  You see, I had to share this helping of deliciousness with you. 

This is an experiment I have been working on and tormenting my family with once or twice.  This recipe still needs a final tweak, but it's time to share.

This is great if you're looking for a different kind of potato salad; something that fits into the frigid winter months so to speak.

It's January, it's cold outside, I can't go anywhere and I'm broke and bored...let me know what you think!




Wash and cube 6 russett potatoes.  Cooking in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes and drain.  While potatoes are cooking, cook 5 slices of hickory smoked bacon, drain and crumble.  Slice two scallions and reserve.



Dice up on medium package of Velveeta.  Ok don't groan, I needed something that would melt evenly and smoothly. I've tried grated cheddar and it wasn't happening.  I think next time I will use a jar of Cheez Whiz.  The Velveeta took longer to melt than I anticipated.



Place a few cubes in the bottom of a large bowl.





Pour the drained potaotes into the bowl while they are still steaming and season generously with Lawry's Season Salt and black pepper.



Add two healthy dollips of  sour cream.  You'll be proud, I used "light" sour cream.  Also add two ounces of light evaporated milk, 1 heaping tablespoon of mayo, 2 tablespoons butter, half of the scallions and half of the crumbled bacon.  Fold until thoroughly combined.





Garanish with the remaining crumbled bacon and scallions.  Refrigerate.

Tastes just like a stuffed baked potato!  The girls said this is the only potato salad they eat.



39 comments:

Bob said...

Heh, a periodic disregard for healthy eating is good for you. That looks amazing, I'm definitely going to try it.

Becca's Dirt said...

MMMMm sounds delish. I don't think it's unhealthy - afterall you used light didn't you. OK so it may be a little fattening. I love the recipe and will give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Sook said...

Ooh this looks delicious! I love adding green onions on top of baked potatoes. So yummy!

tamilyn said...

I don't like tater salad, but this looks pretty darn scrumptious!

And yay you going to New York!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sure looks good to me. I'll bet it is delicious.

Big Dude said...

We made one of these salads a week or so ago from a Recipezar recipe and I loved it. Look forward to trying yours soon, as they do taste like loaded baked potatoes. If it starts bothering you too much to post these fattening foods, send them to me to post for you, as I'm obviously not incumbered :)

Julie said...

Healthy shmealthy...pass the potato salad! Yum :)

pam said...

Loaded. Baked. Potato. Salad. Genius.

Katy ~ said...

Oh my! This sounds GOOD GOOD GOOD!! Wouldn't have gone perfectly with the dinner I made last night!!

Marjie said...

Pshaw! Who needs healthy anyway? It's January, for pity's sake! We need good and comforting, not healthy! And Velveeta is officially a real cheese. Remember my post a while back about what beers go with various cheeses, including either Velveeta or Cheese Whiz? So, there, good food! Must be healthy!

"Guppy" Honaker said...

Oh man, I love anything with potatos in it. This salad is a bit of heaven, isn't it?

Keep up the good work on you blog. - David

Aloe Vera 101
Holistic Health Info.
Healthy Recipes

meleah rebeccah said...

WOW! That looks AMAZING!!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of such a thing and I think this sounds WONderful. I agree, nothing melts better than Velveeta or Whiz. Thanks so much for this recpe. Can't wait to serve it.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh My Heart.... I would absolutely love that dish, Katherine... I'm sure it would cling to my hips---but OH --how delicious it would be.

Thanks!!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

The Blonde Duck said...

I would definately eat that salad. The whole bowl. Alone.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This potato salad looks so rich and delicious!

teresa said...

excuse me as i get a napkin to wipe the drool off my chin, this looks crazy good!

Sherri Murphy said...

NEVER be embarrassed to share something so delicious! WOW!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Ohhhhh that looks so good.... I can cook just about everything but potato salad has always been my nemisis!! And the fmaily LOVES it!!

Anonymous said...

I'm drooling at the thought of this potato salad, especially love the hickory smoked bacon addition here!

Donna-FFW said...

Youve got to be kidding me.. this sounds outrageously delicious!! I love the thought of this. I am a fattening food fan..everything in moderation, right?

Debbie said...

Oh does that ever look good. I will have to try this. Irresistable Katherine!!!!!

Claudia said...

The best potatoes - how can you not love this? It is winter. It is tough times. These comfort for not a lot of dough and evoke happy smiles and satisfaction. Thanks for posting it.

buffalodick said...

Sounds real good to me! I actually have some baked potatoes that might work on just fine!

Pam said...

This looks like heaven! I love, love, love this recipe. Bookmarked.

The Blonde Duck said...

No pie week, just pie day! :)

Debbie said...

If we take all the yummy out of life, what would be the point? Looks good to me!

Jennifer said...

Girl that looks amazing, I am a tater loving gal!

Barbara said...

OMG. That looks fabulous. I am not going to list this under "healthy dishes", I'm going to list this under "try immediately."

NKP said...

Oh you naughty lady!
You are a temptress. What a delicious looking "salad"!
So naughty and so good. Perfect with steak and beer.

GHickman said...

My Gawd Kathy, that looks divine. Pass the Hot Potato Salad pleazzzzzz. With Mardi Gras only a few weeks away, that sure would go good with some Popeye's Chicken and a beer.

Reeni said...

This looks incredible Katherine! So decadent. I think it is my new favorite potato salad!

Barbara Bakes said...

My kids would love this version of potato salad. I don't think you can go wrong with potatoes, cheese and bacon!

Marguerite said...

Omg, I could dive right in to a bowl of this fabulous looking potato salad! I will make this tomorrow, to go with my shrimp stew. Divine, cher!

Anonymous said...

This is definitely NOT what i needed to see right now...been on a diet the whole week...and never felt tempted but these beautiful carbs anre on the verge of breaking me!!!!!NOOOOOO.....

Chris said...

I love it. It reminds me of a "exploded loaded baked potato casserole" I came up with:)

I don't mind it being "less than healthy". I'll work it off. You are awesome, as always.

The JR said...

I'm glad you disregarded it, the potato salad looks great.

Teresa said...

That looks (and sounds) amazing! I love a good baked potato. Yum!

Unknown said...

i think its an amazing recipe.. i loved it.. and my children went mad running around the kitchen when i was making this.. thank you soo much..