Monday, January 5, 2009

Baked Cornish Game Hens

It sure seems like everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Year! Hopefully I can get back on track with posting.


I cooked cornish game hens for Christmas dinner. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of pictures of this dish. It did get a little hectic in the kitchen which I'm sure most of you understand since it was probably like that at your house.

The method I used to prepare these cornish hens made way for a fall off the bone tender, juicy and really tasty treat! I cooked five game hens, but depending on the size of the Dutch oven you use, you may be able to cook six at one time.


Wash each of the hens thoroughly inside and out, remove all of the debris from the inside cavity. Pat them dry with paper towels and set them aside. Heat a Dutch oven (5-quart size) on the stove to medium-high heat. Pour in 1/4 cup of peanut oil and heat it until it begins to "ripple". The oil needs to be at least this hot in order to sear the game hens, and seal in their juices.

While the oil is heating, generously season the hens with salt, black pepper and red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, and dried basil.

One or two at a time, lower the hens into the hot oil and fry them down until they are richly browned all over (be extra careful that you don't tear the skin). Once browned, remove them from the pot and allow them to drain on several sheets of paper towels.

After browning all of the hens, immediately drop into the Dutch oven immediately 2 cups of sliced oyster mushrooms and fry them down until they too reach a golden-brown color. Then add in 2 cups of diced onions onions, 3/4 cup of diced bell pepper, and 6 cloves of garlic mashed and fry down these seasonings until they wilt, soften, and pick up the rich brown color of the mushrooms.

And here is where this dish really comes together! While continually stirring the pot, drop in the 1/4 cup of parsley finely chopped, 1/2 cup fin chopped green onions, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet, 1/4 cup dry sherry, 1 cup of chicken stock, 2 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour.

Lower the heat to simmer and cook the mixture for approximately 10 minutes, whisking it occasionally to keep the flour from lumping. When the seasoning base is completely blended and smooth, turn off the burner and spoon half of the mixture from the Dutch oven into a heat safe bowl.



Nestle the game hens down into the pot (stand them on their heads, breast-side down and drumsticks up). They should fit and hold each other upright.




Evenly ladle over the game hens the mixture you previously removed from the Dutch oven.

Cover the pot and place it into a pre-heated 350-degree oven and roast the hens until they are tender and basted in their own juices. They should be done to perfection in about an hour and a half.

Notes:

1. The hens create their own juices as they pot-roast, but if you'd like more than what is rendered out naturally you can always stir into the pot a little extra chicken stock after the poultry is cooked.

2. Be careful when removing the hens from the Dutch oven. Chef's spoons work great for lifting them out of the pot.


10 comments:

gigi said...

I have never! You make it seem so simple and do-able. Must have been a delicious Christmas dinner.

The Blonde Duck said...

Tell the homegirlz I'm petioning to have YOU adopt me! Well, let's see. I get up between four and five in the morning and go to bed around 10. I've got a really flexible job I tend to let slide some (most) of the time. Friday my boss was on vacation and I was "on assignment". I write really fast for both the blog and work, so I get stuff done quickly.

I'm actually working on more stories I can't post. I find I do better if I work on a story and let it churn for a few days in my mind instead of obsessiving over one. That's why I do a few at once--otherwise I'd get really bored and start screwing storylines up. I'd write more but I don't want to confuse people. Not everyone is as crazy as me.

Basically, I'm really lucky I have a job that gives me so much freedom. Otherwise, I would not be such a happy duckie.

And I don't go out much. At all. Ever. We don't have a lot of friends down here b/c we just moved here three years ago, and most couples our age are either having kids (terrifying right now) or drinking singles (terrifying). I have girlfriends I go to lunch with during the week, but Ben works so much (60+ hours a week usually) I usually lock everything down on weekends so his head doesn't explode.

And that's my secret. Write, workout, cook, dance around and play with Chihuahuas "on assignment."

I'm really quite dull.

Marjie said...

I love cornish game hens! To me, they're perfect - my kids used to say, "Everyone gets their own tiny chicken!" I love the idea of your sauce. Happy New Year, and welcome back, Katherine!

Peter M said...

I have never heard nor seen cornish hens done this way and the result looks delish.

La Bella Cooks said...

These look divine! It has been so long since I made cornish game hens for dinner and this reminds me I need to give them a go very soon.

Reeni said...

They look delicious! You are so awesome! I have to admit I let out a little giggle at seeing all their legs sticking out like that! I'm glad your back, I missed your posts!

Debbie said...

Wow - that sounds like a great way to cook cornish hens. I haven't made them in years and then I only baked them. I will try this sometime soon. It just sounds sooo good!!!!

Michele said...

Great idea and fantastic recipe!! I'll try these out on Phil over the weekend. We both love cornish game hens. I never would have thought of cooking them this way.

Maria said...

You went all out! How fun!!

Andrea said...

I've never made cornish hens but these look delicious! I'm hoping to get back on track blogging too...now that the holidays are over.