Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cajun Pork Alfredo

It's Twelfth Night, Three King's Day and the beginning of the Mardi Gras Season!  Laissez le bon temps rouler! 

I'm working my way through the Newman's Own products and settled on the Alfredo Sauce in a jar.  Fettucine Alfredo has not been featured on this blog yet, but now I have a goal and will feature it soon.




Cajun Pork Alfredo turned out to be a quick, tasty and handy weeknight meal.  There is nothing healthy about it.  If you made a New Year's resolution to lose weight, you better turn around right now.  This is not for the weak.





Did I show you this yet?  My Mama sent it to me in a Christmas care package.  The homegirlz took it literally. 





This was my first time trying a jarred Alfredo sauce.  This sauce was creamy, light in texture but had the jar taste.  I didn't care for it and knew it needed to be "doctored" up a bit.





I used boneless center cut pork schops but bone-in chops, boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs would work equally as well.  Liberally season with your favorite Cajun seasoning.  Massage the seasoning into the meat and set aside.

Heat water to cook 1/2 lb. of your favorite pasta.





Dice 3 sun dried tomatoes.



Heat 3 tablespoons of butter over low heat.  Once butter is melted, add in 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and the diced sun  dried tomatoes.




Add in juice from half of one lemon, about one tablespoon.



Reduce heat to low and allow flavors to infuse for about 10 minutes.




This is a terrible picture....add in the jar of Alfredo sauce.  Stir to combine and keep the heat on low. 



Heat a skillet to one notch below high heat, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and when oil begins to ripple, right before it starts smoking, carefully add the pork chops.  Cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side.





The sauce still needed something, so I added 1/3 cup of grated Peccorino Romano and 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.

Once the pasta is cooked and drained, return the pasta to the pot and pour the Alfredo sauce over the pasta and toss to combine.



Turn the chops and cook for another 3 to four minutes.




Nest the pasta in a bowl with the pork chop on top, a side of garlic bread and garnish with sliced green onions.

That's how this Cajun made jar sauce taste fresh...I'm just sayin'.



34 comments:

Plain Chicken said...

That looks so good. I could use a bowl for lunch today!

theUngourmet said...

I just love Newman's stuff. Great looking recipe! Happy New Year!

April said...

This does look delish!!

The JR said...

I always get a kick outta seeing that "slap ya mama" seasoning!

The Blonde Duck said...

You can't go wrong with alfredo and slap your mama.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

well...that looks so good I wanna slap my mama...

I am collecting great cajun recipes for my upcoming mardi gras party!

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Yum! I never ever make pork chops. For some reason I just don't think of them. I'm going to give this a try next week!

buffalodick said...

I use jar Alfredo sauce, but add grated Parmesan and grated Romano to thicken and enrich it..

Big Dude said...

The dish looks great and I'm with you on the jar taste. Seems like many of the salad dressings and sauces have this twang, I call it, that I have difficulty with. I like Newman's stuff better than most though. Keep warm - we've got a nice fire going down in Greenback.

SusanD said...

I'm gonna do the chicken version. Let the good times roll! Blessings, SusanD

HEATHER said...

OH dear LAWDY!! That looks awesome!!

Julie said...

Very nice job indeed. I haven't tried the alfredo yet...I'm a little afraid of jarred cheesy sauces. I'll have to try doctoring it up too.

tamilyn said...

My kids and hubby love alfredo, but it is a little too rich for me and doesn't sit well. I know Dude would love this with the pork chops!

Barbara said...

Oh my! I almost turned around, but couldn't resist at least READING. I swear, just reading! And copying, of course. Delish!
I love NOLA and anything that has to do with it. Food, fun, drinks et al!
And I always get such a chuckle out of Slap Ya Mama.

Joanne said...

I love Newman's Own tomato sauces...especially the roasted garlic. I've never found an alfredo sauce in a jar that I like though. You must have to add a lot of crap to cream to get it to be shelf stable...and so I am quite wary of it. I'd rather just make my own. This dish looks awesome though! I've never thought to put pork in alfredo sauce. And I love the cajun twist!

Marjie said...

My oldest son's girlfriend loves chicken alfredo, so sometimes he'll buy a jar for her. Wait till he brings her home and I cook it for real for her! I get your "jar taste" complaint. that Slap Your Mama is one funny label!

Dewi said...

I love anything Cajun style, and your pork is pretty unique.

Claudia said...

Scrumptious pork - do love Cajun. I also love how you all go from Epiphany to Mardi Gras. You know how to live!

Anonymous said...

This really looks good Katherine. Isn't it funny that the only odd photo was of the sauce coming out of the jar - it was glowing! All kidding aside, those jar sauces aren't horrible, but I agree with you, they always need a little "doctoring" Thanks for the post. Love that Slap Ya Mama!

chow and chatter said...

this looks great very creative

Jennifer said...

Girl that looks delish, now where can I but those SIN dried tomatoes, I believe they are right up my alley! :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

You have the luckiest family in the world, Pam. Getting to 'sample' all of your creations has to be unbelievably fabulous!!!!! Wish it were me!!!

The Cajun Pork Alfredo sounds wonderful... Makes me hungry!!!!

Stay warm --and enjoy the upcoming snow!!!!????

Hugs,
Betsy

Donna-FFW said...

I love the way you doctor up things, this dish sounds lovely. You are so creative!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sorry Katherine.... I called you PAM... Don't know why. Guess this 8 degree weather is getting to my brain...

I thought about it AFTER I posted. Well--duh....

Sorry about that.
Hugs,
Nutcase here

Pam said...

Must wipe drool off of keyboard. This looks utterly fantastic Katherine.

Anonymous said...

Of course you've got to give it that Cajun kick...trust you to elevate it to a spice level! Yum~

Mary Bergfeld said...

Katherine, these really look wonderful. The Newmans were lucky you latched onto their products. Everything you do is unique and you make their products look good.

gigi said...

I like a lot of Newman's Own products but haven't ever tried the Alfredo Sauce.
You did a great job in jazzing up this recipe, yum!

NKP said...

Great doctoring! Love the hot sauce and the SIN-dried tomatoes. Funniest typo of the day!
xo

Anonymous said...

The pork sounds fabulous with Alfredo sauce, awesome recipe!

John Roberts said...

Mom sent me some "Slap Ya Sistah!" in my care package. I can't wait to try it out!

Chris said...

Calories or not, I'm ready for some of this dish!

Katy ~ said...

Calories be damned. This looks FAB!!

Teresa said...

Yum! I don't know why I never think to make pork. Gonna have to try this one. Sounds delicious!