Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Easy Brees-y Pasta

Today's offering is a combination of fantastic simple flavors.  This pasta dish is more of a method more than it's a recipe.  It has base ingredients or base sauce and you can pick and choose which "extras" to add to suit your taste.  Talk about a a keeper! 

Also Easy Brees-y Pasta is a tasty side for your Super Bowl Party; believe me people will come back for more!





Preheat over medium-low heat a large high sided skillet or pot and saute 4 cloves of thinly sliced garlic for about one minute.





Add 2 pints of cherry tomatoes and drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the tomatoes and season with kosher salt and black pepper. Leave the temperature on medium-low and slowly roast the tomatoes and garlic for about 40 to 45 minutes. 




You will see juices coming from the tomatoes into the pan.





While the tomatoes are roasting, heat another large pot over med-high heat and add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Once the oil is heated, add 1 lb. of sweet Italian sausage to the pot and brown.  Once the sausage has browned, remove from pot, drain and reserve.




To the same pot, add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil and three baby zucchinis, peeled and sliced and 4 ounces of sliced cremini mushrooms.  Saute until the zucchini pieces start to brown around the edges and the mushroom slices are golden brown.  This should take about 5 minutes.

Heat the water to boil 1 lb. of your favorite short pasta.




Add the sausage back to the pan and lower heat to simmer.




Once the tomatoes are roasted, put about a half dozen tomatoes on the side and reserve for later.






Pour the remaining tomatoes and garlic into a heat safe container and use an immersion blender to puree. 





Pour the "sauce" back into the pot it came from.  Season the sauce with a teaspoon of sugar.






 Add the sausage and veggies to the pan with the sauce. 




Add in 1/2 cup of chicken stock or broth to thin out the sauce a bit.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Heat through to a low simmer.




Toss the cooked and drained pasta into the pot and thoroughly combine with the meat and vaggies.




Garnish with the reserved tomatoes, basil and Parmesan.



33 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I was going to say NO to this one --until you pureed them... I love tomato sauce and everything tomato EXCEPT those cherry tomatoes. But---I could eat that dish and love it --as long as I don't eat one of those little cherry tomatoes on the top... ha (Silly ME!)

Hugs,
Betsy
P.S. I do love fresh Tennessee Summer tomatoes---but don't eat tomatoes the rest of the year (unless they are canned or in sauces, etc.)...

Big Dude said...

That looks delicious and if we can get some tasty maters, we'll give it a try soon, maybe for the big game as you suggest.

Bob said...

Great method! Looks fantastic, love the zucchini in there.

April said...

Every time I come and see what you have made, I am starving!! This looks yummy!

Did you see the snow today? and they are saying that we are getting a snow storm this weekend!

Sook said...

Oh what a great tip! Love how you purred the ingredients. I will have to try it.

pam said...

You're right, this is full of fabulous ideas!!!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Sorry Betsy, but i love cherry tomatoes... this is right up my alley

and Go Saints

Anonymous said...

Looks fabulous!!!

Pam said...

Roasting tomatoes makes them so sweet and delicious - this pasta looks delicious.

Fresh Local and Best said...

I adore roasted tomatoes! This looks like a good and hearty dinner!

teresa said...

oh i can only imagine how good this is! fantastic recipe, i love that tomato sauce, mmmm.

Barbara said...

Love the name and love the way you presented it. As I scrolled down the list, I was talking to myself: garlic, yes. Tomatoes, yes! Sausage, YES, and so on down the post.
Yummy!

buffalodick said...

You sure had your cookin' pantyhose on for this one! You make it, and I will eat 2 helpings!

Claudia said...

Slow roasted tomatoes in garlic? Sausage? Zucchini and mushrooms and then pasta? Yes! Do you deliver?

tavolini said...

simple and fantastic! Well done, Katherine. I like the odd shaped pasta, too :)

bcsmithereens said...

Made this for dinner tonight! A complete hit! Thanks so much... a homemade meal from scratch in less than an hour! Woohoo!

Reeni said...

How absolutely delicious! It is just loaded with goodies and all sorts of flavors. So hearty and comforting!

Julie said...

Looks like a wonderful pasta dish!

Anonymous said...

Awesome sauce and the pasta looks wonderful!

Joyful said...

Looks delicious. I especially love the cherry tomatoes :-)

Dewi said...

That look delicious. A bowl of pasta like this will surely make my day.

La Bella Cooks said...

I love the roasted tomatoes and how you pureed them. Those would be a perfect addition to any pasta!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Love your title and I love the looks of this dish. I'm often left with cherry or grape tomatoes that need to be used ... and this looks like the perfect way to do so. Yum!

NKP said...

Yum, simple and delicious.
Boy, Americans sure love the Super Bowl!

Marjie said...

Easy Brees-y, huh? Well, there was never any doubt who you'd be rooting for in the super bowl. I'm pleased that the two teams that made it really were the best performers this season. Just don't tell my guys I understand this much; I like to be the bubblehead watching the game! And I want this pasta!

The JR said...

I like easy recipes. Looks good.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

You're right. This would be a great Super Bowl party and easy too. Bet you're going to have a bash this year with the Saints playing. Even the President is rooting for them. At least that's what he told Diane Sawyer.
Sam

meleah rebeccah said...

That looks DELICIOUS! And, I was just looking for something new to cook tonight. I just my try this one!

Debbie said...

Delicious!!!! I adore pasta dishes and this one is a winner. It looks so good! Great combo Katherine!

Chris said...

I'd love some of that tonight! So chilly out and that speaks "comfort" to me.

Joanne said...

This is awesome. I love how you take fresh tomatoes and make your own sauce.

Pasta is my ultimate comfort food. Especially with sausage!

Debbie said...

Yum!!!!! Why do I read your blog late at night. I always get the munchies:)

Katy ~ said...

I don't think that tomato sauce gets much better than this. It looks FAB!