Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Asiago, Sausage & Apple Stuffing


Growing up in Southeast Louisiana, you either ate Oyster Dressing or Cornbread Dressing on Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.  My Mom is a N'Awlins girl and loves her Oyster Dressing, but she loved my Dad more and accommodated his Southern Gentleman wishes of cornbread dressing.

As a kid, I didn't much care for my Mom's cornbread dressing.  I tolerated it because in those days it was politically correct to eat what was put in front of you and to obey your parents.  As an adult, I love, love, love Oyster Dressing.  (I can't believe I haven't posted my Oyster Dressing recipe yet!)  It's not easy to get reasonably priced, good, salty oysters in my neck of the woods.  I was definitely in panic mode last Wendnesday around noonish as I walked up and down the aisles of the grocery store picking up a few last minute items and trying to figure out what kind of dressing/stuffing to make.

I even picked up a box of stuffing mix...hey, don't judge...stuffing was going to be on the table one way or another.

Then, as I walked through the bakery section, I saw it!  A loaf of Asiago Cheese bread!  Seriously, Asiago cheese...does it get much better?  Oh yeah, oysters...but this was an incredible find and it was Game On!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.




Cut one loaf of Asiago cheese bread into generous cubes.  Place on a baking sheet and into a preheated 350 degree oven for 7 minutes.  Just enough to lightly toast the bread so it will absorb the liquid but no get too mushy later.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 5 slices of chopped smoky bacon and 1 pound of chopped smoked pork sausage.  Saute until crisp and brown, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon and sausage to a large bowl.  Remove all but one tablespoon of fat from the skillet and add 2 tablespoons of butter.





Add 1 large onion chopped, 2 celery stalked chopped, 1 Granny Smith apple cubed and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Saute over medium heat for about 10 minutes.






Gently fold in 1/4 cup of chopped parsely. Season with salt and pepper to taste.







Add the bacon and sasage back into the skillet along with 3/4stick of butter and 1/4 cup of chopped scallions.  Season with salt and pepper again.  Stir to thoroughly combine.




Place the bread into the glass baking dish and add the pork/seasoning mixture.  Gentley fold until completely combined.  Pour one cup of chicken brother over the top.  At this point you can cover and refrigerate overnight.  If you store this overnight, remove from the refrigerator the next day and let stand at room temperatire for one hour.  Toss again and add 1/2 to 1 more cup of chicken broth if necessary.




Add 3/4 cup of shredded Asiago cheese over the top of dish.  Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down, and bake until the stuffing is heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the top is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.

Stuffing is a personal thing and personally, this is incredible!




P.S.  My neice sent this text to me and I would like you all to repeat this with me....

I pledge alligence to the Saints and to the great City of New Orleans and the the Super Bowl for which we will win.  One city, below sea level with Mardi Gras and alcohol for all!  WHO DAT! WE DAT!

28 comments:

buffalodick said...

I'd love some oyster stuffing, but I'd be eating it by myself here.. Sage sausage is the standard, of which I may not deviate from! Asiago bread sounds great for stuffing..

Pam said...

What a great stuffing! I never thought to add apples to it.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This looks like a great recipe for stuffing. Your niece's text message is too cute!

Claudia said...

Oh am loving this idea and will do for a dinner during the holidays. Asiago bread! Perfect! Loving the text! You must have been grinning ear to ear.

Jennifer said...

Ohh girl what a great idea! I would love to try oyster dressing sometime, I never have!

Cathy said...

It's all about the stuffing...I could care less if the turkey ever hits the table.

Dewi said...

Delicious stuffing. I really like using sausages as well.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Mmm, Katherine, this stuffing looks SO good! What could be better than Asiago and bacon?! :)

I'm giggling at your niece's test ... but I'm a Cowboy fan - sssh, don't tell! ;)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a terric stuffing. The addition of apples is inspired.

Marjie said...

Looks like a great stuffing. And, hey, you can add "stuff" to the boxes to make it work. Especially on an average Tuesday, for example.

That was one helluvagame last night. My little guy loves the Patriots for some reason, so he was disappointed. But Ya Gotta admire Drew Brees there.

Heidi said...

I haven't learned to appreciate dressing yet! Everyone says my grandma makes the worlds best, but I just can't eat it because of the texture :( I think every family has their own favorite version.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

after last night's game, you all must be in hog heaven! I'll jump on the bandwagon, and since KC is not likely to do anything (ever), I am now a Saint's fan....

And your DRESSING looks great, so glad not stuffing ;)

Rate This Recipe! said...

This stuffing looks yummy!

Lucy..♥ said...

Thumbs UP!!! Now I've gotta look for that bread!

BTW, that info you requested will be coming your way in a few days ;-)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sounds great, Katherine... I never would have thought of putting apple in that dressing... Interesting...

I love BREAD dressing --and don't like cornbread. SO--this one would be a fav.

Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

The stuffing sounds amazing with asiago bread and cheese and apples, such a great combination of flavors!

Heather S-G said...

Oh, this looks awesome. Just the bread alone...I'd have a hard time getting into the pan! And can you believe I've never tried Oyster dressing! It's on my list.

Katy ~ said...

We've only had bread stuffing, that's the tradition. I would love to try a cornbread stuffing some day just to say I had it. Asiago bread is an inspiration. Love it!

MaryBeth said...

What a fabulous sounding stuffing, this looks wonderful and would be a great change of pace.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

We make a different stuffing. Recipe from my mom. This one looks so good with the apples and sausages.

Reeni said...

I'm so glad you posted this! Just hearing the name of it made me salivate! I love all the flavors together!

Marguerite said...

Merci beaucoup for the great stuffing recipe, cher! It looks scrumptious and I will be making it soon! Love the Asiago and apples! As always, great photos, too!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Oh wow - that looks amazing. I made a sausage stuffing this year and I thought it was yummy, but yours looks even better. I am going to have to file that away - maybe for Christmas Eve dinner!

XOOX
Jen

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Your stuffing looks wonderful. We rarely see oysters here either. I've seen Asiago artisan bread at Ingles and it's good, but Fresh Market has it beat because they include sun-dried tomatoes. Worth the drive to Chattanooga for us.

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. What a cute prayer.

I read that many many years ago (before zip codes and zones) you could address a letter to someone in New Orleans by just including their name and under it put: NOLA and it was guaranteed to get there. The post office knew what it stood for, just like they know NYC.
Sam

Lea Ann said...

This looks really good. I have to admit that I buy one box of Stove Top just for the spice/flavor packet. It's a good combo. AND the Saints are just kickin bootie this year. Fun to see. I hope they go all the way undefeated.

The JR said...

We love oyster dressing too.

This one sounds great also. Cheese, sausage and apples are a great combo.

pam said...

I discovered a Giada recipe last year that used parmesan cheese. It was my first stuffing made with cheese, and I will never go back to ordinary stuffing!

pigpigscorner said...

This stuffing looks amazing, love the apples!