Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Grilled Chicken with Sweet Onions

When I'm cooking for the picky homegirlz, I can always pass off chicken of some sort. They are starting to get wise to my ways when they ask what's for dinner and I tell them chicken, they says, "Ok, Mom, how are you cooking it this time?" I kind of get real vague and tell them I'm grilling, baking or roasting and for now that's the story I'm sticking to. Chicken is so mellow and so versatile that I can play around with different flavors. I came up with this and it was so good. C'mon, I'll show you.

Grilled Chicken with Sweet Onions -



In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons fresh thyme chopped fine, 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped fine, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.



Slather 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with the herb mixture on both sides and let them sit for a while so the flavor can permeate the chicken.





While the chicken is hanging out, slice two yellow onions.




Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and add onions once skillet is hot. Add about 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt and 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper to the onions and combine.



Add 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons orange marmalade to the onions and blend.




Add about 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and another pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper to the onions, cover and lower heat to medium-low and let the onions cook down and get sweet.





Heat a grill pan (or you can use the outdoor grill) to medium-high, coat the grill pan with a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking. Once grill pan is heated, add chicken. Let the chicken cook for about 5 minutes before turning.




Continue cooking chicken until cooked completely through and golden brown. Check on the onions and stir occasionally. You will notice the onions are cooking down and becoming slightly thick with a syrup. Added bonus - heavenly aroma!




Plate the chicken and garish with chopped flat leaf parsley.









Serve the chicken with a heaping spoonful of he sweet onions. The combination of the sweet and savory will make you feel like there's a party going on in your mouth.





It's Wednesday...it's August and very hot...time to shake things up a bit!





9 comments:

April said...

Oh yum! This looks delish!

Greg C said...

I love those sweet onions, they just don't love me. I had some last night and I am in pain right now. I keep eating them though. :)

Lanny said...

As always you're making my mouth water! YUM!

I sure wish it would cool down though. I'm anti-cooking when it's this hot.

Paula said...

Oh lordy, lordy does this sound terrific. How clever to add the marmalade to this! I'm so impressed with that idea! I've just GOT to try this. YUM!

Prudy said...

I love the idea of orange marmalade in the onions. I have half a jar in the fridge and I"m doing this!

John Roberts said...

Chicken, onions - how can you go wrong? Another one I'll have to get Theresa to try.

Jenny said...

What a great grilled chicken recipe! I'll have to break out my grill pan and get grilling, it really looks terrific!

Lori said...

Your girls are lucky to have such a good cook as their mother! This looks delicious.

Aggie said...

I love those onions! They sound so good over the chicken!