Sunday, August 30, 2009

Boyd's Creek Salad

It's August, people don't even want to think about turning on their stoves or ovens, except me.

Close your eyes and picture it...well open them and read this, then close them and picture it.
It's a beautiful and somewhat cool summer evening, the children are at a soccer game scouting an upcoming opponent. Your spouse isn't home, you're home alone for a couple of hours and you don't have to cook dinner.

What do you do? Watch a movie, read a book, take a walk or a run? Want to know what I did?

I created the most labor intensive and best tasting salad I have ever made in my life. Yes, I am Katherine and I have a problem. One taste of this salad and you won't care what kind of problem you have.

But let's just overlook my OCD and check out this salad that serves two.

Boyd's Creek Salad -
First, let's make some spicy and sweet walnuts as a salad topping. Pecans would be excellent prepared this way too.

Spicy and Sweet Walnuts




1 cup of walnuts
3 tablespoons of Lea & Perrins
3 teaspoon hot sauce
Emeril's Essence or Creole Seasoning



Toss the walnuts in the Lea & Perrins and the hot sauce.



Spread the walnuts out in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with Essence or Creole seasoning. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes.


Set the walnuts aside to cool slightly.



In a medium sized pot, add 1/2 cup of sugar.




Add just enough water to wet the sugar. Don't stir.



Bring the sugar and water to a rolling boil over high heat for 3 minutes. Remove pot from heat and add walnuts. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar turns white and crystallizes.




Spread walnuts on a parchment paper lined pan to cool.



Wash, drain and tear 2 cups of romaine lettuce. Peel, core and thinly slice one Gala apple. Soak the apple slices in freshly squeezed lemon juice and set aside.
Spring Onion Vinaigrette -
1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup of canola oil
2 tablespoons of clover leaf honey
4 spring onions or scallions, green tops only, blanched
Salt and black pepper to taste
Place all of the ingredients in a blender to emulsify and you have a dreamy, velvety and tasty vinaigrette.
Now let's assemble our masterpiece!


Place the lettuce, apple slices, some shredded sharp cheddar cheese (goat or feta cheese would be really good and for you bleu cheese lovers, I bet that would work too) and the pecans in a chilled bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over the top and toss.
This is a salad that is meant to be enjoyed slowly. Then I thought, who is Boyd and why is a creek and a highway and now a salad named after him or her?



37 comments:

Selba said...

Wow! What a great salad you made!

Definitely can tell from all the pictures that a lot of labor to make the salad but hey, then the outcome is so worth it!!! :D

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I LOVE this... gonna be making it soon

thanks for the great blog

SusanD said...

This looks and sounds scrumptious. I've tried some of your nut recipes before and they are always delicious. I'll be so glad when we're in our new house so I can have all my cooking tools out of storage. Then I'll be trying more of these great looking meals. Blessings, SusanD

theUngourmet said...

Your post made me giggle! :D

This does look super delicious! Good for you for making yourself a yummy salad!

Chef E said...

Great, me too, I always end up cooking something, and then in walks hubby...love the walnuts for the salad! I knew even if I did not have my glasses on Id recognize those ingredients just by the label!

Julie said...

Just looking at that makes my mouth water! Yum :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sounds luscious! How nice you were able to enjoy in solitude. I love candied nuts on my salads. Yours look super delicious.

Cathy said...

Great job!! It's going on the list for this fall.

Carol Murdock said...

I have a bag of Indinola Spicy Pecans in the freezer, I'm going to try them in this!

gigi said...

Oh my, you really out did yorr self on this one, Katherine. I'm licking my lips on this one. Have a wonderful week, Happy Monday.

Anonymous said...

That is one excellent salad - I love the spring onion vinaigrette and the walnuts, yummy!

Marjie said...

It's always better to make a fussy dish just for yourself. Then the fussbudgets amongst us cannot complain.

And talk about cooler weather! Can you believe it's noon and 58 degrees right now???

Queen B. said...

i love salads !!!!!!!!!!!!11
this looks amazing.

The Diva on a Diet said...

I don't know Boyd, but I want to get to know this salad. Outstanding mix of flavors and textures here. Katherine, you are a woman after my own heart ... love it!

teresa said...

my mouth just started watering more and more as i went through your instructions. i love salads, adn this looks like the kind of salad i could eat for days!

Jennifer said...

Oh my GAWD that salad looks yummy, I think I could just munch on the nuts too!

buffalodick said...

You use a lot of the same name products I do!

The JR said...

Good looking salad.
Ramona

The Blonde Duck said...

Questions to ponder will enjoying this tasty salad!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Gosh Katherine, Can I 'rent' you --to come to my house and make us some of those fabulous recipes???? That salad made me salivate.. ha ha ... I could just eat those walnuts by themselves...

Thanks so much!!!! Anytime you want to make a trip to the plateau--I'll be glad for you to take over my kitchen and make us a great Cajun dinner...

Hugs,
Betsy

Sasha said...

Kudos, Katherine : )

Debbie said...

Now that salad looks fantastic! The walnuts alone did it for me. I can literally imagine how good that must taste....I will be making this.

pam said...

That salad looks like it's worth every step!

Sara said...

Wow, this salad looks amazing! Those spicy and sweet walnuts alone, make me want to make this salad. Yum!

Greg C said...

I have a new salad love in my life; Goat cheese. Somebody stop me. Those walnuts look great.

Dewi said...

Your salad make me drool!

Katy ~ said...

A labor of exquisite love!

Reeni said...

This has to be one of the most delicious salads I've ever seen!! Love those walnuts and the dressing! Crazy good.

Heather S-G said...

Now that is an amazing salad! I could go to town on the nuts alone :D yummy!

Coleens Recipes said...

Oh this looks SO tasty!!! Thanks for sharing.

Penny said...

You had me at the walnuts. Love this salad.

Joanne said...

Whenever i have a free moment I definitely think of ridiculous things to cook as well! I mean, over spring break instead of sitting around and doing nothing I took it upon myself to make gnocchi from scratch. At least the salad looks like it was worth it!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

This is a fabulous salad Katherine. I do adore nuts on my salad. Takes them up a notch.
Sam

Lea Ann said...

This looks fabulous. I love a good salad and will be making this very soon. Labor intensive is right up my alley.

Lea Ann
www.highlandsranchfoodie.wordpress.com

angelia mcgowan said...

That looks amazing! I love the sweet and spicy nuts, perfect for this time of year!

tavolini said...

Yum! I love the spiced nuts--this looks like a good salad to tackle.

Hornsfan said...

Delicious looking salad!!