Friday, August 28, 2009

Chicken Satay

Whoever "They" are, "They" say you shouldn't try out a recipe for the first time on guests.

Normally, I am a very rules oriented person, but when it comes to the creating in the kitchen and entertaining, I lean more towards coloring outside of the lines quite a bit, ok a lot.


Since everything that was being served to our guests was going to be homemade and I was being held to a criteria that I had committed to, when I came across this recipe at Eating Well dot com and I thought it would be perfect for our little get together last Saturday. Yes, sometimes at the Cafe, we get a little health conscious. This came together quickly and I knew the peanut/coconut flavor combined with the the grilled chicken would be marvelous.


The morning after A.J. opened the fridge looking for leftover Chicken Satay for breakfast, (yes he colors outside of the lines too) and was disappointed to find none. He settled for the real breakfast of champions, salsa and chips.


That's just how good this turned out!


Chicken Satay (adapted from EatingWell.com)

6 tablespoons lime juice
6 tablespoons canola oil
4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 lbs. chicken tenders
Spicy Peanut Sauce (recipe follows)




To marinate chicken: Whisk lime juice, oil, soy sauce, fish sauce and crushed red pepper in a shallow baking dish until combined.






Add chicken and turn to coat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Preheat grill to high.





Thread each chicken tender onto a wooden skewer. Grill the chicken skewers until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle. Serve warm or chilled with Spicy Peanut Sauce for dipping.


Spicy Peanut Sauce:


2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons coconut coconut cream
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste





Whisk together peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, sugar and crushed red pepper in a small bowl until smooth.


Don't wait to have a party to try this because then you'd have to share!

Have a great weekend!

34 comments:

Carol Murdock said...

Katherine...this really sounds YUMMY!! :)

buffalodick said...

Very creative! I love peanuts, and the flavor- but never have embraced it on poultry or meat... Just me, I guess... The best compliment your guests can give you is to have no leftovers!

The Diva on a Diet said...

Oh how I love Satay! I swear I could just eat that sauce off my finger tips ... how uncivilized!

Great party recipe ... though I agree, best to keep it to yourself.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

pretty pretty pretty

easy and quick, and makes a great presentation. I ALWAYS try out new recipes on guests...Fortune favors the bold

gigi said...

Oh my gosh this made my mouth water! Peanut butter and coconut, say no more!
That's a happy weekend recipe.


verificattion word: tenesses

Donna-FFW said...

When its a winner with children, its a true winner in my book. It sounds fantastic!! I love satay and this version sounds so so tasty.

Pam said...

Yum! I love the marinade and the sauce. I could eat the whole plate by myself.

Marguerite said...

Coconut cream and peanut butter sounds like a blend made in heaven. Looks divinely delicious, cher! I always color outside of the lines. Kinda goes along with being a Cajun. :) Have a fun weekend!

Dewi said...

All time favorite. Looks scrumptious katherine!

The JR said...

Looks like something I want to make. Recipe printed.
Ramona

Anonymous said...

This sounds just heavenly!! Wish I had all the stuff so I could make it tonight. Yum!

Lucy..♥ said...

Another "Satay" lover here, and I must try this one!

Anonymous said...

My husband asked me to make satay the other day and I had no idea how to make it since I've only eaten it once a while ago. Thanks so much for posting this recipe, definitely bookmarking!

Chris said...

I was going to ask you for the recipe when I saw it on the table of your party the other day, so I'm glad you posted it.

Marjie said...

We eat lovely leftovers for breakfast, too! I'm so happy that this was a great hit! Your party must have been wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Another eerie Internet Coincidence--chicken satay w/peanut sauce is on the menu for a Sunday get-together! We've been looking forward to it, but this post has my mouth watering in earnest:)

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really do sound good. They also look very appetizing. I have to try these. I'm a big fan of peanut sauce and go to extremes in order to use it.

Katy ~ said...

Katherine, I am sure you never fail to surprise and delight those you serve. This looks special indeed!

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks fabulous to me!

Christo Gonzales said...

I love this stuff! I am always looking for a new peanut sauce and this one with the coconut cream really sounds nice - thanks for posting!

Reeni said...

This is perfect!! Love the sauce with the coconut cream, it sounds so incredibly delicious!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Looks delicious but must admit I've always followed my own "rules" and many, many times make a new recipe for company. It may not be perfect but it's always tasty.

Selba said...

What a yummy chicken satay! I love chicken satay!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a perfect treat for a party. Your recipe sounds so good and yummy.

Anonymous said...

Who's "they"? I always try new recipes on guests...I didn't know you're not "supposed" to! Haha!

Oh and the satay is GREAT! I wish you could come down to Singapore to try real satay for yourself by the salt sea in the open next to the BBQ!

pam said...

I love chicken satay, but haven't made it in ages.

I always try something new for guests, I get a little nervous for awhile, but it usually turns out okay!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I have always wanted to make that. Seriously. Sounds so delicious!

Hope you are having a good week!

XOXO
Jen

NKP said...

I absolutely love chicken satay, delish!

Hornsfan said...

Katherine this looks delicious, this is one of my absolute favorite dishes, always requested when Mom's willing to cook it for me :)

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Oh this is great!! Hubby just had this yesterday and he just can't stop raving about it. Now he wants me to try it out at home and I don't have to hunt around for a GOOD recipe :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yum Katherine.... That sounds fabulous.. I love peanut butter--anyway I can get it. SO--this recipe definitely caught my attention.

Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Joanne said...

I like to cook outside the lines also. Sometimes it's fun to try out new recipes on people just to get their feedback! I know I would love this peanut sauce though...anything with coconut AND peanut butter is a no brainer.

Jamie said...

I absolutely love peanutty sate but have never made it. This meal looks so delicious that I may grab this recipe and try it, minus the guests (more for us!). Luscious!

Anonymous said...

This looks right up my alley. Can't wait to try the recipe. Love your blog.

Lea Ann
www.highlandsranchfoodie.wordpress.com